Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Charlton Life of Pie

International break time so let’s get down to the real stuff that matters with a thread dedicated to pies.

What’s the best pie you’ve ever had, where and what

What’s your staple pie / comfort pie / dream pie etc?

Any no no pie?

savoury over sweet?

What do you actually class as a pie? I genuinely don’t understand how a shepherd and a cottager got away with calling their offerings ‘pies’

let’s take a deep filled plunge into the Charlton Life of Pie (let Mehmet get his open goal out his system early doors and then move on)

Comments

• Options
    I had a Steak and Guinness pie last week that was amazing.

Favourite sweet pie is 100% apple pie, although I have just been introduced to pumpkin pie, which was surprisingly nice.

• Options
    Without doubt, the best pie in the world is to be found in Kuala Lumpur. The Out of Africa / Kudu Bar produces an amazing Steak & Kidney pie, although the venison pie and the veggie pies are excellent.
  • Options
    Favourite dessert is Key Lime Pie :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    A pie must have pastry all round, not just be a dish of stew with a puff pastry lid
    I'm glad someone agrees with me :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    A pie must have pastry all round, not just be a dish of stew with a puff pastry lid.

Best pie in recent memory was at The Bull in Wargrave, about 8 inches in diameter and completely filled with rich steak in red wine. Add a blazing fire in the hearth and a couple of pints of Brakspears and you have the perfect autumn dinner.
    Pricy, mind you, at about £16, but you won't eat for the rest of the day.
  • Options

In Wigan a few years back I had a meat and potato pie bap.

It was basically a meat and potato pie in a large roll that had about a slab of butter on each side.  

It was absolutely glorious although my heart didn't beat properly for about a week afterwards.

• Options
    A wigan kebab! Horrific and beautiful in equal measure!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Partial to a Peters Steak and Kidney

• Options
    Staple pie is chicken, ham hock and leek

Comfort pie is mince and onion

Dream pie was a sweet potato, chorizo and feta offering I once had in a restaurant, it was outstanding

• Options
    When I ate meat I loved a good Cornish Pasty.
    Not found any veg pies I love yet.
    Sweet has to be apple.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I've made some astonishing mixed game pies over the years, more by luck than judgement tbh. Had a mooch with a friend when I was back a couple of years ago, and ended up with a couple of mallard and pigeon. I breasted them, added some rabbit he had in the freezer, coated it in flour  fried it off with some onions and garlic, chucked some frozen peas in, added a glug of red and stock cube, all covered with shop bought puff pastry and it was to die for, even if I do say so myself.

I don't think a well made minced beef and onion pie can be beaten though 
  • Options
    A wigan kebab! Horrific and beautiful in equal measure!
    I thought a Wigan kebab was 3 pies on a stick 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    A pie needs to be pastry top and bottom.  Nothing worse than ordering a pie on a menu when its just a pie crust top, you feel almost cheated!
    Yep it's just a stew in disguise, terrible to try and call that a pie. 
  • Options
    M&S do a reasonable chicken pie .

Cook , don't know if they're still about  , used to do a real decent chicken, ham and leek one .

my (deceased) old man , who was a chef , made the greatest Chicken Pie ever and anyone who tasted it knew it was special and always begged for me to get him to make more , my wife hasn't forgiven me for not getting the recipe off him before he passed away , it's basically best to have never had that pie because everything else is soooooo far behind .

Australia love a pie , i remember travelling out there for a couple of months in 1998 and living on pies everywhere .

Brendan O'connell's 'It was basically a meat and potato pie in a large roll that had about a slab of butter on each side' sounds like heaven to me can't beat a bit of bread or a pie and the melted butter action.

Sweet wise i like a good (heated always) apple pie with hot custard and ice cream for the old hot/cold combo .

also partial to a banoffee pie , although thats not a pie as a pie should be .
  • Options
    Had an amazing beef, mushroom and red wine pie down in Devon a few years ago, still remember it now so must have been good.

Think they had won awards for their pies. 
  • Options

When I go to the Emirates with my brother, we always go to Piebury Corner and its a top notch pie.

Pies named after famous Arsenal players, I always go for the Tony Adams (steak and ale)

https://pieburycorner.com/shop/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mum does a lovelly sausage meat pie, with boiled eggs in. Not had it for years though
  • Options
    Mum does a lovelly sausage meat pie, with boiled eggs in. Not had it for years though
    My mum does that too. Its a Mary Berry recipe
  • Options

When I go to the Emirates with my brother, we always go to Piebury Corner and its a top notch pie.

Pies named after famous Arsenal players, I always go for the Tony Adams (steak and ale)

https://pieburycorner.com/shop/

More ale than steak I assume? 
    Just how Tony Adams himself would've liked it haha
  • Options
    My mum does that too. Its a Mary Berry recipe
    Mum's done it all the time I can remember, back to early 80s, and I'm sure my nan made it an all, with boiled potatoes and soggy cabbage from the allotment, caterpillars came at no extra charge. And if you had the bottle to tell me nan that you thought she'd might've left a caterpillar in by accident, she'd come back with something along the lines of "It's cooked ain't it! Stop complaining!"
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Now this is my kind of thread. I love a pie. Favourite filling has to be steak and ale but for me the real key is in the pastry. Real shortcrust pastry made from scratch is another level beautiful. Puff pastry is okay but it doesn't compare to shortcrust.

Don't mind an apple pie or the likes but a real pie is meat and gravy. On the rare occasion I cook a sunday roast the best thing to do is to get the leftover Beef (and veg) chop into chunks throw it in with the gravy, slow cook for a few hours and stick it in a pie. Heaven. 

Went to a lovely country pub (have been trying to remember the name ever since) a year or so ago when visiting my gf's Gran - it served pies that made you drool. The owner was serving us and i complimented her on her pies, she told me they sell 400 a week. if I lived nearby I would eat 400 a week on my own.

There is always a place for a pork pie.
  • Options
    Boar and onion in cider is another nice honest pie filling
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Now this is my kind of thread. I love a pie. Favourite filling has to be steak and ale but for me the real key is in the pastry. Real shortcrust pastry made from scratch is another level beautiful. Puff pastry is okay but it doesn't compare to shortcrust.

Don't mind an apple pie or the likes but a real pie is meat and gravy. On the rare occasion I cook a sunday roast the best thing to do is to get the leftover Beef (and veg) chop into chunks throw it in with the gravy, slow cook for a few hours and stick it in a pie. Heaven. 

Went to a lovely country pub (have been trying to remember the name ever since) a year or so ago when visiting my gf's Gran - it served pies that made you drool. The owner was serving us and i complimented her on her pies, she told me they sell 400 a week. if I lived nearby I would eat 400 a week on my own.

There is always a place for a pork pie.
    Whilst the Pastry is the key the meat has to be beautiful too. Has to be ridiculously slow cooked and beautifully tender. You want it to just fall apart on touch and melt in your mouth.

And now I'm hungry at my desk.
  • Options
    Love a ham and veal pie but don't see them very often.

Mini-pork pies are a good snack.

Chicken and Mushroom pie with chips is good too