Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Elisabeth is missing"

Last night BBC 1 .Top top drama.Glenda Jackson was fantastic playing an elderly lady with Alzheimer's but a bit of a murder mystery as well.

Hard watch ,great acting,terrifying illness.

Last Friday the village Xmas dinner for volunteers.30 peeps 6 with varying degrees of Alzheimer's 14 elderly rest volunteers A great day ,traggic but we'll worth the effort. Tough dealing with that illness periodically let alone every day like their loved ones and seeing the deterioration with no known cure ---- awful

Comments

• Options
    Jackson used to live in Hervey Road SE3 and frequent the nearby shops at Blackheath Standard.
  • Options
    Opened this expecting it to be something about the queen or crossrail being delayed. 
  • Options
    I found it very haunting and worrying, acting was excellent, might get more answers on the getting old thread or at least worry many more of us 😀
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Incredible piece of acting and a very difficult watch. Showed in great detail the terrible nature of dementia.
  • Options
    Lots got to me mate. The moments of clarity within the confusion.

Two years ish at a coffee morning on my table--- one side the gent of the couple had the illness (former test pilot RAF) he sat bolt up right didn't say anything or move.His wife (captained ocean going yachts) did everything for him.
    Other side of me the lady had it and in two hours must have asked me my name and where was her hand bag 50 times. Classic dementia.As they left the lady walked back to me this time she didn't ask my name etc she says " he is my whole life" pointing at her husband !!!!! Blew me away,still does . 

Sadly both have passed away since then but I still see the Yachts Woman at the coffee mornings.
  • Options
    It was an amazing bit of acting.
    Apparently the book is a must read.
    I was in bits watching it.
  • Options
    The film 'Iris' starring Judy Dench about the author Iris Murdoch also deals with the subject of dementia in a very moving way. It's good that 'Elisabeth is missing' was shown as it shows the huge challenges faced by sufferers and their families and all the conflicting emotions.

I should imagine a lot of tears were shed watching it.
  • Options
    Brilliant acting by Ms Jackson. Loved the way it was revealed towards the end about her friend Elizabeth. It was referred to a couple of times during the drama that she had been told about her but not to the exact extent.

A Bafta is surely hers next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    superb acting by GJ and a well crafted drama
  • Options
    Lots got to me mate. The moments of clarity within the confusion.

Two years ish at a coffee morning on my table--- one side the gent of the couple had the illness (former test pilot RAF) he sat bolt up right didn't say anything or move.His wife (captained ocean going yachts) did everything for him.
    Other side of me the lady had it and in two hours must have asked me my name and where was her hand bag 50 times. Classic dementia.As they left the lady walked back to me this time she didn't ask my name etc she says " he is my whole life" pointing at her husband !!!!! Blew me away,still does . 

Sadly both have passed away since then but I still see the Yachts Woman at the coffee mornings.

We went to visit my Nan at the nursing home one Christmas. She didn't really know who I was but I gave her  card and put it up with her others, she must have had 5 shelves full of them.

Took her for a walk around the garden and when she got back to her room, she pointed at the my card amongst all the others and said "that one's new"

• Options
    I'd only just stopped blubbing after watching the elephants & the huge piles of poached tusks when this drama aired....

Very touching. And agree that Glenda deserves an award for her portrayal of the main character .
  • Options
    Just watched on catch up. Gripping and moving.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Best thing on tv for ages. Though it was very moving in places, and Glenda Jackson should get every credit for that, I thought the story with its twists and quality of presentation made it a real captivating watch too.
  • Options
    The acting was excellent which made it a very tough watch.  Part of me thought it was great, part of me was delighted when it finished.
  • Options
    The acting was excellent which made it a very tough watch.  Part of me thought it was great, part of me was delighted when it finished.
    Agree, it was a really squirming type watch. But a great drama, with twists and turns and has been said brilliant acting fro Glenda Jackson. Award material. But overall: important and disturbing in equal measure.