Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Middlesbrough v Charlton | Sat 07 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Middlesbrough v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 7th December 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire)

Introduction
For just the third time under Lee Bowyer, we we’ve conceded more than two goals in a league game – Those of us watching on Saturday would witness the effort put in by players who shouldn’t be ready for this level of Football, the injury crisis that refuses to go away has finally started to show within the results and the slide down the table has become a concern – With a takeover all but complete there is finally hope, we travel to the North East this Saturday in eager anticipation of what January could bring!!

The Opposition
Name: Middlesbrough (20th) | Manager: Jonathan Woodgate
Ground: Riverside Stadium

2016 saw the Addicks first suffering under the early ownership of Roland Duchatalet, relegation loomed, yet it was our opponents this weekend who were prospering – Fighting for promotion they would be looking to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2009 (an target they’d achieve). Yet in front of the SKY cameras it was the Addicks who prospered, a 2-0 victory and as Gaston Ramirez proved, you should always play to the right whistle!!

Middlesbrough would only survive the one season in the Premier League – Proof that even since 2009 the gap between the top flight and Championship has grown, both Garry Monk and Tony Pulis tried to mount another promotion campaign yet the Championship doesn’t care about past achievements and both men failed. So this summer; Steve Gibson decided to turn to local boy Jonathan Woodgate

Well who knows whats gone wrong but fans havent taken to his signings such as our very own Anfernee Dijksteel, and whilst they can call upon the experience of Darren Randolph they just cant score the goals to win them games (lowest number of goals in the Division) – After suffering a 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Leeds last weekend; Woodgate claimed that his side too are suffering with injuries, that may be true, and Gibson may be one of the most patient owners in English Football, but the thought of League One football can make just about anyone twitchy!!

Charlton Team News
At some stage it surely has to start getting better – With the amount of injured players there has to come a point when they start returning, thankfully that point appears to be on the horizon

Lee Bowyer post match on Saturday would confirm that Lyle Taylor and Chuks Aneke would travel up to the North East, it’s been a long period out for both players (especially the Montserrat International), whilst it would be nice for one or both to start, it would be unsurprising if both had to take their places on the bench – Jonny Williams was close to being fit for this one yet it looks like he’ll have to wait until Hull City a week later

Phillips
Oshilaja | Pearce | Sarr
Matthews | Pratley | Gallagher | Purrington
Morgan
Bonne | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Solly | Vennings | Doughty | Taylor | Aneke | Oztumer
Prediction
Middlesbrough are on a poor run and whilst the Riverside is a bit of a bogey ground for us, it’s a place where the home natives will get frustrated and quickly if things don’t go their way – For the first time in well over a month we should finally have some options from the bench - Its getting to the point where we’ll be able to stop retreating down the table… To arms one and all, its time to fight back!!

Comments

• Options
    Anything other than a loss and I'm happy
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    A hard faught 1.1 Draw. 
    Hopefully a cameo appearance from  Lyle. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Good preview mate.

Like your 11 but I reckon we might go 442.

Phillips 
    Matthews Oshi Pearce Purrington
    Pratley
    Gallagher Morgan
    Ozzy
    Bonne Leko

AMB Sarr Solly  Doughty Vennings Aneke Taylor
  • Options
    Great Preview FA , going to agree with canters on this one. Think we'll revert back to 4-4-2 , may go with Solly over Matthews , but we'll see. 1 -0 Charlton with Taylor off the bench to score the winner.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Hurrah, 7 subs, we are on the way back, well done FA  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I reckon we still have 10 missing for tomorrow.

Amos
    Page
    Lockyer
    Field
    Lapslie
    JFC
    Kayal
    Cullen
    Williams
    Hemed

Possibly Ozzy and or Aneke/Taylor of they dont make it fitness wise 

• Options

Amos
    Page
    Lockyer
    Field
    Lapslie
    JFC
    Kayal
    Cullen
    Williams
    Hemed

I know we want a full squad, but if we get Lockyer, Field, Cullen and Williams back, I will be happy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Amos
    Page
    Lockyer
    Field
    Lapslie
    JFC
    Kayal
    Cullen
    Williams
    Hemed

I know we want a full squad, but if we get Lockyer, Field, Cullen and Williams back, I will be happy
    Lockyer will be back on Tuesday though

Only missing due to suspension
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Astute preview. 

No idea what will happen. 

Another defeat will trigger the call of panic bosuns though.

My wild guess is...

Gallagher 52 yard curler to top right corner in 88th minute but they still equalise to share the points.
  • Options
    Comfortable away draw 4-4
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Doughty should start, he for me was our best player on Saturday. Also Morgan shouldn't be starting need someone more mobile to go in with Pratley IMO

Tough to call, both in poor form, 1-1 draw I would take now as we are still up against it until at least Johnny and Taylor are back properly. We need Field/Kayal someone more mobile in the middle

• Options
    3-1 to the Reds.
  • Options
    We really must get a win and soon. Taylor seems like exactly the kind of player who will run himself flat out on his return and pull up injured again. Having said that though, Yann fractured his ankle and was back about 25 minutes later so you never know with your talisman. As for Aneke being back, well, it would be nice for him to turn in his first decent performance off the bench but I won't hold my breath seeing as he never looked fit when he apparently was. We need the senior players we have left to turn up from the first whistle and then hold on to a lead if we get one. Fingers crossed
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It's got 0-0 written all over it.

0-0
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Moved to another thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too close to call this one. 3 points would be massive.
  • Options

FOODBANK DONATIONS AT NEXT TWO HOME GAMES

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1011406204?-11197:833
  • Options
    2-1 loss unfortunately. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Of course whenever we play a team who can't score, they inevitably have a field day!

Boro 25 Charlton 26

What?
  • Options
    I don’t really give a monkeys about the result, it’s just so good to be playing clubs like Boro again.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    I don’t really give a monkeys about the result, it’s just so good to be playing clubs like Boro again.
    Yeah we've not played them enough over the years ;)
  • Options
    Anything better than a loss is a result. 0-6
  • Options
    Strong and stable - 2-0 Gallagher and Taylor (pen).
  • Options
    Make Charlton Great Again 4-0
  • Options
    I think it’s going to get worse before it gets better.  I think the most important thing is to try and keep a clean sheet, to get a bit of confidence back in that defence 

the only thing in our favour is that they aren’t great.  With 3 games in 6 days, we’re up against it with these injuries 

agree with FA’s team selection