Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*** Greenwich Foodbank collection before this week's home games... ***

edited December 2019 in General Charlton
A plug for the Greenwich Foodbank which is collecting food donations in the West Stand car park (Greenwich Foodbank van) before the Huddersfield and Hull games. The Foodbank in Greenwich has been struggling to meet demand for a number of months and has had to buy food on occasions to maintain supply. All donations will be gratefully received and will go to help provide emergency food parcels for those in desperate need over the festive period. Charlton fans made a fantastic contribution last Christmas. Let's pull together and do it again.

Comments

• Options
    A great cause.
  • Options
    Very sad this is the case. 
  • Options
    What what is most needed ?? Anyone know ? 
  • Options
    Last year I got in the sainsburys local at the station and filled a bag up with some tins and dry packet food. Easily done really. Would do the same again if I was at these games this week.
  • Options
    @LMHR you'll find the details in this CAST info:

CAST is co-ordinating this year's Foodbank initiative at The Valley whereby Charlton fans will be able to make donations to help local people in need over Christmas.

The club have joined forces with CAST and Fans Supporting Foodbanks and supporters will be able to make donations before the games against Huddersfield (December 10th) and Hull (December 13th). We will be in the West Stand car park from 6.15pm on both evenings to receive your donations.

The items collected will be given to Greenwich Foodbank, who operate eight foodbanks in the borough, and are in desperate need during the Christmas period.

Alan Robinson of Greenwich Foodbank said:

"We are very pleased to hear that Charlton Athletic are once again going to host a donation site at The Valley to enable fans to make contributions to our food stock. During the summer the requirement for our service was so high that we very nearly ran out of supplies so the knowledge that Charlton fans will be generously donating next week is a great boost to our confidence that our supply will keep up with the ever increasing demand, particularly at this busy time of year."

Non-perishable foods have a long shelf life and don't require refrigeration. Examples include cereals, rice, long life milk or canned meat or fish. Please note that the foodbank currently has plenty of beans and pasta but is in great need of tinned fruit, tinned carrots, tinned peas, long-life fruit juice and tinned rice/custard. Further details:

https://greenwich.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/donate-food/.

• Options
    Last year I got in the sainsburys local at the station and filled a bag up with some tins and dry packet food. Easily done really. Would do the same again if I was at these games this week.
    I did the same in the sweet shop on Charlton Lane, if I can't make it in time to do so this year i'll take some down there another day.
  • Options
    The are more foodbanks in this country than there are MacDonalds and Burger Kings combined.
  • Options

Toiletries also a good shout 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Was gonna say, this is also a good option 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    If you're thinking about getting toiletries, both Wilko and Superdrug are currently doing 3 for 2 on travel size toiletries, which may be more useful for those living rough than the full size versions. Shaving stuff and sanitary supplies are also often needed.
  • Options
    The van is in the car park and we'll be there from 6.15pm to receive donations. If its difficult for you to bring foodstuffs to an evening game you can always make a cash donation which we will gladly pass on.
  • Options
    Much gratitude to @Pico and @Cardinal Sin
    for giving up their time to support this.

Lets use tonight as the warm up and Friday for the main night. I’m sure we collectively can top what was achieved tonight. 
  • Options
    Thanks to the 70 or so who donated last night. We collected 16 trays of non-perishable food which will provide around twenty people with emergency food rations for three days. Many of those who gave said they will see us again on Friday before the Hull match. Hopefully we can finish our pre-Chrstmas Valley collection with a victory - last night's game was another big disappointment. Our failure to create chances is killing us.
  • Options
    The need for a foodbank puts things in perspective.
  • Options
    Suspect Boris will close these countrywide on Friday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on everyone can spare some change Friday even if you drop 1 50p item in 
    Imagine if everyone in the valley did this how many this would help have a better xmas
    Let's make it happen
  • Options
    Must admit only 70 is a bit disappointing. We'll drop a few tins in on Friday. A lot more worthwhile than the football might be.
  • Options
    70 not bad Weegie - what's important is the amount of food and that was good. I should say that we were also give £23 which I paid in today when returning the food and van. Thanks to the two gents who put their hands in their pockets.
  • Options
    collected £46 at our village halls Car Boot sale for the Folkestone food bank two weeks ago .Im also registered as a volunteer although havnt been called yet.

• Options
    Good work R.
  • Options
    The Foodbank van will be back behind the West Stand before the match this evening. Please be generous to those in need, particularly at this time of year.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Are the 'urgently needed' items the same tonight do we know? 

• Options
    Yes, still the same list on the website. 
  • Options
    The urgently needed items are actually quite cheap if you get the budget brands which is a sensible thing to do your money goes a lot further.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Are the 'urgently needed' items the same tonight do we know? 

Yes Neil - it doesn't change much...