Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

50 Years ago today

2»

Comments

• Options
    My parents didn't get a colour TV until 1978 and even then the b&W TV was kept as a second set for several years so I would have been watching in b&w well into the 80s
    Colour tv was in the lounge, so on a Sunday night I would get into my mum and dad's bed and watch hart to hart on b and w 
    How I miss me mum and dad xxx 
  • Options
    My first sight ever of colour TV was the classic 1973 FA Cup Final of Sunderland v Leeds, when a multitude of us jammed into my dad’s mate’s front room. It seemed quite astounding.

After severe lobbying, we eventually hired a coloured telly just before the start of the1974 World Cup.

• Options
    And there isn’t a colour broadcast of Charlton beating Millwall....
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    1StevieG said:
    And there isn’t a colour broadcast of Charlton beating Millwall....
    The club shop sold a video of the 2-0 win at the rusty toolbox, in colour, the quality of the picture wasn’t great, in fact it was very snowy.
  • Options
    Also 50 years this weekend that the Sun newspaper launched as a tabloid (it had been a worthy broadsheet before Murdoch bought it).
  • Options
    It's amazing how many people used to rent a set. I suppose the prices were relatively high back then. Also they were were more prone to breaking down & as you rented one the company would repair it for free or replace it.
    Just checked and new set would have been equivalent of £3,000 and monthly rental was around £150.
    Very unreliable and frequently breaking down so buying was risky. But if you rented from Radio Rentals they turned up with a replacement, normally a newer model and took the broken one away that you never saw again 
  • Options
    Just checked we won 14-6 , 1973  :)
    That set must have had shocking resolution for you to miss two French penalties Nick :-)
    Could’ve been a converted try AFKA. Back then a try was only worth 4 points. (Unless you happen to remember this particular result, in which case I bow to your superior knowledge!) :smile:
  • Options

The Ibrox Stadium crush on 2 January 1971 was one of the worst peacetime disasters in Scotland. It left 66 people dead and more than 140 injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/B0cJMZS3B1/Fiveboys
  • Options
    clive said:

The Ibrox Stadium crush on 2 January 1971 was one of the worst peacetime disasters in Scotland. It left 66 people dead and more than 140 injured.

and the 'auld firm' are playing right now at Ibrox
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

Disclosure, Series 3: Stairway 13: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qvk5 via @bbciplayer

Watched this the the other night. Recommend it, very poignant.