Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maddison Vs Johnny Williams

Assuming JW is injury free rest of the season and he plays well, what would you value him at? Also assuming he is offered a new 2 year contract in the next few months so under contract.

If Maddison is worth 2m+ with 6 months on his contract surely JW will has some decent value in him .

IMO he should be offered a decent contract as he seems to very much enjoy it @ CAFC 

Interested to hear comparisons and opinions on Maddison as my knowledge on the lad isnt fantastic, all i know is they are similar age & Maddison has 9 goals 9 assists compared to Williams 5 assists

Comments

• Good point, in his defence he was injury free for 10 months before this latest injury. I'm just thinking out loud as we need to project our assets, and he is a potential asset if.......injury free 🤞
  • I doubt our bid for Maddison accepted by Posh was £2m +.

We probably offered around a third of that, reflecting how long the existing contract has to run.
    Pretty normal practice.

The Posh chairman needs to get what he can now.
    The player is worthless to him in the summer.

• JW is such a good footballer - Hope he stays fit for rest of season.One thing that Maddison has though is goals .Woud love to see JW score for us.Hey would be great to have them both in the team

• Oggy Red said:
    I doubt our bid for Maddison accepted by Posh was £2m +.

We probably offered around a third of that, reflecting how long the existing contract has to run.
    Pretty normal practice.

The Posh chairman needs to get what he can now.
    The player is worthless to him in the summer.

This.  Except with the additional cost of his wages, meaning he's worse than worthless: he's a cost. 
  • Good point, in his defence he was injury free for 10 months before this latest injury. I'm just thinking out loud as we need to project our assets, and he is a potential asset if.......injury free 🤞
    Apart from the months he missed at the end of last season. 

Outstanding player, he had been fit for the last 5 years he wouldn't have played in league 1, may even have not played in the championship.  
  • JW is a proper lovely bloke creates goals but never scores, MM apparently isn't a lovely bloke, creates goals and scores a fair few. The former never managed a long run of fitness.
  • Williams 4 goals in 166 appearances.

Maddison 77 goals in 280 appearances.
  • Maddison never played in championship, williams one of the best talents in the league (if he added goals he would be a premier regular), plus Maddison seems like a bit of a prick whilst Williams is the nicest guy in football, only one winner from me
  • Sponsored links:

• Maddison will get more goals.
  • Absolutely have no doubt that Bow has a plan to get the both of then in the team. 

Whether that means a formation change (4231 anyone?) Or one of them playing a deeper role like the Gallagher role. JW has in the past said he wants to play one of the side of the diamond roles. My worry with that is hes probably not physical enough off the ball or a strong enough tackler. But with the right players around him tht could work. Equally maddison has the physicality to do that role but we wouldn't want to lose his goals by not playing him at the tip of the diamond.
  • Charlton have an extra season extension option with Williams 
  • ross1 said:
    Charlton have an extra season extension option with Williams 
    There’s an option. I’d imagine its division dependant though
  • Think we are looking at johnny through rose tinted glasses? that said he gives 100%  and more he wants to be at the club 100%
    So I'd rather take that all day long than some stroppy sulky player with attitude who actually realy truthfully doesnt want to be here(and we've had plenty of those in the past) or would have signed by now
  • Love JW but he is (and probably always will) miss 1/2+ of every season with injuries and he ain't getting any younger. Maddison is the best available, in our budget, and has many good years in front of him. Maddison as our starter with Jonny as backup seems like the smart move to me.
  • edited January 2020
    Love JW but he is (and probably always will) miss 1/2+ of every season with injuries and he ain't getting any younger. Maddison is the best available, in our budget, and has many good years in front of him. Maddison as our starter with Jonny as backup seems like the smart move to me.
    They’re the same age, you plum. 
    Maddison is about two weeks older, if you want to be really pedantic (and who doesn't?).
    I think it's easy to forget Williams is still relatively young.
  • Gillis said:
    Love JW but he is (and probably always will) miss 1/2+ of every season with injuries and he ain't getting any younger. Maddison is the best available, in our budget, and has many good years in front of him. Maddison as our starter with Jonny as backup seems like the smart move to me.
    They’re the same age, you plum. 
    Maddison is about two weeks older, if you want to be really pedantic (and who doesn't?).
    I think it's easy to forget Williams is still relatively young.
    Yep , wait till he gets older and all them niggles restrict his playing time
  • edited January 2020
    Williams injury history isn't bad luck. Any player with his record clearly has a genetic predisposition to muscular injuries. I'd say the run of 10 months without an injury is probably the lucky part. 

For that reason, he will never be worth much despite his ability. He's the kind of player you could build a team around, but you never could build a team around, because he'll never play enough. 

I'd still offer him a contract because on his day, he is absolutely brilliant, but we need to make sure we have adequate cover and that we're not putting him at the core of our plans.

I'm also really pleased he's found somewhat of a home at Charlton, having been round a few clubs and clearly not been valued or happy, because he seems like a top bloke and a hard worker and he deserves it. Injuries aren't his fault and he clearly cares and tries his best for the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not going to happen, but in an ideal scenario, how good does this midfield/front line look, with Maddison and Williams splitting and going wide when we go forward

------------------Toney
    -------Maddison -- Williams
    ----Mowatt -- Pratley -- Cullen

• Chunes said:
    Williams injury history isn't bad luck. Any player with his record clearly has a genetic predisposition to muscular injuries. I'd say the run of 10 months without an injury is probably the lucky part. 

For that reason, he will never be worth much despite his ability. He's the kind of player you could build a team around, but you never could build a team around, because he'll never play enough. 
    Recent injury is to the miniscus, which isn’t a muscle. 
    I also have a miniscus injury, although mine hasn’t prevented me from playing for Charlton. 
  • edited January 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

Recent injury is to the miniscus, which isn’t a muscle. 
    I also have a miniscus injury, although mine hasn’t prevented me from playing for Charlton. 
    Cartilage, muscles, ligaments... Muscles themselves, the things that hold muscles in place, the things around muscles... The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone... It's a genetic predisposition to injuries which I said was muscular injuries which I think is fine but ok.
  • Would much, much prefer this:

Taylor Toney
    Williams
    Mowatt Cullen
    Pratley
    Doughty Sarr Lockyer Matthews
    Phillips
  • Not sure Mowatt is very likely. Same with Toney.

Much more likely to see us go back in for Gnanduillet instead of Toney and then Fraser or Barlaser instead of Mowatt.
  • edited January 2020
    Absolutely agree. Just stating preference over @CAFCsayer's suggested side.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Would much, much prefer this:

Taylor Toney
    Williams
    Mowatt Cullen
    Pratley
    Doughty Sarr Lockyer Matthews
    Phillips
    Playing with two Goalkeepers... Phillips as striker!!

Hmmm not sure I agree - Certainly think Williams will get over ran as sole defender
  • Felt wrong typing it up in that way.