Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnny-come-lateleys

I don't suppose this will be popular but I am going to say it nonetheless. The extremes in emotions on social media about our performances over the last 18 months or so (good and bad) are very new and becoming a real pain-in-the-arse. Charlton fans over the years have learnt not to get too far ahead of themselves, safe in the knowledge that success is only ever fleeting and for every high there is inevitably a low. We have always expected more than our Millwall brethren, who have accepted their lot and been prepared simply to back their side, enjoy their good times because they know they will return sooner or later to whence they came, so our eventual disappointment has always come with a bit more frustration, but the current hysterics that follow every disappointment coincides with the rise in our younger support. That support has been great to see, by the way, but I wish these people could see the bigger picture and be a bit more realistic. 

We started this season with another enforced squad churn. There were plenty of new faces and we knew we had the smallest budget in the league. Every year for a long time, the three sides with the smallest budget have finished in the bottom six. We were favourites for relegation. It's not a huge surprise. However, Bowyer and his team got us off to a cracking start and we genuinely looked competitive at the top of the table but injuries have taken their toll and it should be no surprise to anyone that results have gone against us of late and that we are understandably struggling. Naby Sarr grew into a beast of player for us last season and has the promise of much more to come, but has made a few mistakes which have cost us but the abuse he's suffered for it on social media has way out-of-order. If those two goals at Millwall had been at Luton, I am sure it wouldn't have been nearly as bad but that's just another result of some fans' unrealistic expectations. Others have been scapegoated too, the defence in general. It's not surprising we are struggling at the back. Their workload has doubled due to injuries in midfield which have meant us having to play on the back-foot. I am pretty sure Bowyer sees this and is doing what he can to try and make up for it but it's difficult with so many players unavailable through injuries. That's why we started with five at the back and only three in midfield last night. 

All of our supporters need to get real here and start backing the team and stop abusing individual players for every single mistake they make. You would think we had four or five howling first-teamers given the levels of hysterical abuse. The fact is, we haven't, we are just desperately short and having to play our weakest possible sides which is inevitably putting us under more pressure and contributing to more errors. When the injury situation improves, which it should do, the same hecklers will be grand-standing improved performances again and no doubt we will hear the cringey return of the "he used to be shit, but he's alright now" song.

Bowyer and his boys need our backing and the negativity should be fired at Duchatelet who still refuses to support Bowyer properly and is content for a sub-standard squad and who doesn't care about results or performances.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Yes I agree. I've noticed a lot more negativity and impatience around me in the North Upper this season, I feel the constant support and chanting of last season has started to wane. The team need us more than ever at the moment, you could see last season just how much our support impacted them. 
  • Options
    A milkman from Croydon, obviously head of the feared Ultras.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Lol, Arsenal & West Ham want Bowyer.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    I agree with him - Bowyer, Jackson and Gallen are letting the club down big time. With the investment our owner put in during the transfer window, he deserves more. The lucky start to the season has run out and we're now showing our true colours.

Mr Duchatelet, if you're reading this then do yourself a favour and hand over the entire running of the football side to young Thomas D - he is one of the few who clearly knows what he's talking about. With him the sky's the limit and I would expect, no demand, that we as a minimum achieve a play-off spot, but really the expectation should be an outright. Young Tommy is the only way you can protect your huge investment in time, money, and more importantly your passion. 

Nurse! NURSE!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Whats wrong with me saying that? :(
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Croydon.

Got to be a Palace fan in reality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just summarises social media these days really, it does annoy me but then I kind of expect it now.

Completely agree we should look at the bigger picture, the start of the season anyone would have snapped your hand off if we said we can stay up, that is still the aim. I have enjoyed our terrific and unexpected start but still the amount of injuries there is no surprise really.

• Options
    I agree. We are a newly promoted side on a tight budget, staying up (hopefully with a few games to go) is our aim, and along the way there will be bumpy periods.

Interestingly, there was a long article in the Luton programme from one of the Directors (in response to grumbles from a few of their fans after losing 5 on the spin I assume), talking about the importance of their new stadium and investing in their academy, and how they wouldn't be gambling the club's finances just to stay in the Championship (or taking any betting money as sponsorship). Indeed the article also mentions that the finishing position is directly linked to the budget...

• Options
    Why shouldn't these youngsters demand everything that old(er) supporters had the benefit of? It's only fair that football millenials are given the same success as the football boomers (those that enjoyed some success supporting their team).

