Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town | Tues 10 December | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town
Tuesday 10 December | Kick-Off: 19.45pm | Live on Sky Sports via Red Button
Referee: Graham Scott

Introduction
After a real dismal display up north with 500 or so hardy Charlton supporters having to witness, its vital the players move on quickly and come out right up for it on Tuesday evening. Without a win since Jonny Williams got injured in October, scoring only 8 goals and conceding 15, our form is horrendous but coupled with an equally horrendous injury record. However, as we know a couple of wins on the spin out of nowhere and you shoot up this division. Let's hope we manage to kick start our season again against our next opponents at The Valley, Huddersfield Town.

Opposition
Manager: Danny Cowley (52% win rate) | Stadium: The John Smith's Stadium
League Position: 21st | Nickname(s): The Terriers
Fun facts:
- Huddersfield have won only 16 of their last 96 league games.
- They were the first club in England to win the first division three times in a row (1924, 1925, 1926)

Since the Cowley brothers have arrived from Lincoln City, they've played a variation of formations, but often differing between a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with Karlan Grant cutting in from the left, or a more structured 4-4-2. Their last line up at the weekend against Leeds United was:

Grabara
Duhaney Schindler Stanković Hadergjonaj
Kachunga Hogg Bacuna Koroma
Mounie Grant

In terms of danger men for Huddersfield Town, look no further than a player we all know very well, Karlan Grant. The young striker would leave us for Huddersfield and a brief spell of Premier League football in the last January transfer window, and has carried on his scoring form that got him the move. 38 goals in his last 76 league appearances, including 11 in 20 this season. If we are to keep our first clean sheet in 9 outings, we have to keep Grant quiet as he has a goal participation percentage of 59.

Huddersfield Town are without a win their last 5, meaning the new manager bounce has well and truly worn off. A run of form that leaves them one place and two points outside the relegation zone. However, their defeat to Leeds at the weekend was not without chances of their own. Kiko Casilla in goal made a number of vital stops, especially from crosses and set-pieces. A ploy that shows the direct style implemented by the new men in charge. It was though, the quality of Leeds that came through in the Yorkshire derby.

Charlton Team News
Tom Lockyer returns from suspension after missing the weekend's trip up to Middlesbrough, meaning the Welshmen comes straight back into the team. With Oztumer out with ankle ligament damage, albeit not as serious as Cullen's, and Aneke breaking down again on Thursday, making it five separate muscle injuries since the summer, other than the 18 we have in squad we don't have many other options. Jonny Williams is scheduled to rejoin training this week in the hope to be involved in the squad on Friday. Tomer Hemed isn't too far behind him.

Bowyer usually makes an average of 4 changes for the midweek fixtures, whenever he possibly can. I expect no different this time. Solly will come in for Matthews, and I'd expect Sarr to come in for Pearce. You could make a case for Morgan coming in to play at the top of the diamond, replacing young Alfie Doughty. Whilst Joe Ledley could make his home debut with the plan of Lyle Taylor to get another 45 minutes under his belt. 

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Oshilaja, Doughty, Davison, Taylor

Prediction
This has a feel of real 6 pointer. A huge game. With 6 of the bottom 8 playing against each other (Reading v Barnsley, and Stoke City v Luton Town being the others) a win for us on Tuesday would be a very important result for our season. As supporters we must get behind the players from the first whistle, pushing them to get those all important 3 points.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Huddersfield Town
Leko
Gallagher

Comments

• Options
    1-1, the green shoots of a slow recovery show their heads.
  • Options
    As you write, a mid season 6 pointer .. a lot will depend if Bowyer has managed to keep his squad's morale nice and high despite poor form and the injury plague.
    Huddersfield have started to play a very physical game, perhaps signs of desperation.
    With the right attitude and a fit team, we are well capable of winning this. Be good to see Taylor getting a start even if he lasts just an hour or so, see how he gets on with Bonne
    Tight game .. let's not make it too much of a 'welcome home' for K Grant 

CAFC 1 v Huddersfield Town 0

• Options
    I think after yesterday we have to accept [possibly ]for  the first time that this season is [or has become] a battle against relegation.
    Luton, middlesboro and wigan all knew when they played us that they were in a relegation battle and treated the games with a degree of importance that only being in a relegation battle can engender.
    Can we change our mindset from "battling for everything cos thats what we do " to "really ,really battling for everything cos thats what we have to do or we will be travelling to fleetwood next year instead of blackburn"?
  • Options
    Pearce will have Karlan in his pocket won't he? I'd have Morgan in Cullen role. Interesting, with Lockyer back do we go 4 or 3 at back? 

