Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who owns the Valley? - The Ownership Thread

Comments

• RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I’m (almost) with @AFKABartram on this. It’s not an issue until it’s time to conclude that part of the deal. 

I’m just slightly concerned that after supposedly looking at how the fanbase has been “misled” by prior owners, and stating they want to fix that, they start out by once again misleading the fans. Deliberately or not, it just reminds us of what we thought we’d just got rid of.   

If we keep schtum until it becomes an issue it may be too late, I don’t know, maybe it won’t but I can’t see the harm in asking for clarification. 
    If we get clarification and it's not what people want to hear then what? 
    Get some plastic pigs and beach balls in. 
    Ok but I'm not flying to Abu Dhabi to protest 😉.
    They're pretty relaxed about spray painting?
  • Yep definitely going to make money out of those adult diapers and the mattress protectors.

FFS. 

Q: Do ESI today hold the freehold of the Valley or Sparrows Lane

A: No

Q: Will ESI definitely own these freeholds with full title (directors loans aside) as soon as the relevant legal work is completed

A: yes as I’ve already said we are fully committed to the purchase it just takes longer than access to this transfer window

Q: so ESI will absolutely own all the assets related to Charlton Football Club including the free title to the Valley and to Sparrows Lane within let’s say 2-4 months, no ifs or buts, it will be paid for as part of the vision you and the backers have for the club

A: Yes. I thought I had said that before but let’s be clear, my backers will own everything. 

Q: so why didn’t this all happen at the time your backers paid Duchatelet for the club

A: now I’m pretty sure I’ve answered this before but to be totally clear, we wanted access to this transfer window and we could not get the property transactions ver the line in the same timescale. Judge us in March and if we haven’t done it by then ask me again. 
    Didn't have the time or space to put it quite like that, but YES.

But I'll only give it till beginning of Feb - get Bowyer signed up and a handful of decent signings and all's well.
  • Not sure why the alarm reaction 

Doesn't this in reality only become an issue in the run up to their 6 month obligation if it has not occurred yet?

I’m these are the aspects which took the EFL time to question and scrutinise. They then gave the green light to proceed.

Worry when there is something tangible to worry about is my view. Not sure what stepping on the scrutiny gas at this point is going to achieve other than more angst. 
    Does the fact that our new chairman lied to us not worry you ? He clearly said ESI own the Valley but has now said that they don't ?
  • There’s no questions need answering

this is the biggest problem people poking their noses where it’s not needed 

If people stop looking for negative news stories to break to feel important you will all feel better in the long run 

ESI to date have likely put no money at all into the club. In 2 weeks except for the loan signing of Greene, they have achieved nothing but separate club from land assets, not even sign Bowyer to a new contract despite that being a stated objective from 6 weeks ago and Bowyers desire. 

I think it entirely understandable questions are coming out rather than blind optimism.  

Doesn't meand people don't still have hope they are the real deal, doesn't mean it is negative and doesn't mean people are bed wetters.  MS said he would always be honest with fans and explain decisions so it is only fair to give him that chance.
    :-) :
  • Does the fact that our new chairman lied to us not worry you ? He clearly said ESI own the Valley but has now said that they don't ?
    And that's why we're known as the Trainspotters. Attention to detail is triggered by too many years of mediocrity followed by TOFKAR thus instilling a scepticism that really feeds cynicism.

Doesn't this in reality only become an issue in the run up to their 6 month obligation if it has not occurred yet?

I’m these are the aspects which took the EFL time to question and scrutinise. They then gave the green light to proceed.

Worry when there is something tangible to worry about is my view. Not sure what stepping on the scrutiny gas at this point is going to achieve other than more angst. 
    Does the fact that our new chairman lied to us not worry you ? He clearly said ESI own the Valley but has now said that they don't ?
    People don’t seem to mind liars these days. Look how many support Trump and BoJo.

• - MS is talking about commencing building works at the training ground
    If it eases anyone's minds, I know for a fact that plans are firmly in action on this front
  • edited January 2020
    Yep definitely going to make money out of those adult diapers and the mattress protectors.

FFS. 

Q: Do ESI today hold the freehold of the Valley or Sparrows Lane

A: No

Q: Will ESI definitely own these freeholds with full title (directors loans aside) as soon as the relevant legal work is completed

A: yes as I’ve already said we are fully committed to the purchase it just takes longer than access to this transfer window

Q: so ESI will absolutely own all the assets related to Charlton Football Club including the free title to the Valley and to Sparrows Lane within let’s say 2-4 months, no ifs or buts, it will be paid for as part of the vision you and the backers have for the club

A: Yes. I thought I had said that before but let’s be clear, my backers will own everything. 

Q: so why didn’t this all happen at the time your backers paid Duchatelet for the club

A: now I’m pretty sure I’ve answered this before but to be totally clear, we wanted access to this transfer window and we could not get the property transactions ver the line in the same timescale. Judge us in March and if we haven’t done it by then ask me again. 
    I don’t have time these days to read all the threads but if this is a real transcript from what Matt has said to someone then I really do wonder what world some people live in

they can’t say no more than that can they and yet people still want more 

And those that want the answers are old enough to not be snowflakes and Milennials
  • Sponsored links:

People don’t seem to mind liars these days. Look how many support Trump and BoJo.
    Head blown 

with no smiley I take it your serious I feel sorry for you honestly if this is not sarcasm Or banter 
  • Perhaps rather than looking up who our youngest ever debut players were, MS should have read ‘Battle for the Valley’ first..........

