Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/bluebirds-appoint-new-non-executive-director-board

I don't know about his football knowledge, but his background is somewhat different!

Jalil currently serves as the Group CEO of Berjaya Corporation, based in Malaysia. Jalil will help to direct the Club in all strategic decision making and planning, working closely with Tan Sri Vincent Tan, Chairman Mehmet Dalman and Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo.
    Jalil has 18 years of distinguished investment career globally, with firms such as Abrdn & Invesco in senior leadership roles in Europe & Asia. Jalil was also Group CEO of Malaysia’s state investment fund, PNB, the youngest to helm the role at 37 years old.
    We’re confident that City supporters will join the Board and Club in welcoming Jalil to this role and look forward to a successful and prosperous future together.
    These kind of appointments rarely if ever work out......the finances and running of a football club are like no other, all the training and business experience in the world cannot prepare you for the wildly different reality of the world of the operating of professional football clubs. It’s crammed packed with emotional baggage from top to bottom, which are like no other business models. Seemingly sensible ideas and projects more often than not do not work, it’s a uniquely different world.
    I give you Katrien Meire as a classic example of abject failure, both with us and Chef Wendy, she never grasped this from the word go.🧐
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ said:
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/bluebirds-appoint-new-non-executive-director-board

I don't know about his football knowledge, but his background is somewhat different!

Jalil currently serves as the Group CEO of Berjaya Corporation, based in Malaysia. Jalil will help to direct the Club in all strategic decision making and planning, working closely with Tan Sri Vincent Tan, Chairman Mehmet Dalman and Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo.
    Jalil has 18 years of distinguished investment career globally, with firms such as Abrdn & Invesco in senior leadership roles in Europe & Asia. Jalil was also Group CEO of Malaysia’s state investment fund, PNB, the youngest to helm the role at 37 years old.
    We’re confident that City supporters will join the Board and Club in welcoming Jalil to this role and look forward to a successful and prosperous future together.
    These kind of appointments rarely if ever work out......the finances and running of a football club are like no other, all the training and business experience in the world cannot prepare you for the wildly different reality of the world of the operating of professional football clubs. It’s crammed packed with emotional baggage from top to bottom, which are like no other business models. Seemingly sensible ideas and projects more often than not do not work, it’s a uniquely different world.
    I give you Katrien Mere as a classic example of abject failure,  both with us and Chef Wendy, she never grasped this from the word go.🧐

Wasn't Meire just some lawyer parachuted in by Roland? She was completely out of her depth in a senior leadership role, and doubly so in one at a football club.

• Options
    Piped up on Twitter this evening.
  • Options
    Driesen vs Martin Sandgaard and the Black Box.

Who ya got?
  • Options
    Driesen vs Martin Sandgaard and the Black Box.

Who ya got?
    Hopefully the black box is made out of some super strong steel (rather than wet cardboard like I'm imagining) so Martin can just pick it up, and use it to launch Driesen into Luxembourg.
  • Options
    Piped up on Twitter this evening.
    Saying?
  • Options
    I notice he still hasn't found a new job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow, those grapes are sour!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    He's just confirmed that he still thinks Dobson is league 2 level.

Enough said.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The guy is an absolute nob.  

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This guy -just like that airmanbrown- is poisin to your club. Like always he doesnt know jack sh*t about Martins role but he is not getting attention anymore for bashing Roland so now he is going after Sandgaard for attention. What a complete loser <a href="https://t.co/17uhPJVGiM">https://t.co/17uhPJVGiM</a></p>&mdash; Thomas Driesen (@ThomasDriesen10) <a href="">February 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • Options
    The recruitment has got worse since he left the club.
    That is a very selective memory... Thuram | Nego | Lepoint | Rhys Williams | Dodoo | Crofts | Foley | Novak | Ba | Bergdich | Parzyszek | Ghoochannejhad | Koc - Those are some of the worst names that'll forever be seen in the Charlton Handbook each year thanks to Driesen.
    That's very selective as well, we know Slade had to fight tooth and nail to get Crofts and Foley as Tommy said no. 

I will wager a large amount of money that Tommy wasn't responsible for half of those, although you could never prove it as no one will ever say "it was me".

You might mock but look at some of the shit Gallen has signed since he had to run it passed Tommy.  Coincidence? Or bias? 
  • Options
    My new favorite internet conspiracy is that Driesen was the brains behind Gallen's early success all along. Not because I think it's true, but because if it were true it would be sooooo incredibly funny. And also, because Driesen wants it to be true so badly, that makes it even funnier.

Like, I love the idea that a man who discusses himself thusly would be successful at anything other than being the assistant manager of a marijuana dispensary.

But also, our recruitment no longer has the highlights of Cullen, Taylor, Bielik, Bauer, etc. 

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    My new favorite internet conspiracy is that Driesen was the brains behind Gallen's early success all along. Not because I think it's true, but because if it were true it would be sooooo incredibly funny. And also, because Driesen wants it to be true so badly, that makes it even funnier.

Like, I love the idea that a man who discusses himself thusly would be successful at anything other than being the assistant manager of a marijuana dispensary.