In fact, I think some kind of thought/experience transplant should be developed whereby it ensures experience distribution so that everyone has the same experiences, or at least the memories that go with them.
  • Options
    It seems to be getting more and more common, we win 3 games on the spin and we are going to win the next World Cup. Lose 3 and we are destined for the Woolwich and District league. We have a good 15/16 players capable of holding their own in this division, sadly the depth in the squad is not up to the task. Bringing the kids in for a meaningless cup game is one thing playing them week in week out is not something Bowyer wouldn't choose to do, I hear people saying about Gallagher is only 19 but he's an exception talent. We are sending our 19 year old to Bromley to get some experience Chelsea send them to The Valley. The owner plays the numbers game when it comes to the first team squad he sees Bowyer has a squad of 23/24 players, Bowyer sees a squad of 15/16 then the kids every transfer window its the same old story someone is out of contract or nearing the end and will move on to get a decent wage and come the summer all the loans go back and we start again. I prefer the the Curb's way don't get to carried away when we win or lose.  
  • Options
    Why shouldn't these youngsters demand everything that old(er) supporters had the benefit of? It's only fair that football millenials are given the same success as the football boomers (those that enjoyed some success supporting their team).

In fact, I think some kind of thought/experience transplant should be developed whereby it ensures experience distribution so that everyone has the same experiences, or at least the memories that go with them.
    Or drop some Lsd on entering the ground.
  • Options

Or drop some Lsd on entering the ground.
    Probably advisable to do it 45 minutes to an hour before kick off.
  • Options
    Totally agree with the OP. Let’s get some perspective and get behind the lads. We all have our emotions and disappointments. It’s only natural. But, abuse and negativity towards the team in any way does not help things. 
  • Options
    I went last night and despite losing 2-1 to the 4th bottom team and from a winning position our players and Bowyer were cheered/clapped off the pitch.  I heard no negativity around me just realisation our squad is stretched and appreciation of our lads efforts trying.  

Then I came on here and the same shone through.  People do of course discuss players and have views, I am not a Sarr fan and will be glad when his disproportionate wages can be put to better use but I don't boo him.  

Twitter and facebook are made for morons unfortunately and if players do not like abuse on there or feel it getting to them then they should just come off it and ignore it, really is that easy - of course it shouldn't be like that but it is at every club in the land.  
    I do mean Twitter and Facebook in particular. This site is still fairly well-balanced even including the few Millwall supporters who appreciate some reasonable debate and banter. 
  • Options

That would shut up the moaning Arsenal fans at least  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Completely agree, the main aim for this season should be finishing no lower than 21st, anything else is a massive win for us
  • Options
    While propping up the bar of the Valley club, the great Derek Hales once said to me about his critics ‘if they can do better’.
     :) 
    Killer - critics? I can't believe he had any and even if there was one, they would have kept schtumm!
  • Options
    Post of the season thus far for me, @Cardinal Sin.

I don't have access to Twitter, neither do I read the views posted on the various Charlton related FB groups. 

And I agree with our friend from The Toolbox that those expressed on this forum are invariably balanced & honest, whilst there are a few occasions when criticism of a certain player appears OTT.

But, most of us have left our teenage years behind and, some of us are now in the "wrinkly" category so whilst I agree with the OP's words, I would ask everyone to reflect on the emotions & even expectations that Addicks in those age groups will often express.

The young 'uns may "demand" the best, frequently without stopping to think about the reasons why this is subject to numerous factors ( eg a multitude of injuries to the squad) ...but didn't we use our hearts as opposed to our heads when we were their age ? 

At the other end of the scale, we wrinklies, who have invariably supported through the good, the bad & the downright ugly years, may regress as we yearn for success & the return of those good times whilst we're still able to actively support our club. Of course, we have ridden the rollercoaster of life & learned some of the hard lessons it brings but as we get older, I believe our emotions often rise to the surface once again - I know mine have hence the blubbing whilst watching the Cardiff match at home last Saturday.

This is why CL is such an important  vehicle for venting those frustrations, sharing those views, however extreme, with the knowledge that fellow Lifers will either agree or choose to argue against our opinions but without resorting to abuse or outright condemnation ( well, in 99% of cases!) The well balanced discussions that ensue can be reassuring or indeed change our mindset / make us question our views, especially if they've been made using our hearts , not our heads....

Not sure where all this has come from as I'm still recovering from a nightmeire 4 hour journey home from the match last night due to the closure of our access to the M25, followed by the same when we tried to use the North Circular....& Fanny's head finally hit the pillow at 3am . So, apologies if this is totally irrelevant to the thread & I'm actually speaking in tongues.

Finally, I heard no abuse or calling out of certain players last night and after the final whistle, although disappointment was evident in everyone's faces, I heard most exiting the ground bemoaning the cr*p hand that Lady Luck has currently given us & agreeing that little more can be expected of the lads until more bodies are available for selection. 

