Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County vs Charlton Athletic 30th December 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Lost comfortably to an average team with 10 men. 

We're getting relegated this season 
    It was utterly dire.

If that was our team for the rest of the season we would get relegated.

It will not be our team for the rest of the season.

We are unlikely to get relegated unless this takeover fails to go through.
    If Gallagher was moved to Burnley, the side would be even poorer and Taylor still likely to go imho.
  • Options
    Ref's assistant who missed the offside should have seen that. I don't have a gripe with the ref on that - he was a bit far away.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Sarr can't defend and had a liability of a second half? He cut out at least 2 dangerous crosses in the second half and made a brilliantly-timed last man challenge. He isn't unfit - he's played a lot of games in a very short space of time, so when Gallagher lost the ball from his pass he wasn't able to recover to catch up with the Derby players - others should have helped! Phillips saved it anyway. Sarr did a lot of good defending. It is completely mystifying why some people want to make him the scapegoat when he gives more than many others
    To be honest mate I think you are a bit blinkered when it comes to him.  Another goal conceded tonight as a result of his poor pass.  It’s not about him giving more than the others when the whole of the back line look poor at the moment.  It’s about him not being good enough defensively at this level.  It will continue to happen time and time again 
    It wasn't a defensive action. He played a ball that two players could have come for, neither did and so the Derby player stole in and took it. A bad pass? Yes. It should gave been better, but two of our players didn't come for the pass. That's basics.

His defensive work tonight was decent. He did most things right. Lockyer probably made a similar number of errors but was protected by a defender beside him in Solly. Purrington was too busy heading off on an adventure that Bilbo Baggins would be proud of to offer Sarr either an option or to support him when Derby intercepted.
    Sorry but Sarr is so far off Championship football it is painful.  End of the season when he leaves he will drift into the wilderness of French Division 2 subs bench's and end up with a post Charlton career like Anil Koc's. 

Nice fella, doesn't hide and nd I will wish him well but he is not a good defender.  His miss placed pass was a key contributor to the first goal but he is just dreadful.  Goes to ground too easily, I just have no confidence in him whatsoever.  Will always support a player in our team but I will certainly not miss him when he goes.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Yet another game we lost by one goal, and yet another game one of those goals we condeded was from a terrible bit of basic defending.

But yeah injuries. 
    So you think Doughty | Dempsey | Davison | Morgan | Vennings would all be involved with the First Team if it werent for injuries?

Yeah, okay!!
    What's that got to do with us conceding another poor goal, from another poor bit of defending fundamentals?

Go back and look at the highlights of our last 5 to 10 games. We have have drawn or lost most of them apart from Sheffield Wednesday by only one goal. I'm not having that convenient excuse about injuries being the reason we are conceding those poor goals.

Our defense has been what has been poor for us for a long while now, and they have been the fit blokes. 
    But who protects the Defence? - The Midfield!!... Who are in the Midfield?

Only experienced player you can rely on from that area is Pratley who hasnt put a foot wrong

Derby second goal comes from the Defence getting it out of the penalty spot and then the inexperienced midfielder (Morgan) not clearing the ball further from danger - Ball is being kicked anywhere because we dont have the Midfielders to carry the ball to safety and so create an attack of our own!!... If we had Williams or Cullen on the pitch then the ball is brought down and a long ball is sent for Taylor to run on to
    Once again. Go back, look at some of the goals we have conceded, and look at how many have been from a duff clearance, or a poor pass, or a player not jumping or making a simple block. That's not down to the midfield, the down to the defender not doing the fundamentals correctly. 

I'm not having a go at LB's management, or the players effort. In fact I think we are doing incredibly well as we are competing in each and every game which is testament to them.

I am however starting to get annoyed at people simply just blaming injuries or knackered players to cover up for mistakes that I personally don't think we should be making. 

The defence is under a lot of pressure because our midfield and attack aren’t good enough at winning the ball, keeping possession, creating chances and scoring goals.

To add to that we have full backs that offer nothing going forward which further limits what we can do when we have the ball.

To properly compete at this level we need more players in the squad with the quality of Taylor, Williams, Cullen, Lockyer and Gallagher.

