Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton the next Man City

edited January 2020 in General Charlton
So MS says that Tahnoon el Charltoon wants to do a Man City. 

Can this be done without losing the Charlton we all love?

Personally i think that largely a club is the people you share it with. Whether we are battlers in the Championship, winners in League One or a sustainable (dare i say it - winning) premiership club, the club comes down to the shared experience (good or bad). I think Charlton will still be Charlton because you and I, together, will still be Charlton. Whatever our future holds, Charlton will be experienced and defined together. The new owners seem to get that, so whatever wrong turns they take i think Charlton will be fine under this lot.

On a side note how could charltonisation inhibit such lofty ambitions?

Comments

• Options
    As there are no flags anymore, I’d like us to be the next Palace. 🤐
  • Options
    I don’t think we’re going to see the same sort of spending you saw at Man City when they were first taken over. By all indications, this will be a gradual increase with smart investment, and I’m more than happy with that 
  • Options
    A laughing stock, ridiculed by everyone else?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    cfgs said:
    A laughing stock, ridiculed by everyone else?
    Actually, to be serious, I think Palace became the next us (apart from the fact they are a scummy sort). I’m sure they wanted to get to a time when they didn’t want to be a yo-yo club. 
    Personally, that’s where we need to aspire to be once more. Plus I think giving LB the chance of five years means that could be a realistic target with the success in recruitment we’ve had in the last 18 months. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don’t think we’re going to see the same sort of spending you saw at Man City when they were first taken over. By all indications, this will be a gradual increase with smart investment, and I’m more than happy with that 
    Got to remember that Man City's owners managed to sneak in and join the top table just before FFP came along

FFP after all is aimed at stopping clubs from breaking up the monopoly of big clubs along with Manchester United | Arsenal | AC Milan
    I think we are taking his comments a bit too literally. He said Tahnoon has seen what’s going on with Man City from Abu Dhabi and wanted a bit of that....as in owning and participating in the investment of a football club. He didn’t say on the same scale as City.
    Get what you mean but in which case I dont think he had to mention Man City if he didnt mean that type of investment

Of course MS spoke about not wanting to lure or tempt fans back but at the same time spoke about increasing revenue etc. - Well thats one way to do it as fans will surely want to get on board if they think we'll be the next big thing
  • Options
    Got to remember that Man City's owners managed to sneak in and join the top table just before FFP came along

FFP after all is aimed at stopping clubs from breaking up the monopoly of big clubs along with Manchester United | Arsenal | AC Milan
    I think we are taking his comments a bit too literally. He said Tahnoon has seen what’s going on with Man City from Abu Dhabi and wanted a bit of that....as in owning and participating in the investment of a football club. He didn’t say on the same scale as City.
    Get what you mean but in which case I dont think he had to mention Man City if he didnt mean that type of investment
    I assume he mentioned Man City because of the Abu Dhabi connection, rather than because he expected to be at that level, as if you wanted a club to become a global giant, you wouldn't buy us.
  • Options
    You could question why not?

You've got crossrail (dont laugh you lot!!) coming along, London City Airport is only a short distance away along with Stratford International and the regeneration going on around North Greenwich

Its certainly not a quiet area of London

But then on the other hand I'd agree, why buy a club so far down the food chain? - Surely if you wanted to build the next Man City you'd aim for better established club like Newcastle perhaps

Its not just about location and history though, dont know about anyone else but whilst I love the club name its not one you'd consider as being one that would belong amongst the big boys e.g.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 FC Barcelona

Just doesnt look right does it - Doesnt have that branding you'd associate with other clubs out there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes I got the impression the only mention of City was because of the link with coming from Abu Dhabi and following football. 
  • Options
    So MS says that Tahnoon el Charltoon wants to do a Man City. 

Can this be done without losing the Charlton we all love?

Personally i think that largely a club is the people you share it with. Whether we are battlers in the Championship, winners in League One or a sustainable (dare i say it - winning) premiership club, the club comes down to the shared experience (good or bad). I think Charlton will still be Charlton because you and I, together, will still be Charlton. Whatever our future holds, Charlton will be experienced and defined together. The new owners seem to get that, so whatever wrong turns they take i think Charlton will be fine under this lot.

On a side note how could charltonisation inhibit such lofty ambitions?
    He didn’t say that at all. 
  • Options

100% this, although it was perhaps a bit naive to mention Man City specifically - it's bound to get some people a bit over excited.
  • Options

You've got crossrail (dont laugh you lot!!) coming along, London City Airport is only a short distance away along with Stratford International and the regeneration going on around North Greenwich

But then on the other hand I'd agree, why buy a club so far down the food chain? - Surely if you wanted to build the next Man City you'd aim for better established club like Newcastle perhaps

Its not just about location and history though, dont know about anyone else but whilst I love the club name its not one you'd consider as being one that would belong amongst the big boys e.g.

Charlton Athletic 3 6-1 FC Barcelona

Just doesnt look right does it - Doesnt have that branding you'd associate with other clubs out there

I agree - it definitely doesn't look right.

I've corrected it for you. There - that looks better.
  • Options
    He might've referenced Man City, but he also said they ain't gonna just throw £millions at it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Charlton Athletic 3 6-1 FC Barcelona

I agree - it definitely doesn't look right.

I've corrected it for you. There - that looks better.
    Nah I thought the score would be 3-1 not odds of three to one ;)
  • Options
    Please. ManCity always had much bigger crowds and gate reciepts. And the owners threw a billion into it over ten years. Same with Chelsea. All that was before FFP. Owners are limited by FFP now and it can't be replicated that way.
  • Options
    One mention of Man City and people's imagination runs riot. 

Calm down guys, the first week of the window indicates to me there is no big pot of cash.
    If you wanted to build a new super club you would need a stadium of say minimum 50k capacity.
    In fact it still feels like we are a bottom feeder club.

• Options
    Don't care where we end up so long as it's not League One! As for Billy Big Bollocks ideas, all I care about is the club getting back to its roots and bringing back the clubs heart and soul, i.e all those souls that were and are the lifeblood over the decades and getting them involved again.

Also to NEVER leave The Valley. I feel others may have bigger ones than us (grounds that is) but if size mattered the likes of Bournemouth wouldn't have made to the big time and stayed there, all whilst remaining rooted in Dean Court (Vitality stadium my arse)

Forget the Nigel's. I want us to do a Bournemouth. Come up through the league's and compete with the best (most of the time) all.the while staying at The Valley. 
  • Options
    You wouldn't build a superclub in the championship. City were taken over in the prem.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we're looking at current clubs to emulate someone like Brentford (apart from their lack of an academy) would make more sense at this point. They aggressively recruit young and relatively cheap talent with an aim to sell them on into the Premier League within a couple of seasons. If we start making serious money from selling players FFP becomes far less of an issue and we can then have a proper crack at promotion.
  • Options
    They intend to build a stable and well-organised club along with a competitive Championship squad. Then I presume, they intend to build a promotion-winning team. Whether or not they can do that, or go even further, will depend on how smart they are, how long they want to do this for and whether they get the first part right. 

I’m a critic of the Man City situation, but one thing I wouldn’t question is how they’ve built a well run business with good community outreach. It sounds like our guys want to emulate that. 

What I object to in City's case is Mansour’s intentions - to use City as a tool with which he can whitewash his country’s human rights record. To make us say ‘who cares that gay people are persecuted, have you seen how good that team is?’

I love what Southall is saying, it’s pretty much what most of us spent years dreaming we’d be hearing. If we can be sure there aren’t City-style motives in the background, I’m all for it. 
  • Options
    Manchester City? What a pity.