Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    So many words saying so little new.
    Who'd a thought it?
    Go media!
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Who'd a thought it?
    Go media!
    Thanks for saving me 2 minutes of my life.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    MrWalker said:
    Who'd a thought it?
    Go media!
    Thanks for saving me 2 minutes of my life.
    You can watch this then:

A film by Tom Brandhorst. Getting our Charlton back. Unmissable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=JmVt8WJNXys&feature=emb_logo

• Options
    News is so yesterday 🙃
  • Options
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    Who'd a thought it?
    Go media!
    A tad unfair.
    99%+ of the Guardians readership wouldn’t know the half of what happened at Charlton. A good article I thought for non Charlton fans.
    Fair enough, but what ‘more on the takeover’ was there?
    It seems like old stuff in a new place.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    Who'd a thought it?
    Go media!
    A tad unfair.
    99%+ of the Guardians readership wouldn’t know the half of what happened at Charlton. A good article I thought for non Charlton fans.
    If it were a daily mail article people would be tripping over themselves to say "IM NOT OPENING THAT RIGHT WING RAG"  :D

Fantastic article!
  • Options
    I think this is the first article that highlights the role the fans played in forcing the owner out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Huskaris said:
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    Who'd a thought it?
    Go media!
    A tad unfair.
    If it were a daily mail article people would be tripping over themselves to say "IM NOT OPENING THAT RIGHT WING RAG"  :D

Fantastic article!
    Of course they would - if it were in the Mail they would have written about former Charlton owner Karl Oyston upsetting fans at The Den, marches in his home town of St Etienne and how good incoming chairman Matt Greenford is...  :D   
    You obviously don't like the Mail. Fair enough. But your criticism of it for the coverage it gave our protests are far wide of the mark.

It did in fact cover many of the protests in detail and very sympathetically. It also covered the protests in a lot more detail than many other nationals.

A fact you may not like but true.
    You are quite right - I detest the Mail, I have no idea how much or little coverage they or any other newspaper gave, I wasn't measuring; but my comment was aimed at the general tissue of lies it spouts, rather than the specifics - the laugh emoji was put there to represent that I wasn't entirely serious.    
  • Options
    It is "more" in the sense that, as @iainment says, it gets our story to a wider audience. That will be very valuable for the future, especially if - Heaven forfend - the takeover does not work out as we have been led to believe.

The article's author is not a Guardian staffer. he is the guy who has already created the excellent film highlighted by @Oggy Red, and platformed on Copa 90. The Guardian has given that a much wider audience too. 

Finally, for those like @MrWalker and @Huskaris who are politically averse to the Guardian and anything in it, a little bit of history.

In 1985, when "we" decided to up sticks to Selhurst, one national newspaper thought this was a big enough mistake to deserve an editorial about it. An editorial! That paper was The Guardian.

In 1989 when we first announced we would return one national newspaper thought this was a big enough good news to deserve an editorial about it. That paper was The Guardian.

In 1990 when the Valley Party was launched, most of the print media either ignored it, or scoffed (the Evening SubStandard especially). One national newspaper covered it all, from the launch to the triumph on election night. That paper was The Guardian.

In 1992 when we went home, there was significant coverage in many papers, but one newspaper included in its double page spread an article by Michael Grade on the day, embellished with a huge iconic photo of a shaven-haird young fan in the crowd in tears. That paper was The Guardian.

The journo who covered the Valley Party, Martin Thorpe , who sadly passed away in 2016, continued to write about Charlton's rise through the 90s, highlighting the community club aspect. His modern day equivalent is Owen Gibson, who actually lives in Charlton and was a guest at a CAST meeting a couple of years back, where he explained the increasing commercial pressure that forces papers like the Guardian to focus on FAPL stories. 

If you want to have a go at the Guardian, fill yer boots on the politics threads. I'll see you there. But know that for 35 years Charlton fans have had no better, more consistent friend in the national media than The Guardian.
    I had no idea Martin had passed away - spent quite a bit of time with him on that election night. Stand up guy and good company.  
  • Options
    Slightly concerned that the story about two people having sex on the pitch is illustrated with a photo of @Mosscat and @charltonnick

These are to upstanding Bromley Addicks and are in no way connected to such events

: - )
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Has that banner in the article made its way back to the museum yet @Henry Irving?
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    Has that banner in the article made its way back to the museum yet @Henry Irving?
    Given that the person holding it is one of the museum's trustees what do you think?

🤔
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    Given that the person holding it is one of the museum's trustees what do you think?

🤔
    I wasn't sure if Thomas Driesen had stolen it and claimed that he had discovered the paint i used for it and that he overruled me on the fabric i chose.  

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Politically averse to the Guardian??
    Weird observation.
    i assume the word ‘media’ escaped you.
    ‘Journalism’ is 98% cut and paste/ press release copy / social media trawling, with precious little investigation any more.
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    cafcwill said:

🤔
    I wasn't sure if Thomas Driesen had stolen it and claimed that he had discovered the paint i used for it and that he overruled me on the fabric i chose.  

I did hear that he was the real creative genius : -)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Politically averse to the Guardian??
    Weird observation.
    i assume the word ‘media’ escaped you.
    ‘Journalism’ is 98% cut and paste/ press release copy / social media trawling, with precious little investigation any more.
    So you are not politically adverse to the Guardian then. Good for you.   
  • Options

Sounds like he just didn't 'understand'. That's on him, not us.

Although, to be fair, that's a really cutting headline. I imagine it really put those he was so cross with to the proverbial sword. I'm sure that taught them.

• Options

Although, to be fair, that's a really cutting headline. I imagine it really put those he was so cross with to the proverbial sword. I'm sure that taught them.

You do realise BBW that by responding as you did it shows you do care.
    #Notaproppaspanner  ;)

Of course I care. I'm a compassionate kind of guy and full of empathy for others' plights, regardless of their worthiness ;)
  • Options

One of your better interventions, BBW, I will give you that. However your last sentence is obviously problematic. For it to have happened it would have  involved Spanners reading the Guardian. 

We're a broad 'place where people congregate to worship a make believe deity' so am sure that all forms of rag on both the left and right are read, cover to cover, to enable a balanced viewpoint to be formed. We're certainly not the type of people to read one side and then dismiss the other without ever having read it. That would mean we'd only ever hear our own voices, repeatedly, fading in to the distance of ones own self made chamber ;)

That said, people don't read the Guardian. The Guardian preaches at it's readership.

• Options

#Notaproppaspanner  ;)

Of course I care. I'm a compassionate kind of guy and full of empathy for others' plights, regardless of their worthiness ;)
    So what are you doing on the Dark Side, matey?

Just pop down the The Valley next Wednesday evening, wearing your anorak and with transpotting notebook in hand, and you'll be made very welcome.
    Elfsborg will even buy you a drink (he's the one with shorter legs than AFKA). :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

#Notaproppaspanner  ;)

So what are you doing on the Dark Side, matey?

Just pop down the The Valley next Wednesday evening, wearing your anorak and with transpotting notebook in hand, and you'll be made very welcome.
    Elfsborg will even buy you a drink (he's the one with shorter legs than AFKA). :smile:

Some would say due to child abuse, much like the religious bestowment so many suffer from at the hands of their family.

If I turned up at Charlton then the fiery gates of Hellwall would definitely be my only destination when I either rot in the ground or am burnt to ashes (I have no preferred method. Am happy to be chucked on a skip if truth be told. Why? because I'll be dead and none the wiser) :)

Thanks for the offer, though. It's the thought that counts ;)