Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quick quiz

1. What were these numbers used for at the Valley?
(Under 40s only)

Comments

• The manual scoreboard?
  • 2. Is this an appropriate place to display this shirt?

• 3. What is special about the ball in the foreground?
  • 4.Where and when can you next see all these items?

• In that order 0-1 looks like the final score display
  • The ball from the 7 6 Huddersfield game
  • edited November 2019
    3. What is special about the ball in the foreground?
    Is it the Ball from the 7-6 game v Huddersfield? (The last game Huddersfield lost  ;))

If it fell into the bin, it'd be alright too
  • Sponsored links:

No, trap 1

Only if it was No.1s & No. 2s.

I see from the paper towel on the floor, that someone managed to miss the target

A bit like many of Iain Dowie's signings
  • edited November 2019
    1. The half time scores put around the pitch at home matches after half time
    2. Definitely
    3. the ball that burst during our FA cup final win 1947
    4. The museum this Saturday after the game
  • ross1 said:
    1. The half time scores put around the pitch at home matches after half time
    2. Definitely
    3. the ball that burst during our FA cup final win 1947
    4. The museum this Saturday after the game
    Three out of four ain't bad.

3 is the ball from the 7-6 Huddersfield game.
  • 1. This is Charlton's pioneering computer, The Football Scores Difference Engine, developed in the 1910s by stalwart fan Sir Arthur 'Fishstick' Babbage. The computer was capable of counting up to three using binary code, but in later years fell into disuse after getting permanently stuck on the 0-1 reverse score.

2. "Dowie" is a Scottish word meaning Dull and lonely, melancholy, dreary, dismal (I am not making this up). As such, the "Dowie Manager" was the man hired to preside over one of the dullest dreary and dismal assemblages of footballers seen at The Valley for many years. The khazi is therefore the ideal place to display the dowie manager's shirt.

3. It is a leather t-ball. Apart from its innovative three dimensional tessellated design, this was the first type of ball to feature a vulcanised rubber bladder. Previously balls employed inflated pig's bladders. The downside of this design was that the sheer weight of stitching resulted in a tripling of dimensia cases amongst 1930s footballers. On a more positive note, heading the ball on the lace would often leave an impression in a player's forehead resembling a scar on Frankenstein's monster, thus amusing his friends and family.

4. You can see this collection in South London's finest Ames room. To the uninitiated an Ames room is a specially constructed chamber giving the optical illusion of false perspective. Despite being painted in all-white camouflage, the tell-tale wonky girders at the back are a giveaway as to the surrealist nature of its construction. Sadly some people have been so badly affected by the false perspective of this room that they remain broken people in perpetuity. In 2014 a Ms Meire of Tongren City, Belgium entered the room for the purposes of cutting a ribbon. Immediately she became critically overpowered by delusions of grandeur and a belief that she could run a football club. Her employer Mr R Duchatelet of Lower Merksemville entered the room in order to sign a book. Ever since this fatal day any amount of money that he hears of, or thinks of, is immediately multiplied in his mind by an exponential factor. A sad paradox of this condition is that he can never possibly sell the room and escape the power of its mind bending illusions.    

• edited November 2019
    Stig wins.

His prize is the opportunity to update the honours and managers, although sadly not ownership, on the museum timeline

• Charlton whacked Fleetwood Town  3-1 at Highbury on September 30th.  Tariqe Fosu scored all three goals.

Did he score his goals with his right foot, left foot or were they headed?

• Charlton whacked Fleetwood Town  3-1 at Highbury on September 30th.  Tariqe Fosu scored all three goals.

Did he score his goals with his right foot, left foot or were they headed?

One with each...
  • Pedro45 1
    Rest of the World 0
  • Sponsored links:

• In his autobiography “Valley of Dreams” Curbs writes:

“It was the end of an era as far as Charlton was concerned because we’d said goodbye to one of the most influential players I think there has ever been in the club’s history.  I also believe he was probably my Best Buy as manager of the club ...  his work-rate was tremendous, he was a great passer, was excellent at getting in last-ditch tackles and could really strike a ball well”

Who was he writing about?

• Peter Garland?
  • No, not Peter Garland
  • Can someone bring back the who’s ground quiz, that was CL at its best 

“It was the end of an era as far as Charlton was concerned because we’d said goodbye to one of the most influential players I think there has ever been in the club’s history.  I also believe he was probably my Best Buy as manager of the club ...  his work-rate was tremendous, he was a great passer, was excellent at getting in last-ditch tackles and could really strike a ball well”

Mark Kinsella?

Brendan O’Connell?

This was a CL quiz competition question that I won the book from.

Mark Kinsella?
    Yes, you and Pedro45 1-1
  • Who was our Young Player of the Year last season as voted by Valley Gold members?
  • What English word retains the same pronunciation even after four of its five letters are removed?