Head blown 

with no smiley I take it your serious I feel sorry for you honestly if this is not sarcasm Or banter 
    Whoosh..🤗
  • So we lose Gallagher to another team in our own division, the transfer of Maddison is on hold or falling apart, Roland still owns the soul of the club.... anything else to make the day worse?
    I’ve got my weigh in tomorrow and just had 2 Ferrero Rocher and a Lindt ball :-(
    Hope the ferroro’s aren’t from his excellency’s stash otherwise you are in trouble son 😝

Head blown 

Whoosh..🤗
    Thank god 
  • edited January 2020
    Nth London Addict. Serious question - what is it you know that gives you so much confidence?. Can you share with the rest of us??
    It’s nothing that I know and it’s nothing hasn’t already been said in the RD years 

imo the club was complicated in what was found in due diligence and I doubt that any of it changed pre purchase so i am of the opinion that it’s being sorted whilst ESI are here rather than leave it to be done before they done the deal 

those that are now shit stirring or scaremongering trying to be some sort of expose Detective

know this as well  

Give them 6 months and then judge 

maybe I just don’t worry about things that others do

but then that wouldn’t sell copy or gain membership if it was said that people should sit back and wait 

this is just ridiculous absolutely ridiculous that people are concerned right now 

for no reason 

Matt Southall is just being honest things change so quickly maybe This is the Strange part like bows said

because maybe other potential buyers would’ve just walked away at every obstacle instead of finding ways to circumnavigate it 

Rome wasn’t built in a day charlton wasn’t sold for yrs despite so much interest 

things take time and are done In private 

The real business shouldn’t be conducted in public 

Shitstirring and scaremongering? Really. To me it’s just that some of us require some clarity. Have ESI purchased The Valley inc freehold or not? Simple question to which so far we have had two answers, yes and no. 

Lets say six months down the line ESI say we can’t afford to buy The Valley or Sparrows Lane but we are going to rent them from that nice man Roland Shitweasal would you be happy?
    Of course, if our new owners were loaded, this would be far less of a concern. But their failure to even tie Bowyer up to date is giving us reason to doubt that they are. Then we get to Douche bag. I was surprised anybody wanted to buy the club from him because he was clearly asking too much for it. If this deal meant that he got shot of the bit of the club that he didn't want, he might not be bothered too much about whether ESI complete the buy out or not. The important thing for him is to be free of responsibility and potentially what he owns of the club is worth more without the club attached to it.

It would be telling and the sign of a benevolent seller if the deal was structured as such, that should ESI not meet their obligations, the part of the club they own would revert to Roland. I suppose as if you buy a car with a promise to pay for it later and then don't. We know Roland values the bit ESI own to the extent that he has publicly said he willing to give it away after all. But it comes with the assets too, or has done up to now. My fear is that Roland wins if they do deliver (as do we) and wins if they don't. It looks like we have to hope that ESI can deliver what they say they can.

This is not ideal. Given that the reason the deal had to be structured in this way was to ensure we had the sort of January window we need. It would be re-assuring surely, if we start getting the sort of window ESI referred to in the West Brom matchday programme. I for one would still be nervy until the deal is done but far less so. I am the first to be critical of the EFL and was frustrated they were taking so long to sanction the deal but now that is part of this that gives me hope. They must be content that this deal has the right backing behind it as they clearly did not rush the approval through! 
  • So we lose Gallagher to another team in our own division, the transfer of Maddison is on hold or falling apart, Roland still owns the soul of the club.... anything else to make the day worse?
    Might need to borrow some pigs from the museum at this rate...🤦‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• They haven't got any. I think that is one thing they need if anybody has one or two!
  • How many people on here say they own their house, when in fact they own the leasehold but not the freehold?
    Genuine question then, how long is the leasehold they own on the valley?  If you compare with your house analogy then I suspect no one on a short tenancy/ lease says they own their house. No one on a life time sitting tenancy likely says they own their house but those with long leaseholds that hold economic value would, rightly say they do.  I have no idea what sort of leasehold our new owners are supposed to own.
  • And - even if you own the freehold of your house, most people have a mortgage - don’t pay your mortgage payments, lose your house - don’t pay rent on your football ground lease, lose your ground
  • How many people on here say they own their house, when in fact they own the leasehold but not the freehold?

• edited January 2020

Genuine question then, how long is the leasehold they own on the valley?  If you compare with your house analogy then I suspect no one on a short tenancy/ lease says they own their house. No one on a life time sitting tenancy likely says they own their house but those with long leaseholds that hold economic value would, rightly say they do.  I have no idea what sort of leasehold our new owners are supposed to own.

If only we had a supporters trust that could ask these sort of questions.
  • On the other side of this, giving ESI a chance seems to be our only option. I think we should be deeply concerned though. 
    Do they have a leasehold? As far as I can tell all they have currently purchased is a football team that loses money. They are committed to owning the Valley and Sparrows by the summer, but then again I’m committed to going on a date with Margot Robbie in that same timeframe, whether either will happen cannot be relied upon.  
  • se9addick said:
    How many people on here say they own their house, when in fact they own the leasehold but not the freehold?
    Do they have a leasehold? As far as I can tell all they have currently purchased is a football team that loses money. They are committed to owning the Valley and Sparrows by the summer, but then again I’m committed to going on a date with Margot Robbie in that same timeframe, whether either will happen cannot be relied upon.  
    Do you have a contract, executed by both parties, that stipulates that, with a timeframe, monetary consideration and set of penalties and commitments?