Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Australian Bush Fires

I know we have a few 'aussie addicks' such as @Ormiston Addick in Queensland where I understand, along with Sydney, the fires are at their worst.

Just a thread for us to let them know we are thinking of them and hope they are safe. A distant cousin of mine is involved fighting the fires so I'm thinking of her too.

Comments

• floods, fires, can't wait for the pestilence and famine .. 2 of the 4 horsemen have arrived .. Revelations 18.8
  • my youngest son is in Sydney .. he's in an area that is 'safe' .. he says there is near panic (understandably) in some parts of the city, a city with seemingly endless suburbs stretching out into the country/bush, and in parts of NSW and Queensland .. keep safe everyone
  • I thought Mr Trump said climate change was false news?
  • got a message on Facebook the other day from my cousin John in Port Lincoln, South Australia, a fire was out of control and heading for town and it was likely they would have to evacuate to the towns beaches. Luckily a combination of firefighting and a slight change in wind direction averted the crises and a couple of days later the fire was out. Scary stuff. 

• LenGlover said:
    I know we have a few 'aussie addicks' such as @Ormiston Addick in Queensland where I understand, along with Sydney, the fires are at their worst.

Just a thread for us to let them know we are thinking of them and hope they are safe. A distant cousin of mine is involved fighting the fires so I'm thinking of her too.
     All good here thanks @LenGlover no fires too close to us for the time being at least.

I was down in Sydney in the week though and the sky was tinged with smoke from the fires and with the setting sun it gave the whole place a very spooky look.

Perhaps the most alarming thing to take place so far was when the far-left Green Party held a press conference about domestic violence and the external spokesperson decided it would be a good idea to imply that male firefighters - presently out there risking their lives to save properties and people - are very likely to be so stressed by the experience that they will go home and beat up their wives and girlfriends.

As we used to say back in the day, "Why not just rape the Queen Mother on her birthday and have done with it?"

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/nsw-sydney-qld-bushfires-live-updates-fury-after-activist-links-firefighters-to-domestic-violence/news-story/77cbbd720fb0807e127455a380a7b072
  • Pedro45 said:
    I thought Mr Trump said climate change was false news?
    I think he said it was fake news...get it right.
  • edited November 2019
    LenGlover said:

All good here thanks @LenGlover no fires too close to us for the time being at least.

I was down in Sydney in the week though and the sky was tinged with smoke from the fires and with the setting sun it gave the whole place a very spooky look.

Perhaps the most alarming thing to take place so far was when the far-left Green Party held a press conference about domestic violence and the external spokesperson decided it would be a good idea to imply that male firefighters - presently out there risking their lives to save properties and people - are very likely to be so stressed by the experience that they will go home and beat up their wives and girlfriends.

As we used to say back in the day, "Why not just rape the Queen Mother on her birthday and have done with it?"

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/nsw-sydney-qld-bushfires-live-updates-fury-after-activist-links-firefighters-to-domestic-violence/news-story/77cbbd720fb0807e127455a380a7b072
    Pleased all ok with you @Ormiston Addick

I emailed my distant Australian cousins earlier today and the firefighter I mentioned above had this to say: ...' We live in Beaudesert which is in the Scenic Rim.  We spent a few rotations at the recent Sarabah Fires and now we have the fires out at Boonah.  The SER of Queensland has been a tinder box for months.

Unprecedented conditions and it will be a road to recovery for many.

Hope all the Fam in Sydney are safe.'... She is a firefighter of around 20 years experience so reading her comments it must be grim.

Hope you and yours continue to stay safe.

• LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Pleased all ok with you @Ormiston Addick

I emailed my distant Australian cousins earlier today and the firefighter I mentioned above had this to say: ...' We live in Beaudesert which is in the Scenic Rim.  We spent a few rotations at the recent Sarabah Fires and now we have the fires out at Boonah.  The SER of Queensland has been a tinder box for months.

Unprecedented conditions and it will be a road to recovery for many.

Hope all the Fam in Sydney are safe.'... She is a firefighter of around 20 years experience so reading her comments it must be grim.

Hope you and yours continue to stay safe.

Thanks Len - Scenic Rim is about 70 kms from us and it has been a very dry winter so the poor folks there are in for a hell of a time.

This fire below was also about 70 kms from here and it saw a major wedding venue go up in flames.

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/news/cigarette-butt-to-blame-for-devastating-binna-burra-bushfire/news-story/9aa0f9ff8285372aaeb5271fff99221d

One of my work colleagues was actually due to get married there next week and has obviously had to find another venue!
  • LenGlover said:

Jeez. People used to say lots of things back in the day, but it doesn't mean they should be repeated now. That's just wrong on so many levels.

Not really appropriate for any thread, least of all one that is trying to show empathy for people Down Under.
  • Off_it said:
    LenGlover said:

Jeez. People used to say lots of things back in the day, but it doesn't mean they should be repeated now. That's just wrong on so many levels.

Not really appropriate for any thread, least of all one that is trying to show empathy for people Down Under.

I have seen people post some awful sectarian, racist, homophobic, sexist, Islamophobic and anti-Semitic stuff on here - a good deal of it going unchallenged - so am surprised to see you taking such grave offence at this.

Not that I feel I should have to explain it to anyone, least of all you, but this is a comment news reporters would say in the office back in the day when hearing about how someone had done or said something absolutely mind-numbingly stupid and cataclysmic that was certainly going to end their career.

The point being made is that they are so completely screwed by what they have said or done that they may as well have done the most horrific thing imaginable because the consequences for them would be exactly the same - calling heroic fire-fighters wife-beaters probably falls into that category.

• Sponsored links:

• This update on that koala was posted about 15 hours ago. So not sure he made it.  

https://www.drool.pet/blogs/videos/an-update-on-the-koala-that-broke-us
  • That poor little Koala. Been to the Port Macquarie Koala Sanctuary, they do a great job. Think they were under threat themselves from a fire the other day.
  • Hell of a name that Koala's parents chose for it. There's no way he'll ever get out the hospital with a name like that... 
  • Fight the good fight Lewis.