I'd go 3.1.4.2.:-

Phiilips
    Matthews
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Gallagher 
    Osilaja
    Leko
    Bonne

With Morgan and Osi rotating in or out of possession. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Fully expecting a bad reception for Grant - Wont be coming from me though...

Another excellent preview @Sage, do hope that our defence has learnt from Saturday, Karlan will slaughter us if we let him get in behind our Centre Backs!!
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Curbs style "defend for a point to stop the losing run" performance    needed.

5 4 1 with Taylor up top.

1 - 1
  • Options
    A rare home game miss for me on Tuesday - due to SWR strike and other issues.
    We need to bounce back and guts our way to the 3 points.
    Result is primary, style secondary.
  • Options
    Reckon we will get done.  Helter Skelter down in the relegation zone continues...

1-3
  • Options
    0-1

Karlan Ahearne-Grant to get the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0 Addicks 
  • Options
    Another loss. 

2-0 to them. Grant gets 1. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town
    Tuesday 10 December | Kick-Off: 19.45pm | Live on Sky Sports via Red Button
    Referee: Graham Scott

Introduction
    After a real dismal display up north with 500 or so hardy Charlton supporters having to witness, its vital the players move on quickly and come out right up for it on Tuesday evening. Without a win since Jonny Williams got injured in October, scoring only 8 goals and conceding 15, our form is horrendous but coupled with an equally horrendous injury record. However, as we know a couple of wins on the spin out of nowhere and you shoot up this division. Let's hope we manage to kick start our season again against our next opponents at The Valley, Huddersfield Town.

Opposition
    Manager: Danny Cowley (52% win rate) | Stadium: The John Smith's Stadium
    League Position: 21st | Nickname(s): The Terriers
    Fun facts:
    - Huddersfield have won only 16 of their last 96 league games.
    - They were the first club in England to win the first division three times in a row (1924, 1925, 1926)

Since the Cowley brothers have arrived from Lincoln City, they've played a variation of formations, but often differing between a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with Karlan Grant cutting in from the left, or a more structured 4-4-2. Their last line up at the weekend against Leeds United was:

Grabara
    Duhaney Schindler Stanković Hadergjonaj
    Kachunga Hogg Bacuna Koroma
    Mounie Grant

In terms of danger men for Huddersfield Town, look no further than a player we all know very well, Karlan Grant. The young striker would leave us for Huddersfield and a brief spell of Premier League football in the last January transfer window, and has carried on his scoring form that got him the move. 38 goals in his last 76 league appearances, including 11 in 20 this season. If we are to keep our first clean sheet in 9 outings, we have to keep Grant quiet as he has a goal participation percentage of 59.

Huddersfield Town are without a win their last 5, meaning the new manager bounce has well and truly worn off. A run of form that leaves them one place and two points outside the relegation zone. However, their defeat to Leeds at the weekend was not without chances of their own. Kiko Casilla in goal made a number of vital stops, especially from crosses and set-pieces. A ploy that shows the direct style implemented by the new men in charge. It was though, the quality of Leeds that came through in the Yorkshire derby.

Charlton Team News
    Tom Lockyer returns from suspension after missing the weekend's trip up to Middlesbrough, meaning the Welshmen comes straight back into the team. With Oztumer out with ankle ligament damage, albeit not as serious as Cullen's, and Aneke breaking down again on Thursday, making it five separate muscle injuries since the summer, other than the 18 we have in squad we don't have many other options. Jonny Williams is scheduled to rejoin training this week in the hope to be involved in the squad on Friday. Tomer Hemed isn't too far behind him.