Our budget has meant it’s questionable whether the back ups in Aneke, JFC, Oztumer etc are good enough, but they’re at least experienced pro’s proven in the leagues below.

Morgan, Doughty etc on the other hand earlier this season were playing u23 football, or in non-league divisions which aren’t even fully professional. I’m not surprised they struggled, some of them started the season as what, 12-15th choices in midfield? I get Bowyer saying no excuses, he’s got to push them as much as he can, but the midfield and attack that ended the game today doesn’t have the quality and experience for League 1, never mind the Championship. That’s not an excuse, it’s the reality.
    We are scoring as many goals now as we did at the beginning of the season, our possession stats are the same if not a little better.

I will say it again. We are losing or drawing games by one goal, and many of them are because a defender has not done a fundamental basic of defending correctly. Not because we have been played off the park because we don't have first team players in the squad. 

Bowyer has us competing in every game, which is incredible really, and testament to how good a manager he is. Yes if we had Williams, and Cullen we would create more chances. But I find it frustrating as a fan that we can still compete but we drop points because of a stupid mistake over some great play from the opposition. 
    As you say we compete but lose games by the odd goal. A better midfield would make a huge difference, the fine margins can turn a game. Instead of losing the ball or making a mistake a better or fitter player might win a free kick or a corner, or pick out a better pass, or intercept/win a tackle. That can lead to a goal that changes the game.

Being able to rest a player can make a difference, a tired clearance, a loss of concentration or yet another injury can be due to playing a player because we have no other option.

I agree we need better defenders but it’s the midfield and attack where we can make the biggest improvements. Saying that I’d like to see us bring in better full backs that offer something going forward, especially given the systems Bowyer tends to play.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Let's look at the positives: 1. It was nice seeing a match with both teams opting to wear their traditional first choice colours. 2. No-one can blame the ref. 3. Err, that's it, there is no three. :neutral:
    Sorry to be that guy, but, we can blame the ref. They should have had someone else sent off for another bad challenge on Gallagher on around the 40 minute mark
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Let's look at the positives: 1. It was nice seeing a match with both teams opting to wear their traditional first choice colours. 2. No-one can blame the ref. 3. Err, that's it, there is no three. :neutral:
    Sorry to be that guy, but, we can blame the ref. They should have had someone else sent off for another bad challenge on Gallagher on around the 40 minute mark
    If we need to play vs 9 to win we have bigger issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    IR94 said:
    Any idea how long Bonne is out for?
    These are times for hamstring injuries but remember to times by 3 for Charlton players.

The time it takes to recover from a hamstring tear can vary widely depending on the site of the injury. A small myofascial tear on the outside of the muscle, may recover in 10 days to two weeks. Mid-muscle belly or musculo-tendinous junction tears (most common) will take approximately four weeks to heal.
    With only a fraction of the knowledge of injuries that Raith has I will simple look into my crystal CAFC ball and hazard a guess...he will be out for 8 weeks minimum. Might put off the supposed Premiership predators like...erm Norwich?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IR94 said:
    These are times for hamstring injuries but remember to times by 3 for Charlton players.

The time it takes to recover from a hamstring tear can vary widely depending on the site of the injury. A small myofascial tear on the outside of the muscle, may recover in 10 days to two weeks. Mid-muscle belly or musculo-tendinous junction tears (most common) will take approximately four weeks to heal.
    With only a fraction of the knowledge of injuries that Raith has I will simple look into my crystal CAFC ball ans hazard a guess...he will be out for 8 weeks minimum. Might put off the supposed Premiership predators like...erm Norwich?
     But it's a CAFC 8 weeks, so season over 
  • Options
    IR94 said:

With only a fraction of the knowledge of injuries that Raith has I will simple look into my crystal CAFC ball and hazard a guess...he will be out for 8 weeks minimum. Might put off the supposed Premiership predators like...erm Norwich?
    It depends on the extent but it is unlikely we are looking at less than 4 weeks. He should have come off when it first happened.
  • Options
    Terrible effort, the two worst full backs in the division by a mile and they stayed on!!!!
    Behave. Chris Solly fits nowhere near that description and there are worse than Purrington.
    name me a worst lb in the league then Purrington?
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Terrible effort, the two worst full backs in the division by a mile and they stayed on!!!!
    Behave. Chris Solly fits nowhere near that description and there are worse than Purrington.
    Lewis Page
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Bowyer said that we weren't making enough clear cut chances up front but for me the main problem is just getting simple defending right. The second goal was awful.

