Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We Didn't Sack Curbishley!!!

Anybody else get irritated by the football media continually getting it wrong about why Curbs left?
"The Totally Football Show" today is the latest to have a pundit claim that the club sacked Curbs because we were bored with the football or wanted to be more ambitious.
When, in fact, Curbs left because he didn't want to renew his contract.
We wanted him to stay! FFS.
I keep hearing this over and over again by lazy pundits, on TV and radio, when they go into their "be careful what you wish for" routine, when discussing a Premier League team that's in relegation trouble.
Annoying!

Comments

• Options
    Move on.  ;)
  • Options
    Agreed that he certainly wasn't sacked, although many people thought that his time had come despite doing an excellent job for us.

For sure, Curbs and his team would have loved to have had the budget made available to his successor. This was made clear a little later in a radio interview.

Who knows what might have been if Murray had released those funds to Curbs, would he have stayed, would our history have been different?  
  • Options
    Who?
  • Options
    He was sacked though...

Murray got rid of him a year before his Contract was due to expire because he didnt want to be signing players whilst telling them that their Manager wouldnt be around next year

Wonder how he felt under Roland then, how things change.
  • Options
    Murray binned him off so he was as good as sacked .
    Wasn’t due to the pressure of thousands of angry fans demanding European qualification and more exciting football though.
  • Options
    Just you wait til @oohaahmortimer gets in here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pringle said:
    He was always burning since the world's been turning.  

Ever since man was cremated
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Wasn’t due to the pressure of thousands of angry fans demanding European qualification and more exciting football though.
    You are right about the style of play but wanting European football? Nah I don’t remember that . We are Charlton don’t forget. ( I know we finished 7th one season)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Where are they now? 😒
  • Options
    Sadly there were a lot of fans who felt as though a change was needed (when it absolutely wasn’t), but a lot of people then get defensive when that suggestion is made. But it’s true - some people genuinely felt as though we needed to do something different.

How anyone in their right mind thought Iain Dowie was the person to ‘take us to the next level’ though still amazes me.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Sadly there were a lot of fans who felt as though a change was needed (when it absolutely wasn’t), but a lot of people then get defensive when that suggestion is made. But it’s true - some people genuinely felt as though we needed to do something different.

How RICHARD MURRAY  thought Iain Dowie was the person to ‘take us to the next level’ though still amazes me.
    There . I’ve changed that for you 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

How anyone in their right mind thought Iain Dowie was the person to ‘take us to the next level’ though still amazes me.
    Once Curbs wasn't around anymore, the first mistake was hiring Dowie.  The second mistake, in my opinion was firing him when we did.  We were unfortunate with injuries, players Dowie signed (like Andy Reid) hadn't played much but the performances were starting to improve, albeit results weren't.  Dowie was then fired just as he was starting to get his preferred team on the field.  I would have given him another 5-6 games whilst trying to line up a potential replacement.  He was fired with no one in mind as a permanent replacement.

Anyway this was more than 10 years ago lets move on!

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Alan Curbishley said either the fans or the tedium would tell him when it is time to go. Curbs said he came a different way to work every day from his home in Essex as it became too routine.

Those fans that wanted him out were principally the Johnny come lately's who jumped on the premiership band wagon and disappeared after we went down. Most loyal supporters I know were fully supportative of him.

I do think things had gone stale but if Murray had given him the money instead of Dowie, things may have been different.

Murray offered Curbs a three year contract which he turned down.
  • Options
    This Curbs thing is/was always gonna divide opinion. Personally, I think he'd gone as far a he could with the players/budget/nouse available. For me, at that time we never replaced Kinsella & Rufus. Roy Keane was quoted as saying Kinsella was 'top drawer' & an ex pro I spoke to felt that if Rufus distribution was better he would of played for his country. At the time we crying out for the money from Parker to be reinvested in to strengthen the depleted spine of the team with players of that ilk & I think Curbs/Murray knew that would take more than the money available.
    In all honesty,we were always punching above our weight. BUT, this has nothing to do with Kinsella/Parker/Jenson era. I felt your Holland as a central midfielder trying to carry the likes of Ambrose/Hughes etc was never gonna get us anywhere near the Premiership stability.
    I must admit I smile when 'shock jock' Durham churns out, "be careful what you wish for, look at Charlton". 

