Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan---why didn't he play

2»

Comments

• Options
    I’ve been of the opinion that Bows doesn’t fancy Albie in the respect of fitness.  He likes 3 out of 4 of the midfield to be end to end, the old fashioned way, Albie doesn’t quite offer that.  Hence why start of the season he said he wanted to loan him out to work on his defence side of things.
  • Options
    Not sure how true it is but heard a rumour that he had a big row with Bowyer.  Couple of guys on the coach.  Not sure what it was about but now out of favour...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    cafc-west said:
    Not sure how true it is but heard a rumour that he had a big row with Bowyer.  Couple of guys on the coach.  Not sure what it was about but now out of favour...
    If that's true and we've all thought we knew best when an old head was giving us the benefit of their experience at work but when it comes to the boss there is only bound to be one winner especially one who has been there seen it and done it at the highest level.
  • Options
    JFC

Morgan is good and will improve but Jake is better.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    Never seen a player so keen to get off when substituted than young Dempsey. Far too early for him in first team. But needs must I guess 
    Yes, I thought that. he couldn't get off quick enough.
  • Options
    Whilst I think Albie will become a very good player, at the minute he just isn't good enough for a relegation scrap and based on the very little I've seen of Dempsey he isn't ready either,  Bows has obviously seen something in training to make him think Dempsey was the best option yesterday.
  • Options
    Albie is coming along just fine. There have been improvements but Bowyer is right that he’s not quite ready for this level yet and needs a season of regular starts in League 1. He needs an epiphany on the road to Norwich like Parker had. The boy will still make it though. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    In the post game interview Bowyer spoke about how all our academy graduates have ability on the ball but need to learn the defensive side of the game. He said how George Graham told him if he didn't learn to defend, he'd drop him. And he did drop him for 6 weeks. How learned his lessons and grew from there. That might be what's happening with Albie who clearly can pass the ball around but maybe is switching off and not tracking runs or getting into the right defensive positions.
    I think this is spot on especially with Bowyers post match comments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rows happen for a number of reasons. And football encourages them. Players often feel managers have favourites and/or are being unfair. 
  • Options
    I've no problem with Bowyer thinking that Albie isn't ready for Championship football

Slightly concerned though if Bowyer thinks Dempsey is MORE ready than Morgan. Morgan played in L1 last season, and in some key games whereas the highest Dempsey has played before his recent debut is Dulwich Hamlet in National League South. I saw one of those games and would never have picked him out as someone who would be playing FOUR divisions higher a few weeks later.
  • Options
    maybe maybe we can send him to Peterborough on loan as part of the Maddison deal (she rumours thread)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I've no problem with Bowyer thinking that Albie isn't ready for Championship football

Slightly concerned though if Bowyer thinks Dempsey is MORE ready than Morgan. Morgan played in L1 last season, and in some key games whereas the highest Dempsey has played before his recent debut is Dulwich Hamlet in National League South. I saw one of those games and would never have picked him out as someone who would be playing FOUR divisions higher a few weeks later.
    I think Bow wanted to set up defensively and frustrate WBA which is a game and formation more suited to Dempsey frm what I have seen than Albie. An extension of his 'horses for courses' philosophy with Sarr and Pearce if you like.

The fact that an under strength side nicked a point from the league leaders vindicates his decision in my view. I'm sure Albie will play when Bow deems the circumstances right.
    Not blaming Dempsey specifically, but we were losing 2-1 when he went off so it's not as if we were that solid when we were on! And that was with Pratley having a MoM type performance alongside him
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    LenGlover said:

I think Bow wanted to set up defensively and frustrate WBA which is a game and formation more suited to Dempsey frm what I have seen than Albie. An extension of his 'horses for courses' philosophy with Sarr and Pearce if you like.

The fact that an under strength side nicked a point from the league leaders vindicates his decision in my view. I'm sure Albie will play when Bow deems the circumstances right.
    Not blaming Dempsey specifically, but we were losing 2-1 when he went off so it's not as if we were that solid when we were on! And that was with Pratley having a MoM type performance alongside him
    True, but were we more solid for that period than we would have been had Albie started rather than Dempsey?

We'll never know the answer to that of course but those are the decisions that managers are paid to make and, in a situation when injuries force you to start 3 players that began the season as Conference level or below (Albie was Conference too don't forget until recalled), I think an unexpected point against the league leaders justified the manager's decision.

Don't get me wrong, I like Albie as a player and his vision and ability to pick a pass are exceptional but at this stage of his development he is a bit of a luxury, given the present state of the rest of his game, in an under strength team.

• Options
    I don't think either are ready yet. Its a weakness whilst we have injuries. 

That said, fair play to them both as have come in and tried their best and did a job. Im sure theyll develop.
  • Options
    With the current injury situation a lot of Bowyers choices aren't necessarily who is the best choice for certain positions but more who is the least bad. 
    We rely on the youth not by choice but because we have to. Neither of the two are realistically going to be completely ready yet but they are all we have.
  • Options
    I was home for the Bristol City game and thought he was a very good passer. The ball to Bonne for the first goal was superb. He looks like he is carrying a little bit of weight and gets subbed usually around th 65 - 70 min mark. I think he can be a very good player if his fitness improves.