But also, our recruitment no longer has the highlights of Cullen, Taylor, Bielik, Bauer, etc. 

He was neither the genius behind it, nor the reason we signed some shit (neither is Gallen) 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The recruitment has got worse since he left the club.
    That is a very selective memory... Thuram | Nego | Lepoint | Rhys Williams | Dodoo | Crofts | Foley | Novak | Ba | Bergdich | Parzyszek | Ghoochannejhad | Koc - Those are some of the worst names that'll forever be seen in the Charlton Handbook each year thanks to Driesen.
    That's very selective as well, we know Slade had to fight tooth and nail to get Crofts and Foley as Tommy said no. 

I will wager a large amount of money that Tommy wasn't responsible for half of those, although you could never prove it as no one will ever say "it was me".

You might mock but look at some of the shit Gallen has signed since he had to run it passed Tommy.  Coincidence? Or bias? 
    Thats very true, and there is a difficult line to be drawn as to who belongs under Driesen and who doesnt, as we'll never get the truth from that twat - I went for the simple option, as seem to remember Bowyer or Gallen (latter could equally have been passing the buck) saying that any player that we wanted, had to be approved by Tommy first, with there being a few times where they wanted to put him in a headlock because he'd say no.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    So we are continuing to believe that the level of recruitment dropped off a cliff when TD, but that's just coincidence?

TD wasn't perfect, but it's obvious whatever recruitment setup we have in place right now is nowhere near good enough.

Look at the league one team we had under Bowyer when they went up, not one player is as good as that XI. Not one.

Pretty sure Driesen always gave credit to Gallen for his contacts and ability to negotiate etc. They were a team.

Amazing that TS scoured the globe and managed to appoint his son to the role. I'm sure he was the best candidate.
  • Options
    Well something has obviously changed in the recruitment department, maybe it was TD? Who knows. But right now we are not recruiting the same level of players and it shows. 
  • Options
    Thomas is determined to make the club solvent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can you lot actually fucking behave yourselves? The same people praising Driesen for his apparent scouting of every good player we've ever had are the ones pointing at Martin Sandgaard saying 'WhAt KiNd oF cLuB HiReS a nOn FoOtBaLl PeRsOn?!?!?!' Driesen is some child person who sent Roland an email once and got us Nego, Polish Pete, Yohann Thuram and Anil pissing Koc before someone took the controller off him. We stayed up that season with the players we already had and some hard work. The next season we were lugging around Tucudean, Onyewu and Lepoint as well as a couple of good signings and went through managers again before ending up being saved by contributions from Roger Johnson and Chris Eagles, players we essentially found behind the Football League sofa. We were relegated the next season thanks to the contributions of Bergdich, Ceballos, Ba, Rhys Williams and the inexplicably re-signed Roger Johnson. After that our lives just became players Russell Slade remembered from the early noughties and Ricky Holmes, a player signed for a manager who didn't work for us. But no, tell me more about how the next season, when we actually signed some footballers identified to fit in with the style Lee Bowyer wanted to play also - mysteriously - coinciding with Steve Gallen arriving at Charlton, was all the masterplan of Thomas Driesen. He just needed a three and a half year run up.
    Honestly, I know things are bad but there's some teenage drama queen sat on Twitter sniping at every thing that goes wrong at the club, claiming all the successes for himself and building up all the failures, and some of you are actually stupid enough to believe it's because fucking Haircut was the master transfer dealer. He said Dobson was a L2-level player when he started poorly, but surprisingly has gone quiet about that now he's doing exactly what he was identified to do. There's something wrong at the club, a myriad of somethings I suspect, but it's most certainly not that Thomas Driesen got booted out of the club. Please don't let his bitter Twitter musings start to convince you he added any value to our club. He didn't.
    Agree entirely... Except on one point... last night TD actually tweeted that Dobson is still L2 standard as all he does is run around and tackle.  The kids not worthy of air time.
    Dobson is the only one of our spineless crew who can tackle.

But at least all those names listed above have reminded me that this isn't the worst Charlton team I've seen.  "Spread out" 
  • Options
    16th in league one with the worst squad in my lifetime.

But at least we don't have Driesen. That's all that matters. Long live the Sandgaards! 
  • Options
    16th in league one with the worst squad in my lifetime.

But at least we don't have Driesen. That's all that matters. Long live the Sandgaards! 
    Said... No one?
  • Options
    Sorry, but the lack of objectivity was winding me up. I couldn't be arsed to do a sensible post to combat it. 

You can't list failed signings attribute them to TD and then praise SG as the brains and ignore the absolute shitshow of the last four windows.

I don't want TD back, I couldn't give a shit about him, but to ignore the drop off in recruitment since he left is some blinkered nonsense. I should have had a rant about the state of the recruitment in another thread not centred around someone that triggers a large percentage of the Charlton Lifers.

Good day.
  • Options
    Our recruitment was quality in 18/19 and has been absolute shite since with the odd exception i.e stockley/Dobson. I don't think anyone is saying we'd be better off with him but it does seem strange that since he has left we have signed some absolute stinkers i.e Bogle, smith, smith, schwartz, levitt, Smyth, gunter, watson, soure, arter and the list goes on.