Ive/will never buy into the over achieving Premiership side (Curbs at the end) set up to not concede". I'd rather concede/get thumped knowing Charlton had gone out  & 'had a go', 'left it all on the pitch" than the dross  that was served up from Curbs & his front man Day at the end of his/ their tenure.
    I never wanted Curbs out because of not qualifying for Europe, just wasn't  enjoying what he was serving up anymore.
  • Options
    Netaddicks archives will tell you that a vociferous element wanted Curbishley out because Premiership midtable mediocrity was boring and Curbishley wasn't good enough to take us into Europe or have a cup run.

Deluded as it seems nearly 14 years later these people existed and dominated the radio phone ins and internet. The likes of me who defended Curbs were invariably accosted by a tag team in a manner similar to the House REMAINERS ganging up on a stray LEAVER unwise enough to express an opinion on the Brexit thread before it got banished to the bowels of the earth for the benefit of those too young to remember or be involved in the debate at the time.

What would we give for boring Championship mediocrity now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder whether Burnley fans want rid of Dyche or Bournemouth Howe?
  • Options
    Len, I've never been an advocate of "my support is better than yours"/ "I'm right -your wrong". Your thoughts are different to mine on Curbs, just felt he ran out of ideas at the end. We both love Charlton & im sure if we met we'd have a good chin wag about the great times he bought to our great club. As said its history & a new dawn awaits.
  • Options
    The fact remains, the fans didn't drive Curbs out. That they did seems to be the accepted truth.  It was pretty clear that Curbs thought where he could take the club was below his ambitions as a manager. He was probably right, and I think he realised this when we lost Parker. Some might be a bit young to remember, but with Parker that season, we were the fourth best team in the country. I don't mean because our position was fourth, I mean we were the fourth best team. Had we kept Parker, I am in no doubt we would have finished at least fourth instead of the seventh place we ended up. I am in no doubt also that Chelsea bought Parker to stop us as much as anything else. That must have hurt Curbs a lot. I'm sure he saw it as the limit - as far as we could possibly go as a club. 
    Exactly as I see it
  • Options
    Also bollox to Parker. 
    No I haven't forgiven him
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I wonder whether Burnley fans want rid of Dyche or Bournemouth Howe?
    Some of the latter do. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Also bollox to Parker. 
    No I haven't forgiven him
    If you take the view we clearly share, it is hard to forgive. Ultimately, whilst he had a very good career, I think the move at that time detracted from what he could have achieved. I recall Man Utd and Arsenal had gaps in the summer he could have filled. He won PFA young player of the year which had absolutely nothing to do with what he did at Chelsea where they didn't even play him in his best position.

As for Curbs. I said I thought he realised his ambitions went beyond where we could go. And whilst I think he was right, sadly for him, he never got that chance. He did a great job at West Ham, keeping them up, but taking them to a tribunal, even though he won it, killed off his chances of getting the sort of job he wanted and he wasn't willing to start low and build it up again like he had done with us. 
  • Options
    I said to my brother at the time that taking West ham to a tribunal he would never manage again. 
    He never did.
  • Options
    The fact remains, the fans didn't drive Curbs out. That they did seems to be the accepted truth.  It was pretty clear that Curbs thought where he could take the club was below his ambitions as a manager. He was probably right, and I think he realised this when we lost Parker. Some might be a bit young to remember, but with Parker that season, we were the fourth best team in the country. I don't mean because our position was fourth, I mean we were the fourth best team. Had we kept Parker, I am in no doubt we would have finished at least fourth instead of the seventh place we ended up. I am in no doubt also that Chelsea bought Parker to stop us as much as anything else. That must have hurt Curbs a lot. I'm sure he saw it as the limit - as far as we could possibly go as a club. 
    We sponsored Curbs once and so glad we did for the chance to enjoy an evening dinner with him and get to know the man a bit. He told us then how hurt he was by Parker going.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Billy Wright turned us down 1st.

Gullit and George Graham both applied for the job.