Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice Needed - Parking Tickets / Car Loan / Divorce

Dear Charlton Life Collective

Asking for friend ... seriously 

I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation?

I have a friend who is going through a divorce. She’s in rented accommodation and her ex has moved back in with his mum. She has got the tenancy changed into her name. 

its turning into a nasty divorce but I’m not going to go into that. 

My friend’s ex has taken out a personal lease on a brand spanking new sports car and has been racking up parking fines. The rub is that the lease is in his name but registered against my friends address (he didn’t ask permission, just did it) because he couldn’t get finance using his Mum’s address as she is blacklisted.

My friend’s ex is now defaulting on his car loan payments and not paying his parking fines. My friend is getting threaten letters sent to her address about the consequences of non-payment. She phones the relevant companies / Councils, sends the letters back marked not know at this address but doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere. They want their money

She’s worried that she’s going to lose her home and have the bailiffs pay her a visit

what should she do? Anyone been in this situation? Any sensible advice will be greatly received

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    _MrDick said:

I have a friend who is going through a divorce. She’s in rented accommodation and her ex has moved back in with his mum. She has got the tenancy changed into her name. 

My friend’s ex has taken out a personal lease on a brand spanking new sports car and has been racking up parking fines. The rub is that the lease is in his name but registered against my friends address (he didn’t ask permission, just did it) because he couldn’t get finance using his Mum’s address as she is blacklisted.

My friend’s ex is now defaulting on his car loan payments and not paying his parking fines. My friend is getting threaten letters sent to her address about the consequences of non-payment. She phones the relevant companies / Councils, sends the letters back marked not know at this address but doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere. They want their money

She’s worried that she’s going to lose her home and have the bailiffs pay her a visit

what should she do? Anyone been in this situation? Any sensible advice will be greatly received

Many thanks

I know it’s stressful that she’s getting these letters but she’s not responsible so doesn’t need to panic. 

I presume she’s now the only one on the council tax bill? If so, tell her to photocopy it and send it. They are threatening but that should help and they won’t come round. 

I also agree there has been some fraud against the lease company. She should write a letter and email it to the lease company informing them when he moved out and let them know of the fraud. 
  • Options
    I'd advise her to tell her ex that she will call the old bill unless he sorts it out. Surely he commited fraud when he got the finance.
    Police wouldn’t be interested. But I would let the lease company know for sure that there has been fraud. 
  • Options
    May also be in shit with the DVLA if he's got the incorrect address on the log book, although it might depend on the type of lease it is as to whether he's the registered keeper or the leasing company is.

• Options
    _MrDick said:

Many thanks

Why is she opening somebody else’s mail ? Is it in her name as well ? If she is getting the parking fines delivered to her address then he must have registered the car there with the DVLA. Isn’t that an offence ? 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Many thanks

Why is she opening somebody else’s mail ? Is it in her name as well ? If she is getting the parking fines delivered to her address then he must have registered the car there with the DVLA. Isn’t that an offence ? 
    And if it's registered there does that not then invalidate the insurance?