Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinese tour programme and ticket

Comments

• Options
    All I can tell you is I'll give you £50 for the programme :)
  • Options
    That reminds me, did we play China in a friendly at the Valley I think we won 1-0 with Steve White scoring, or am I dreaming.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    That reminds me, did we play China in a friendly at the Valley I think we won 1-0 with Steve White scoring, or am I dreaming.
    Correct on the opposition although not sure of the result.

The programme at The Valley is of a lot less value!
  • Options
    All I can tell you is I'll give you £50 for the programme :)
    If we find the other one we have its a deal

Bilko said:
    Correct.

We've never lost any game we've played v a country
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    We did, pre season in ‘82/83
  • Options
    We still have it @timken and just need somewhere to display it.

More anecdotes soon.
  • Options
    Hopefully our new owners will value the museum and the stunning  contents and the hard work put into it and offer maybee some funds and a bigger space and realy push it forward because it deserves it
    It's our history
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    We did, pre season in ‘82/83
    I think the goal was a pen, also was it the first season of seats in the covered end?
  • Options
    nice to know Henry Irving.Was pleased to see my EAST TERRACE CLOSED sign prominently displayed in recent photo  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I remember a friendly at The Valley v New Zealand - ( Can’t remember the score ) but it’s when we first saw how overweight Big Jimmy was . It was our relegation year if I remember right ? 

• Options
    I remember a friendly at The Valley v New Zealand - ( Can’t remember the score ) but it’s when we first saw how overweight Big Jimmy was . It was our relegation year if I remember right ? 

It was the relegation season.

Our last game was Liverpool away, and lard a*** came on as sub to a chorus of "you're just a fat Eddie Murphy".......from the Charlton fans!
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    The Chinese player on the cover is Yang Chen, one of the first few Chinese professional footballers that went to play abroad and had a successful spell in Germany. He mainly played as a striker.

The game was played on July 22, 2004 and the opposition team was Shenzhen Jianlibao. I remember reading interviews on the old OS in which either Curbs or the players said it was very hot and humid in Shenzhen - understandably so as it was summer. Shenzhen is very very far from my city (used to be over 15 hours by train or 2 hours by plane). I was going into the last year of high school and preparing for the National College Entrance Exam so I couldn't travel that far for a couple of football games. I think I'd only been following Charlton for a few months by then so it was not possible for me to make a long trip to see the team either. (I can't remember if they came to Shanghai....) But by 2005 I was already starting to regret my earlier decision. If it was today, it wouldn't matter to which part of the country the club come, I'd just buy the tickets the second they go on sale!
    Thanks @Jessie great info
  • Options
    I was there and actually gave the museum the programme and ticket. Henry's probably forgotten where they came from as he's not as young as he used to be.

I only went to the Jianlibao Shenzhen game. For those that don't know, Shenzhen is just across the border from Hong Kong, therefore the easiest part of China to visit. You can stay in that particular zone without a visa. The other game was in Guangzhou, also, I believe part of the same economic zone, but I felt I couldn't subject my girlfried (who I am still with) to two Charlton games; that would be pushing things.

We lost the match 3-2, the highlight being a screamer by Radostin Kishishev, the type of goal he threatened many times in the Premier League but never quite came off.

I ran into the physio wandering about Shenzhen in the afternoon who reliably informed me that Curbs and Keith Peacock weree also out shopping for dodgy electronics but I didn't see them. It was my missus who spotted the team bus coming into the stadium and she was quite excited to see the players getting off the bus. No selfies in those days, though.

There were around 50 Charlton fans in the ground, consisting of a few Asian expats and a number on the organised trip from London. Bob Whitehand and Steve Sutherland made a point of greeting every Charlton fan in the ground, thanking them for making the trip. Imagine Duchatalet doing that?

After the game a whole bunch of Charlton fans took over the karaoke bar just outside the stadium. I don't think the locals had experienced anything like this before but it was a great night, I got to meet several fans including a couple of Lifers (or was it still the other site in 2004?). Unfortunately the players didn't join us.
    I had forgotton, sorry @Bangkokaddick
  • Options

5th August 2006:  Charlton 1 (M. Bent) New Zealand 1 (Banks), att. 10,237
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

I was there that day. Two things, two weeks later I was in diabetic coma in QMH, the other this was Iain Dowies first matche as far as I remember.

• Options
    Sark99 said:
    Stig said:

Stig said:

I was there that day. Two things, two weeks later I was in diabetic coma in QMH, the other this was Iain Dowies first matche as far as I remember.

Dowie was was manager for the whole pre-season.
  • Options
    @Jessie
    @Siv_in_Norfolk
    @Stu_of_Kunming

What more can you tell me?

I was living in Taiwan at the time and had never been to the mainland. It seemed too inaccessible to me (there was very little traffic between Taiwan and mainland China at that time) so I didn't go. I've always wished I had. 

Ticket price was 150rmb, which back then was about a tenner and is now closer to £20!

There isn't much more of interest on the cover, except maybe that the match was part of a "Cup" sponsored by a local phone company - not one of the big national ones. 

Ticket was for area 2, row 8, seat 15 :)