Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Commuting. Do you become immune to it?

A couple of times a month  i drive down to Gravesend where my daughter works from Bromley.
I drive down in the rush hour, yesterday took just over 1hour.
In fact the journey always takes an hour,  we go out for dinner and i drop her off in Gillingham and the return journey just over half an hour.
How do commuters do this every day?

Comments

• Options
    Don't commute but do travel a lot around London to visit clients.  Use the train time to read Charlton Life, car time listen to the radio.

It's a pain sometimes but it's a first world problem.
  • Options
    Twenty mins walk to the station, train to Victoria, then Victoria line, then Northern line, then a 15 min walk from Camden Town. On autopilot the whole way.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Twenty mins walk to the station, train to Victoria, then Victoria line, then Northern line, then a 15 min walk from Camden Town. On autopilot the whole way.
    What a way to start a days graft.

• Options
    At least an hours drive into work and at least an hours drive home in traffic both ways. Podcasts on makes them a tad more bearable 

The most annoying thing is I am no longer doing a job where I need to be physically co-located with. I crack on under my own steam and am very productive, the dip in my productivity is the other dickwads at the location I travel to disturbing me. 

Given the power to wield change I'd make it something to attain to, being able to work without supervision and be productive should herald the dawn of people just having staff work from home if they wish. I'm happy on my own and get a lot more done and mentally I am better not having to rush to finish shit before hometime knowing that if I dont get gone I'm just going to hit more traffic. 

Anytime I have to commute up town I am ok if it's just for a day, anymore than that and I'm as bad as every other miserable stain on humanity on the train. Head down in book, no eye contact or interaction and march through the underground herds to where I have to be 
  • Options

Takes me an hour door to door, Bexley to CW via train and DLR.

I'm lucky in that I'm usually away around 4 so miss the rush hour coming home. Have started to work from home more recently and is nice to have the option on days like these when the trains are screwed.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Can take me between 30mins to one hour to drive from Strood to Orpington in the morning - Twice a week its even longer as have to drop my son at my parents so can add on an extra 30mins to get from Bexleyheath to Orpington

It can be frustrating (like this morning) when idiots cause accidents and end up creating massive delays

On the flip side though its better sitting in my own car to being crowded on a train with loads of strangers, dont have to listen to their music and not to mention said train can delay my journey just as much as an accident can

I dont see myself ever rushing back to Central London for that reason (let alone monthly ticket costs) - Even if it means I dont earn as much because it enables me to spend a lot more time with my Son!! - Not to mention I get to work from home twice a week
  • Options
    Maze Hill to London Bridge is 10 minutes on the train and I work right outside the station so I can't complain. I used to travel from Kidbrooke though and waiting on the train outside Lewisham every day was enough to drive anyone insane.

I like the idea of working from home more but I've found the reality is a lot more boring
  • Options
    haven't got a choice
    Why?
  • Options
    Hour door to door if all runs smoothly, Bexleyheath to Covent Garden. Can be a pain in the arse when the trains are knackered but pretty much always get a seat and have a kip on the way home. The biggest pain in the arse is usually other commuters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    haven't got a choice
    Why?
    Get paid much more if I commute rather than not. Easier to find jobs, easier to network, more things to do after work rather than just driving home
  • Options
    Been commuting by train for nearly 30 years now. You'd think I'd be immune by now but I can say it winds me up just as much now as it ever did! :(
  • Options
    barnehurst to earls court usually 
    occasionally tooting to olympia 

in work before 7 so never busy but wanky others ruin it. 
  • Options
    Pretty easy to do. Walk to Lewisham (half hour), go gym, train, and this morning I did it on autopilot to the extent that I had to double and triple check I was wearing the right shirt and shoes for work, and not my gym stuff. 

I've got no other real choice than train into London Bridge, so that's why I put up with it. And once it becomes routine, you're fine.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Typically around 1 and a half to 2 hours every morning, maybe 15 minutes quicker going home.
    Rochester to Bermondsey.

Yeah. It sucks.
  • Options
    No.

It is something you have to do if you have responsibilities but not the ability or confidence to set things up better to please yourself.

