Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Long Lost Cine Film The Valley circa 1969?

edited November 2019 in General Charlton
My dad recently dug out his old Super 8 cine projector so he could look at some old films that have sat in a drawer for years. One of them showed a CAFC youth team match at the Valley. At the end of the film is a Spurs v Man City game at White Hart Lane. I could recognise some of the Spurs players and think the CAFC match must have been at about the same time. I'm going for 1969-70 but other Lifers might know more. Henry If you want the film for the museum then let me know.

https://youtu.be/LXXI7MmoGco

Comments

• Options
    We'd love to have it, what a find.
  • Options
    Fantastic 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Ben if it was transferred digitally I'm sure the quality would be better. Do you think it's 1969? I wonder if any of these young players made it to the first team 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I checked Spurs vMan City matches from this period where Spurs lost ( they are shown kicking off in this film after a City goal. They lost 3-0 to City in September 1969. As the CAFC game comes before this and the pitch is so poor I reckon it's at the end of the 1968-69 season around May as the pitch is dry and heavily rutted 
  • Options
    I'd go for 67/68, by the looks of it the south terrace is still full sized and I think it was reduced in 68/69. Great bit of film, love seeing stuff like that. Thanks
  • Options
    Jeez - forgot how big the South terrace used to be.
  • Options

I'd go for 67/68, by the looks of it the south terrace is still full sized and I think it was reduced in 68/69. Great bit of film, love seeing stuff like that. Thanks
    Agreed. The South looks intact, making the film 1968 or earlier. Superb.

• Options
    The museum will be happy to get it digitalised.

I'll email you on Monday, Peter.
  • Options
    Thanks Henry I'm glad the museum can find a home for it 
  • Options
    Henry, have you heard of a teddy bear that travelled on the team coach back in the days of the FA cup finals, and attended both those games?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, never heard about a teddy bear.

Tell us more.
  • Options
    Spurs team includes Dave Mackey, Martin Peters, and I think Alan Mullery, so that would date it accurately.
  • Options
    Probably 67/68 as Mackay was at Derby in 68/69 leading them to promotion. We just missed out finishing 3rd after drawing too many home games.
  • Options
    I've been going since 1965 and I don't recall the south terrace being that big. I was only 5 at the time so my recollections my be failing me 
  • Options
    Do you think the film is older than 1967 Mr Dick?
  • Options

Tell us more.
    I was speaking to friend who told me a teddy bear accompanied the players back in the day and that it was given to a mutual friend when he was a kid by a neighbour, who he thinks played at that time - and apparently he still has it.

If interested I will get the story, and if possible, said teddy.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Redrobo said:

Tell us more.
    I was speaking to friend who told me a teddy bear accompanied the players back in the day and that it was given to a mutual friend when he was a kid by a neighbour, who he thinks played at that time - and apparently he still has it.

That would be fantastic @Redrobo
  • Options
    Do you think the film is older than 1967 Mr Dick?
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it was older than 1965. But don’t quote me on that 
  • Options
    The kit looks late 1960s as do the haircuts
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Tell us more.

That would be fantastic @Redrobo
    I will track him down!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Regarding the film, is this something the Museum could formally present to Keith Peacock for his comments? It's a little late for his time in the Colts' team but not for the reserves - very much his era.

• Options
    No half time scoreboard inplace on white wall and only Kentish Times advert on covered end white wall.

Thats how i remember The Heights End (south terrance) and i have been going since april 1967
  • Options
    My dad was a Spurs supporter before moving from North to South London upon getting married.
    He took me to Spurs a number of times before switching to Charlton.
    I remember going to a Spurs v Man C game & it was likely this one.
    I think I recognised Dave MacKay & Martin Peters & or Cyril Knowles.
  • Options
    I think Spurs lost this game as you see them kicking off. I've looked at lost games from that period and think it's May 1968 when Spurs list 3-1 to the Champions City. The Spurs line up matches with players you can pick out. Pitch also looks end of season and matches the state of the Valley pitch. I'm going for May 1968.
  • Options
    Its no later than May 1968 and is probably a reserve game as there are a few people watching it: from memory I don't think youth team matches (SE Counties League, then) were open to the public or even played at the Valley.
  • Options
    The players look very young for the reserves but I am sure it's May 1968.
  • Options
    We played Spurs in the SE Counties League Division One on 24 February 1968, winning 4-1.

We also played Spurs in the SE Counties Division Two that season but both games are listed in the handbook as having been played away.
  • Options
    I don't think the Valley match is against Spurs. They look more as if they are wearing black and white so I thought it was Fulham. Could you check your handbook for a Fulham game in May 1968?
  • Options
    April 27 1968  v Fulham  SE Counties League Division One   1-1
  • Options
    The Spurs 1 v Man City 3 game was on 4 May 1968 so this all fits as you can see both have rough end of season pitches. Great to be able to date it precisely. I wonder if any future CAFC first teamers played?