They need to sit down and watch that second goal on video comparing it to Hull's second goal. It was the same mistake. 

I can't see why Solly and Purrington getted called out over this poor defending so much. I thought that Solly in particular did OK.

On this occasion the players most at fault were Lockyer and Taylor. The latter of course isn't a defender but if you are helping out in defense then don't just drift forward only not to come back. God knows what Lockyear was doing. He ran forwards into a zone with two players already being marked by his teammates, not looking behind himself at all to see the unmarked player. He should either be getting there himself or directing Taylor back to cover. Lazy defending. Even a primary school team manager would get upset about that. 

I agree overall with what many others say about players being tired, having no-one else to come in and so on. If a player was tired and couldn't move, I can accept it but running in the wrong direction away from an attacker rather than keeping your wits about you, spotting that he's free and getting the defense organised is just crap. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Lewis Page
    Why, have you seen him play?  :)
  • Options
    We are making basic errors and tiredness comes into it, but we are making basic errors when we are not tired at the beginning of games too. Maybe we are mentally tired but we are missing midfielders that protect the defence and also make it easier to build play. You do have to see football as eleven defenders rather than four or five. It points to the problems you have to solve far better than focusing solely on what you may think is the obvious as invariably it isn't that simple. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    IR94 said:
    Lewis Page
    Why, have you seen him play?  :)
    At least Purrington plays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A bit more perspective. I remember Bowyer saying this summer how agents were laughing at him because of how little he had to spend. They asked him, how are you going to compete? Well news flash, Bowyer brought in a good squad and before this injury catastrophe, we were competing. And despite this losing run, we have been competitive in the majority of our games.

Most of us believed that 21st position would be a successful season, which I still do. We are still 7 or more points to the good of 4 teams with January still to come. 

If these owners are serious and let Bowyer bring in some reinforcements, we will be ok, and I think we'll avoid relegation. 

Nimer better hope that the takeover gets sorted in this next week, or all these cryptic instagrams will make him look very foolish 
  • Options
    Quality reinforcements needed but quick otherwise we'll end up in league one again. I fear there is the danger ESI could walk away. Is it just me but if Southall cannot afford to pay a 10k quid lawyer's bill is that a huge red flag ? 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Having said all that, if there was VAR in the Championship, I think we would be top half!
  • Options
    Wasn't there tonight, but did watch on Sky. Sarr is getting a lot of stick, which is perhaps deserved, but for me the second goal was the one that was truly unforgivable.

Too little championship experience in the team. That also probably impacts a lot on fitness. If you're a kid or a mainly league 1 or lower player, then you probably aren't entirely sure of your positioning yet against these types of teams. That must mean more running for everyone. 

Feel massively sorry for Bowyer. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Watched the game down the pub.

That was a bridge too far for a totally depleted team, some of whom were knackered and/or not 100% fit, whilst others lacked the necessary experience and quality. We also had Oshilaja playing out of position in central midfield. Our defending was very poor once again and the continued concession of 2 goals per game will, if it continues, see us back in League 1. The second goal was particularly dismal.

We were unable to pass the ball with any real intent and creativity and Alfie Doughty and Albie Morgan were unable to recreate their heroics from Boxing Day. We had no real options on the bench, although at least Dempsey forced Hamer into his first meaningful save at the end of the game.

Derby were worthy winners and the outlook for Thursday at Swansea is bleak. In the absence of reinforcements, it is going to be a very tough second half of the season.
  • Options
    I think we must be the easiest side to play against if you have 10 men. Poor poor defending and toothless in attack.

Desperately need some reinforcements as we're running on empty 
  • Options
    Difficult to really criticise given all the injuries, but it wasn't a great night and  without KB's sending off it could have been worse. 
  • Options
    I think we must be the easiest side to play against