Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bob Willis RIP

13»

Comments

• What a great competitor and what a great bowler. I suddenly feel very old. RIP Bob.
  • I was up in London on a school trip during Headingley 1981.  Standard had "8 for 43" screaming out from its pages. As a kid I used to 'be' Bob Willis when practicing my bowling. He's left some great memories.

Rest in peace. Your innings was over way too early. 
  • RIP

It's easy to forget what a great fast bowler he was for England, when he had none of the workload protection that Broad and Anderson have got. 325 wickets at 25
    And ludicrously long run ups to boot. 
  • R.I.P Bob he was on the same tube carriage as we was once 
  • This news stopped me in my tracks today, I'm a bit too young to remember him clearly playing however his voice and analysis has been with me throughout. 

The world is a bit less knowledgeable and good today. Rest in peace Mr Willis 
  • Will never forget that Headingly test - highlight of a lifetime.
    For some reason this feels shockingly close to home.
    RIP
  • Jeff Snelling on SSN stated that Bob suffered from Prostate Cancer for 3 years and that is why he and the other football pundits wear the Prostate Cancer badges on their jackets 
  • Very sad.
    R.I.P.
  • Was shocked when I heard.

RIP Thanks Bob
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad to read of Bob Willis’ passing.   I remember seeing him in Wellington.  Can anyone remember a bowler with a longer run-up
  • Still shocked about this. Watched him as a yougster for Surrey and knew he had a great future so was sad when he left, not wanting to play second fiddle to Arnold and Jackman. Saw him many times at the Oval thereafter, both as a top bowler for England and later just wandering about the pavilion between commentary stints.

RIP RGD Willis
  • RIP Bob - a sporting giant. Cancer is a bastard.
  • Headingley 1981 was as much his test match as it was Botham's. True sporting hero unlike many latter-day pretenders (e.g. Beckham).

Rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • It’s surprising which ones of the these affect you; I’m really sad about this . RIP- had no idea he’d been so ill. 
  • RIP Bob. Sad and shocked. 
  • Sad news - a great character.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    It would be good to see a tribute to him put up. I think he was one of those special icons of British sport.  
  • Great fast bowler, great analyst and a great person.
    The 1981 Headingly test was possibly the best of all time from an England point of view. There aren't many bowling figures that stick in the head but 8-43 always will. Listening to it on the radio. Couldn't get back to work it was so exciting! 
  • A real legend of the game. RIP Sir.   
  • Very sad, no age these days. R.I.P. Bob
  • I was sat in Wetherspoon's yesterday wondering why they kept showing clips of Headingley on TV. Then I realised why. Really shocked, I remember that test like it was yesterday. RIP Bob.
  • I was really shocked to hear of his passing. I was travelling out to where I was in 1981 and mentioned the Headingly test only a few hours before finding out. Last saw Bob on the Debate what seems like only a few weeks ago, so more shocking/ Much like my childhood Kent hero Graham Dilley when he went
  • "Well, Charles - the Bob Willis Story" is now available on Sky On Demand