Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Re The possibility of a football stadium on the Peninsula?

edited January 2020 in General Charlton
I’m sorry to bring this subject up again as it’s been done to death, but I think I have missed something here and would like to understand it better.
A few days back there was a map on one of the threads with the plans for a stadium on a piece of land on the peninsula water front.
When was this map/plans made and by whom? 
Is that piece of land actually still available, is it a viable project or an old map made when it was a vacant site?
Or is it just some fanciful idea by persons unknown?
Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Old map and no spare land from what i understand
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Got more chance of being dumped out in deepest darkest Kent somewhere instead of over the Peninsula, personally can't see a move there being financially viable
  • Options
    Is there enough space in the Peninsula now?

So much housing going up compared to when the initial rumours came out - Id question if they could fit a huge stadium over there
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Old map and no spare land from what i understand
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Rothko.
  • Options

So much housing going up compared to when the initial rumours came out - Id question if they could fit a huge stadium over there
    Buy and demolish the O2, build our new stadium there  :D
  • Options
    edited January 2020

The O2 structure won’t last forever.....indeed I wonder what the life expectancy is?
    Interesting what will happen as and when that day arrives.....not that I’ll be here to see it happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The O2 structure won’t last forever.....indeed I wonder what the life expectancy is?
    Interesting what will happen as and when that day arrives.....not that I’ll be here to see it happen.
    Easy to replace the roof panels, AEG are planning to start the work in the next 5/10 years, the steel works of the netting and masts had a minimum life of 60 years. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Was originally a 20 year plan, however due to its success it wont be going anywhere anytime soon.
    I wonder who owns the land..........it must be worth gazillions!
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Easy to replace the roof panels, AEG are planning to start the work in the next 5/10 years, the steel works of the netting and masts had a minimum life of 60 years. 
    Had an idea that (or something similar), might be the case.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Was originally a 20 year plan, however due to its success it wont be going anywhere anytime soon.
    AEG own the land the O2 is on, and have no intention of selling up, it's their most profitable arena they own by all accounts, and they own some of the best arenas in the world. 

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Due to the lack of space, latest I heard is that they intend to build a plunge stadium on one of the existing buildings.

Plans currently being devised on how to get the ball back each time it goes out of play.
  • Options
    The O2 if I recall correctly was originally Imtended to be a very temporary structure but quite late on a decision was made to make it capable of being permanent. The k Mo obey it makes it’s going nowhere.

The ownership of land in the peninsula has also been covered extensively. property development group Knight Dragon own nearly all the land.

This includes the land where the driving range is. The driving range only has a limited term lease but whichever some have hypothesised this land could be released for a football stadium, and while this may be possible, most commentators seem convinced Knight Dragon have another (flats) purpose in mind. You can’t develop all the flats at the same time.

there is a long term plan

https://www.greenwichpeninsula.co.uk/whats-on/the-peninsulist/the-masterplan/

• Options
    Got more chance of being dumped out in deepest darkest Kent somewhere instead of over the Peninsula, personally can't see a move there being financially viable
    Would be interested in seeing your budget forecast for this one.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

West Ham?
  • Options

His Excellency will be building an island in the middle of the Thames near the peninsula that will boast a 70,000 seater stadium as well as a six star hotel, bars, shops and restaurants.

The stadium will be the new home of 2024 UEFA Champions League finalists Charlton Athletic.

Too small, we won’t be able to beat our record attendance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    colthe3rd said:
    Would be interested in seeing your budget forecast for this one.
    Just an opinion mate, based on the theory that residential development brings in more money than sports stadiums and, what little land is left down on the Peninsula, would command a premium price? Meaning imo we might as well stay put in our ancestral home.

Have you got a budget forecast that says otherwise then?
  • Options

His Excellency will be building an island in the middle of the Thames near the peninsula that will boast a 70,000 seater stadium as well as a six star hotel, bars, shops and restaurants.

The stadium will be the new home of 2024 UEFA Champions League finalists Charlton Athletic.

And feature the highest building in the western world, the burgh al Addicks which overlooks the 70k ground on one side and the Thames on the other 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    The 20 year masterplan for the peninsula was approved in 2015. It has no provision for a stadium. It's mainly residential (12,000 units) with provision for schools, health facilities, film studios, a hotel and offices plus a road network, landscaping etc.  
    There's a revised masterplan that's currently lodged with RB Greenwich for approval...

Still no provision for a stadium!
  • Options
    That´s all good news. But I do still worry a bit about RBG. @AFKABartram published a map of development planned fór Charlton a while ago. It was mainly concerned with north of Woolwich Road, but there was something about the way the Valley was marked up on it, that bothered us. Perhaps the Boss will remember more.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Jints said:
    The 20 year masterplan for the peninsula was approved in 2015. It has no provision for a stadium. It's mainly residential (12,000 units) with provision for schools, health facilities, film studios, a hotel and offices plus a road network, landscaping etc.  
    There's a revised masterplan that's currently lodged with RB Greenwich for approval...

When did Red Bull buy Greenwich?

Or are they purchasing Millwall with that being their new name with a new worldwide rivalry beginning
  • Options
    That´s all good news. But I do still worry a bit about RBG. @AFKABartram published a map of development planned fór Charlton a while ago. It was mainly concerned with north of Woolwich Road, but there was something about the way the Valley was marked up on it, that bothered us. Perhaps the Boss will remember more.
    The area south of the Woolwich Road/railway isn't in scope

https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2014/10/19/charltons-riverside-masterplan-whats-it-all-about/
  • Options
    Jints said:

When did Red Bull buy Greenwich?

Or are they purchasing Millwall with that being their new name with a new worldwide rivalry beginning
    Red Bull have bought Greenwich, and in return Monster have bought Lewisham
  • Options

Finalists?
  • Options
    6 1/2 year old article and it appears there was a popular takeover thread at the time lol

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/57297/new-article-going-over-old-ground-new-ground-and-the-regeneration-of-charlton/p1