Bowyer usually makes an average of 4 changes for the midweek fixtures, whenever he possibly can. I expect no different this time. Solly will come in for Matthews, and I'd expect Sarr to come in for Pearce. You could make a case for Morgan coming in to play at the top of the diamond, replacing young Alfie Doughty. Whilst Joe Ledley could make his home debut with the plan of Lyle Taylor to get another 45 minutes under his belt. 

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Oshilaja, Doughty, Davison, Taylor

Prediction
    This has a feel of real 6 pointer. A huge game. With 6 of the bottom 8 playing against each other (Reading v Barnsley, and Stoke City v Luton Town being the others) a win for us on Tuesday would be a very important result for our season. As supporters we must get behind the players from the first whistle, pushing them to get those all important 3 points.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Huddersfield Town
    Leko
    Gallagher
    Not Ledley
  • Options
    Who will we play in defence to match Grant speed, definitely not Pearce. Always optimistic, even after Saturday, 2-1, we know who will score for them. I hope Grant gets a good reception, but I doubt it. As I will be in Goa, I can only hope I can get the score and that I can watch Friday game if they have Sky
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Who will we play in defence to match Grant speed, definitely not Pearce. Always optimistic, even after Saturday, 2-1, we know who will score for them. I hope Grant gets a good reception, but I doubt it. As I will be in Goa, I can only hope I can get the score and that I can watch Friday game if they have Sky
    Why not watch the game Tuesday? It would only cost £5.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    From Goa?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    From Goa?
    Yup - Just buy a match pass on ValleyPass mate
  • Options
    Didn’t realise we were playing Tuesday and Friday.Not a lot of recovery time for our depleted squad.  Odds on Grant will score on Tuesday - so can we get 2 goals?

2 - 1 : Taylor and Gallagher 
  • Options
    Easier game than the Hull game - hoping we can scrape a win but sadly can see a 2-1 defeat with Grant scoring.
  • Options
    Not feeling confident about either games this week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good preview but not at all confident.

As Lincs suggests there has been a change of attitude and the injury frustration seems to have rubbed off on the player's morale.

I think we are best with five at the back, particularly with young Doughty at left wing back and must try to grind it out. Not pretty but these are exceptional circumstances. Put Bonne or Leko up on their own to be replaced by Taylor at half time.

Otherwise, I fear Grant will enjoy his return to the Valley.

• Options
    1.0 Charlton 
    Lyle with the goal. 
  • Options
    Anything other than a win and I think we'd need a LOT of reinforcements in Janaury
  • Options
    This is the most important game of the season. Rally, get at least a point and we are holding the fort until the reinforcements arrive. Lose, especially if we lose badly, and the wheels have well and truly come off. I thought the desire and effort against Wendies was first class but, by all accounts it wasn’t on Saturday. A long trip to a wet and miserable Middlesbrough can have that effect but if, as some have suggested, the protracted injury malaise is beginning to drag down morale properly then we are in the deepest Joe Doodoo.  I worry that when the troops recover/January reinforcements arrive we will be in a relegation spiral. For all the talents we have potentially at our disposal, momentum is a precious commodity and we have seriously lost ours. Four or six points this week will redress the balance but two defeats doesn’t bear thinking about. Nervous. Very very nervous. 
  • Options
    Lowest league crowd of the season (I'm going for 13,800)

Phillips

Solly Lockyer Pratley Sarr Doughty (but can he play back to back games?)

Gallgher Oshilaja Morgan

Leko Bonne

Subs; Taylor, Matthews, Ledley, Purrington, Pearce, Davision, Maynard-Brewer 
  • Options
    need miniumum of 4 out of the next 2 before we plummet. 
  • Options
    Pearce will have Karlan in his pocket won't he? I'd have Morgan in Cullen role. Interesting, with Lockyer back do we go 4 or 3 at back? 

I'd go 3.1.4.2.:-

Phiilips
    Matthews
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Gallagher 
    Osilaja
    Leko
    Bonne

With Morgan and Osi rotating in or out of possession. 
    "Pearce will have Karlan in his pocket won't he?" Wouldn't put my money on Pearce if it came to a race between the two! The way we are playing at the moment I'll settle for a point. 
  • Options
    We just have to hope Huddersfield are as bad as we are. They're not in great form but then again a lot of the teams that have beaten us recently haven't been.