Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swansea v Charlton | Thu 02 Jan | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Swansea City v Charlton Athletic
Thursday 2nd January 2020 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Peter Bankes (prev. games: Swansea City)

Introduction
As Big Ben struck midnight we left a decade behind, an era than begun in 2010 was over and on the footballing front has been a period of mixed emotions. With it we've witnessed glorious promotions and dismal relegations, the club has changed hands twice, and the second will surely come to an end soon!! - This Thursday we travel to South Wales for a match up against Play-Off chasing; Swansea City, let’s start this decade the same way we started the last one... With victory!!

The Opposition
Name: Swansea City (9th) | Manager: Steve Cooper
Ground: Liberty Stadium
Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 1-2 Swansea City

Following hot on the heels of our fixture against Leeds United; Swansea coming to the Valley truly marked the start of what was predicted to be a month where Charlton would be rewarded with zero points – Of course that didn’t happen, and once again it looked as though we’d continue to upset the order of things in the Championship; Jonathan Leko scoring in the first minute, giving the home side a deserved lead for their fast start!!

Yet Swansea would show their class for the rest of the game and would record a 2-1 victory - Lee Bowyer earning himself a ban for comments said about the referee that night, ironically the very same referee tomorrow night!!

That victory would send the Swans top of the Championship yet since that evening at the Valley things have gone a bit south for our Welsh opponents – Only four games have been won in total since with a dismal run of results in November have seen Swansea drop to mid-table. As is the way with this league though, a win tomorrow night could still propel them back into the top six (provided results go their way today), prove once again that promotion to the Premier League could still go to just about anyone in the top half of the table

Well… Maybe not Millwall!!

Charlton Team News
You seriously have to question our luck don’t you!! – For weeks fans have been saying that all will be fine once key players return from injury and so bolster our squad, the unfortunate side is that those key players are still to return whilst we’re losing further players (like Macauley Bonne) to new woes!!

Derby County was perhaps one of our worst performances of the season yet it’s difficult to expect anything less when we finish the half with the likes of Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison on the pitch, both young promising players but like Joe Pigott of old, are being thrown in too early!! – So with that all in mind who do we start tomorrow evening? It’s going to be pretty obvious that Adam Matthews will swap with Chris Solly, whilst Lyle Taylor will no doubt return to the starting line-up, we’re supposed to be making a new signing today, so we wait in eager anticipation of anyone who can help reinforce this depleted squad!!

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr | Doughty
Morgan | Oshilaja | Pratley | Gallagher
Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Solly | Purrington | Dempsey | Davison | Vennings

Prediction
Once again people will look at this squad, will look at the opposition and question if we stand a chance of getting a result at the Liberty Stadium – Lee Bowyer has partly built a reputation of someone who can get the best out of the most limited squad yet you have to ask when we get beyond that limit – Rumours are that we’ll make a signing today who’ll make the squad strong, you have to wonder how ready, and how experienced this new addition will be!!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Having (literally) had lumps kicked out of him on Monday,  i doubt that Gallagher will play tomorrow night. No Bonne, either, though if we do get Murray that will help up front. The rest are just wwelfare homever isn't injured...
  • Options
    Given that the game is tomorrow I doubt he’ll play tonight either ;)
  • Options
    Reckon will scrape a 1-0 win. Doughty the scorer
  • Options
    Given that the game is tomorrow I doubt he’ll play tonight either ;)
    Yeah, and I’m not going to watch it tonight either 🌝
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    I'm gutted that this game isn't a 3pm Saturday as it's a ground I've never been to 
    Hard to predict a win with our injuries growing by the week. 
    A backs to the wall 1.1 Draw. 
  • Options
    There is no way we can possibly consider getting anything out of this in view of our ongoing circumstances. 

Which is bound to mean we get a battling one nil win  :)
  • Options
    Woe, woe and thrice woe...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    15-0 to Swansea.

Happy New Year!
  • Options
    Gonna get worse I'm afraid. Just hope there is more spirit than at Derby. If Gallagher doesn't play, think it will be a tough old evening. Just hope we don't get tonked but fear it could happen if we concede early. Will the injured players ever come back?!!!! COYRs!
  • Options
    Anything from this match would be great , hoping for a point , 1-1 draw , Taylor with our goal.
  • Options
    All failing the CAFC height test i am afraid...

• Options
    terrific review/preview as ever .. after the near capitulation at Derby I don't know what to expect.   I just hope that a better, more motivated 11 turn up for the game . T B H the usually optimistic me cannot see us getting anything in the far west except more headaches (metaphorical one please not actual ones)
  • Options
    15-0 to Swansea.

Happy New Year!
    You watch too much Rugby !

6-0 Swansea.

I watch too much Tennis !
  • Options
    15-0 to Swansea.

Happy New Year!
    You watch too much Rugby !

6-0 Swansea.

I watch too much Tennis !
    You optimists crack me up!
  • Options
    I would just settle for a good performance and no more injuries. Think again this will be close but in the end we will run empty again after 70 mins. 3-1 Swansea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Put Nabbs up front in an Akinfenwa role and play 4-4-2. 
    Nothing to lose. 
    If we want some physical presence upfront, then Pearce would be better at it. Naby is more the No 10 playing in the hole  :D
  • Options
    Nothing to lose. 
    If we want some physical presence upfront, then Pearce would be better at it. Naby is more the No 10 playing in the hole  :D
    the deeper the hole .. the better 
  • Options
    Nothing to lose. 
    the deeper the hole .. the better 
    Ffs, that starts the new year well.
  • Options
    Sadly I can’t see us getting anything from the game - apart from another injury or two. Roll on our long overdue good fortune

• Options
    I fear a battering. Except for Sheffield game, we’ve only lost by the 1 goal. 
    Swansea have a great forward line, and the lack of experience in our midfield will allow them to dominate. 

I also think LB is struggling a little at the moment. His post match interview after the Bristol game was interesting for his comments and answers to the press. IMHO He’s seriously frustrated/ pissed off at the moment.

3-0 to the welsh I’m afraid.  
  • Options
    Think this will be the game that we finally get hammered.

5-1
  • Options
    We've been running on empty for miles now and I can't see us getting much further. I agree with @ozaddick that LB is looking very frustrated and feels the world is against him. 

With Bonne and Leko as an outlet we could always nick a goal or two but even that option has gone now and our defence cannot keep a clean sheet- so it's all down to Taylor with Morgan as the provider. If Swansea snuff out those two we are finished.

3-0

• Options
    Hard to see anything but a comfortable Swansea win. 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Phillips 
    Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Matthews, Pratley, Morgan, Doughty 
    Gallagher
    Taylor, (new loanee)

Think we will see a more spirited performance but Swansea are no mugs, Gallagher will be asked to go again despite being patched up with a view to giving him the weekend off, 2-0.
  • Options
    Unlikely point 1-1, I can dream can't I. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!