But, as I wrote in another thread at the weekend, whilst we continue to give those wearing the shirt our unending & loud support, we should not forget the limitations imposed on Bow & on our progress in general from Belgium. IF those rumours beginning to surface once again have any validity, then the removal of the heaviest millstone around our necks for many a year will surely restore the equilibrium of all concerned with peace and love returning to our Valley. 

I promise to do the unthinkable and get down on my knees to our owner if it would help to make him sell.....:-) 
    Been supporting the club since I was 14. Hopelessly optimistic every year but I knew we wouldn't win every week and you had to learn to tolerate disappointments. Sometimes we had weak-link players but that was what we had and they invariably tried their hardest which was as much as you could ask for.
  • Options
    Well said Cardinal , I followed the game on the thread and couldn't believe the grief Gallagher was getting in the first half
  • Options
    I went last night and despite losing 2-1 to the 4th bottom team and from a winning position our players and Bowyer were cheered/clapped off the pitch.  I heard no negativity around me just realisation our squad is stretched and appreciation of our lads efforts trying.  

Then I came on here and the same shone through.  People do of course discuss players and have views, I am not a Sarr fan and will be glad when his disproportionate wages can be put to better use but I don't boo him.  

Twitter and facebook are made for morons unfortunately and if players do not like abuse on there or feel it getting to them then they should just come off it and ignore it, really is that easy - of course it shouldn't be like that but it is at every club in the land.  
    I do mean Twitter and Facebook in particular. This site is still fairly well-balanced even including the few Millwall supporters who appreciate some reasonable debate and banter. 
    Fair enough. I never go on Twitter and it is banned on my work phone anyway so half the time I don't even see imbedded tweets.  

I’m on facebook but long ago learned never to go on Charlton pages as the one I saw seemed to have attracted a vociferous, idiotic minority who's live’s I assume are so meaningless they wished to drag everyone else down into their void of pretend gangsta misery.  

It is super easy to avoid both and live in what I think is the world of the majority of our fans on here and at games.  Don’t let the sad, uneducated and unenlightened comments of the few tarnish a whole generation of the young.  There are wrong’uns in every generation, social media just gives too greater voice to those that want to shout loudest nowadays.
  • Options
    I don't suppose this will be popular but I am going to say it nonetheless. The extremes in emotions on social media about our performances over the last 18 months or so (good and bad) are very new and becoming a real pain-in-the-arse. Charlton fans over the years have learnt not to get too far ahead of themselves, safe in the knowledge that success is only ever fleeting and for every high there is inevitably a low. We have always expected more than our Millwall brethren, who have accepted their lot and been prepared simply to back their side, enjoy their good times because they know they will return sooner or later to whence they came, so our eventual disappointment has always come with a bit more frustration, but the current hysterics that follow every disappointment coincides with the rise in our younger support. That support has been great to see, by the way, but I wish these people could see the bigger picture and be a bit more realistic. 

We started this season with another enforced squad churn. There were plenty of new faces and we knew we had the smallest budget in the league. Every year for a long time, the three sides with the smallest budget have finished in the bottom six. We were favourites for relegation. It's not a huge surprise. However, Bowyer and his team got us off to a cracking start and we genuinely looked competitive at the top of the table but injuries have taken their toll and it should be no surprise to anyone that results have gone against us of late and that we are understandably struggling. Naby Sarr grew into a beast of player for us last season and has the promise of much more to come, but has made a few mistakes which have cost us but the abuse he's suffered for it on social media has way out-of-order. If those two goals at Millwall had been at Luton, I am sure it wouldn't have been nearly as bad but that's just another result of some fans' unrealistic expectations. Others have been scapegoated too, the defence in general. It's not surprising we are struggling at the back. Their workload has doubled due to injuries in midfield which have meant us having to play on the back-foot. I am pretty sure Bowyer sees this and is doing what he can to try and make up for it but it's difficult with so many players unavailable through injuries. That's why we started with five at the back and only three in midfield last night. 

All of our supporters need to get real here and start backing the team and stop abusing individual players for every single mistake they make. You would think we had four or five howling first-teamers given the levels of hysterical abuse. The fact is, we haven't, we are just desperately short and having to play our weakest possible sides which is inevitably putting us under more pressure and contributing to more errors. When the injury situation improves, which it should do, the same hecklers will be grand-standing improved performances again and no doubt we will hear the cringey return of the "he used to be shit, but he's alright now" song.

Bowyer and his boys need our backing and the negativity should be fired at Duchatelet who still refuses to support Bowyer properly and is content for a sub-standard squad and who doesn't care about results or performances.
  • Options
    Tavern said:

Fully agreed!
  • Options
    Nothing new really, loads of people in the prem years got annoyed that we didn't make it into Europe and called for Curbs to be sacked.