As an old git if and when I retire it will be because of the travelling rather than the work in the main although increasing mandatory online stuff which doesn't work properly is stressful too.

There are not many reasons to be pleased to be old but a foreseeable end to commuting is one.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

20 minute journey in the car at 10pm becomes anywhere between 25 and 40 minutes on the way to and from work depending on traffic.

As said above, music and podcasts make it bearable, plus a bit of me time to think.

• Options
    Bus from Catford to Lewisham, DLR from Lewisham to Stratford (with a change at Canary Wharf on the way back), TFL Rail from Stratford to Ilford, then a 15 minute walk. Takes at least an hour and a half door to door.

That being said, I prefer it this way. Get loads of reading done and think its worth taking a little bit more time and getting up earlier if it means I can pay a bit less and actually get a seat.
  • Options
    Mid 70's to early 90's, I commuted most of the time to London - I do not miss it. 

From early 90's to 2012, worked primarily overseas, so any commute I had was either a weekly or monthly return flight, and normally short walk to work mainly in Frankfurt or Singapore. Although there were many other trips to other countries, they never seemed as onerous as the daily train commute to London. 

Since then, I have worked from home 95% of the time ... could never go back to commuting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ironically, with the right IT/telephone support, I could easily work from home, as could vast majority of people at my company. 
  • Options
    I hate commuting although mine is significantly better than it could be. 17 min train from Streatham Hill to Victoria (dont get a seat but can get over that for a short journey) and a short 10min walk along Victoria street. My main annoyance is when trains go wrong and the people that you are forced into a close proximity with. 

I work from home once a week as long as I don't have any meeting i have to be in for (previous place of work was much better at being connected and having online meetings etc). Really does make a difference on those days half an hour longer in bed and staying in the comfort of your own environment. Can get life stuff done alongside (put a wash on etc) I am more productive too which is great. I wouldn't want to do it much more though as i do miss the office environment and having people around. Did it 4 days running a while back when there was a rail strike and went stir crazy!
  • Options
    The shittiest part of my commute is getting on a bus from Woolwich Arsenal up the hill. I absolutely hate that bit.. and yes i should walk up but i'm a lazy bitch and i just want to get home then.  Easy commute from Woolwich Arsenal DLR at 8.56 and I always get the same seat, to Monument where my office is.  I am very grateful that I dont have to do a tube journey after a 30 min commute.   

• Options
    Upstairs after breakfast, turn on the laptop, and I'm away...Working for home is very different (after 40-odd years of commuting up to London), but I'm used to it now.  It's all about being disciplined, and doing what you need to when it's required, and after that you can have fun!
  • Options
    My van is my office so to speak and I only work around Kent these days so I am going the opposite way to the traffic morning and evening. 

This has saved me 3 hours a day in travel time compared to when I was working around central London.  It has also saved my sanity.

Doing blackwall tunnel twice a day was a nightmare.  Add to that trying to get up and down the Highway to  the city and back, parking costs and issues,  congestion charges, etc. Life was a constant misery and changes needed to be made. 

Now I still get some problems usually on the M20/M25 coming home but I can suffer that. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    About an hour door to door coming in from the west to Paddington, then Bakerloo to Piccadilly Circus.
    Quite enjoy the train time for reading or music or CL, and MUCH better than an hour's drive round the M25 to Hemel (utter toilet) that I did for three years. And I'm really enjoying being in the west end again after several years in the sticks.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    hawksmoor said:
    That is grim.

Anything that requires a tube after a train would be a no from me.
    This morning I was running a bit late, so it was 20 mins walk to station, train to Balham, then Northern line to Stockwell, then Victoria line to Euston, then back on the Northern line from Euston to Camden Town, then the 15 mins from there.
  • Options
    10 minute bus to Dartford Station, 45/50 minute train to Cannon Street, 20 minute walk to Broadgate

If wages outside of London weren't abysmal, I'd have chucked in commuting years ago. But there you go.

What's worse, I'll be moving to Folkestone next year, so even though the journey will be the same length of time (High Speed), it'll be triple the price! Yay!