Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prague visit

edited January 2020 in Not Sports Related
Me n Mrs G are visiting Prague for 4 days towards the end of March.
Staying 5 minutes from old town.
So we’re after recommendations from the well travelled CL set, i’m interested in WW2 so have been looking at a couple of walking tours taking in the tunnels and Anthropoid story (assassination of Heydrich) but we are open to other suggestions, so fire away! 
Edit- accommodation and flights sorted.
Apologies if there are similar threads but searching didn’t find much.
cheers 

Comments

• Not been for many years so my info out of date,  best you ask @PragueAddick
  • I took a 4 hour walking tour and it was excellent. It had a short tram ride in the middle, and the architecture/history/WW2 stuff is fascinating (sometimes in a horrible way of course).
  • Greenie said:
    Me n Mrs G are visiting Prague for 4 days towards the end of March.
    Staying 5 minutes from old town.
    So we’re after recommendations from the well travelled CL set, i’m interested in WW2 so have been looking at a couple of walking tours taking in the tunnels and Anthropoid story (assassination of Heydrich) but we are open to other suggestions, so fire away! 
    Edit- accommodation and flights sorted.
    Apologies if there are similar threads but searching didn’t find much.
    cheers 
    You can go to both hooters, great chicken wings!!
  • Can recommend these guys for something a bit different
    https://www.prague-underground-tours.com/
  • Went back in October. Didn't take a walking tour but instead did our own walk around and got everything crammed in. Fantastic city and would go back there in a heartbeat. We stayed at the Iron Gate Hotel and their restaurant Deer was fabulous. If you like a bit of music then would also highly recommend GastroBar 1401. Restaurace Mincovna was also excellent. HTH.
  • Zizkov for a night out, 5 mins by tram and off the tourist trap.
  • edited January 2020
    Re Heydrich, you can visit the church where the assassins holed up - note the air vent outside which the Nazis used to pump water into the vault where the assassins were hiding. It was very hard to find, twenty years ago, but I did track down the street corner where Heydrich's car was attacked - probably it's general knowledge now where it is and maybe there is some sort of plaque here. If you have time museum on the site of the original village of Lidice is worth a visit as is the Terezin concentration camp.
  • These guys will help you out better than I could. They're on a mission to get people to see the real Prague, and also to put the scammers out of business. You might find the writing style, and some of the choices, more targetted at your kids, but I've got the book and there is loads of stuff, and loads of places I didn't know about and want to try. My wife was also pretty surprised and impressed.

As for eating and drinking, good to see Restaurace Mincovna mentioned. I've taken several Lifers there. Combination of Pilsner Urquell beer from the tank in perfect condition, and really good mid priced food, with food-matched wine by the glass offered. Most amazing thing is it is right on Old Town Square, where literally every other place is a rip off. It now has a competitor in what we might call the superpub league called Cerveny Jelen., but despite it being owned and run by a good buddy of mine, I have to say that it is so ambitious that I have heard several reports of teething problems. It is a beautiful conversion of a big old bank, and has three operational floors and a capacity of 500. Maybe check with me nearer the time on that one.

I usually get asked about cash, just do ATMs. Use the public transport system as much as poss. A 72 hour pass costs you just over a tenner, and covers metro, tram, buses, the funicular up Petrin hill...I think the Airport Express bus is not included but that may not be any use to you anyway, depending on your location.If you get it, you must validate on first use, but only that once. If you are travelling light, consider not using the airport taxis because they are all ****s.
  • edited January 2020
    Went back in October. Didn't take a walking tour but instead did our own walk around and got everything crammed in. Fantastic city and would go back there in a heartbeat. We stayed at the Iron Gate Hotel and their restaurant Deer was fabulous. If you like a bit of music then would also highly recommend GastroBar 1401. Restaurace Mincovna was also excellent. HTH.
    Another thumbs up for mincovna after the recommendation from @PragueAddick.
    unbelievably cheap considering the location.
    also learnt a bit from our air bnb host as directly opposite our flat was a place where archduke Ferdinand lived for a while on the mala strana side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went there for a few days a few years ago with a mate, apart from the bars didn't see much else, but I visited and in no particular order.

The street where Heydrich was assassinated.
    The crypt where the Czech paratroopers were holed up in. They still have the bullet holes in the wall.
    The castle.
    Jewish quarter.
    Night clubs your wife wont want to visit.
    Boat trip up and down the river.
    Lovely walks in the historic area.
  • Central Europe’s largest nightclub is in Prague (or at least it was when I last visited), take your missus there. 
  • Was there in October for the England game and absolutely loved the place and would love to go back with the wife. In my top 3 Eastern European city’s with Krakow and Budapest.
  • Can vouch for the 3 day transport passes as advocated by @PragueAddick. Be careful to use them properly though. We had a long and uncomfortable discussion with the transport police who were looking to impose a spot fine because we did ours wrong. The protocol is that on the first time you use your pass, you must put it in the little machine to validate it. Do not do what we did which is to try and validate it every journey. This simply overprints another date/time and makes it unreadable, at which point they'll say your ticket isn't valid. 

Some other recommendations here: https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/83563/visiting-prague#latest