Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This is not a pop

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
at the Board just in case someone attempts to misrepresent it as such.

Indeed I think the Board have handled the Darren Bent transfer very well insisting on a complete cash fee rather than a mixture of cash and cast offs from the Spurs treatment room.

How is it though that Torres, who has never played in the Prem, is worth £10 million more than Bent a proven Premiership goalscorer over two seasons in a poor side? Surely the Shevenko experience would make teams cautious about investing too heavily in Premiership unproven players?

Alternatively has the extra Sky money effectively doubled transfer fees overnight meaning that the Bent money won't go as far as we think it might?

Comments

• Options
    On the other hand Len, I'm totally fed up with hearing that Bent is a "waste of money" compared to the fee Arsenal got for Henry. It seems that the general consensus is that he can't be any good - or else he wouldn't have been playing for us.

What people still seem to ignore these days is that when signing a player you have to look at the complete package, which includes wages.

The days of getting £1million in for a player, spending £500k on another and still having £500k left in the bank are long gone once various loyalty bonuses/signing on fees are taken into account.

I think that overall we seem to have stuck to our guns and have got ourselves a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    i think there will be a few big transfers but the majority will be 'sensible' money. Torres signing for Liverpool is the new owners attempting to keep Benitez and the fans happy, and although it's a big fee he has the potential to be the best in the world imo. i now think we'll only spend £4-5 mill tops on the rest of our signings and that's why the instament payments for Bent is being played up. bargains may now be £1 mill rather than £100k. i really think pards could do a lot with about £5 mill and think we'll soon see his skill in the transfer at picking up players at the right price. that said i do think collins john is a bad egg but i trust in pards.
  • Options
    Liverpool have more money than sense...

Look at the strikers they have signed on big money over the last few years - Cisse, Morientes, Crouch, Kuyt, Bellamy of that lot who has been truly successful and consistently scored goals? Bent has outscored the lot.
  • Options
    Not sure you can compare Torres with Bent.

Torres is an established international player with a lot of Champions League experience. He would also attract interest from a number of Champions league clubs if he was available at the same valuation as Bent, something Darren sadly wasn't.
  • Options
    not sure about the camps league mate when were athletioco in that?
  • Options
    Also bear in mind that Henry will be nearly 34 when his contract at Barca is up, which means his sell on value will be a lot less than Darren's.

On another note, it disturbs me that Henry cited the departure of Dein as his reason for leaving. When pen pushers are deemed more important than football men, we live in worrying times. It is also odd that he has moved to a club where there is no David Dein either. Surely if DD was so important to Henry, he would have waited to see where he ends up?
  • Options
    Dein kept Wenger the whinger happy.