Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Belgian Beer advice

13»

Comments

• Looks like the place was rocking:-) 
    Fuckin hell.  The first picture looks like Roland's doing the cabaret!
  • I love it that they always give you the right glass for the beer!  Have just bought some "Blue Moon" cans - no idea what its like.  Describes itself as "Belgian style" beer.
  • cafc-west said:
    I love it that they always give you the right glass for the beer!  Have just bought some "Blue Moon" cans - no idea what its like.  Describes itself as "Belgian style" beer.
    It's a funny one blue moon, I think it's actually an american beer that people have with a slice of orange.

I'm not a huge fan of it, it's ok but doesn't justify its price 
  • Carter said:
    cafc-west said:
    I love it that they always give you the right glass for the beer!  Have just bought some "Blue Moon" cans - no idea what its like.  Describes itself as "Belgian style" beer.
    It's a funny one blue moon, I think it's actually an american beer that people have with a slice of orange.

£1.99 a bottle in Wetherspoons, it goes down very nicely with a slice of orange.
  • Off piste again but on US craft beer, Orpheus "plants have no memories" sour is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. 
  • Carter said:
    cafc-west said:

Coors attempt at a witbeer. The orange is a marketing gimmick, but it does help cover up the taste. 
  • I had no idea about that orange slice... Ordered a pint because I hadn't tried it. Didn't notice they'd done that at first. Did that thing where I didn't want to look stupid so kept it in, and prayed it was supposed to be there. Orange in a beer, I ask you!

Mind you, I had a bottle of desperado the other day without lime, and it was foul
  • edited November 2019
    Desperado is absolute filth, cannot imagine how or why anyone would drink it.  
  • Carter said:
    skywalker said:
    I live near Antwerp and saddly have to say that myself and most of the people I know try to avoid most parts of Brussels . There's a street near "the Grand Place" - butchers street (rue du bouchers), 30 years ago famous for all the lively, but nice restaurants . Now … those are expensive tourist traps . Also, if you take a wrong turn, you can easily end up in the ghetto parts of Brussels (where sandwishes with cheese & ham aren't eaten) . This being said … it's not fair to say this makes the whole country a dull place . It depends what you're looking for, I suppose . Are you a petrol head ? We have the most beautiful racetrack … in the world (Francorchamps) . You're a history buff ? Ask me for a list of things to see & visit . For beer … it's different then Germany for instance . They too have nice beer, but Belgium has different styles . And those styles are evolving . In case you 're interested in a bloke, good with a football … go to Manchester : I hear there's a ginger who's not too shabby ;)
    I love Antwerpen, I have also spent a lot of time in the surrounding townships. 

And I wouldn't do that if I didn't like them, I just think outside of the main cities the locals are pretty weird, in a bewildered kind of way. Hard to describe unless you've been in a dark bar at 3am with a load of farmers and their kids I suppose 

I know exactly what you mean. Its a bit like a tamer version of rural Ireland.
    Antwerp and Bruges i really did like. Infact i will be going Bruges for the 3rd time in Feb. Booking the same hotel as previous times as love it. Dukes Palace. Not plugging just recommending. Give yourself 2hrs for the breakfast though, i wont even bother explain the choices on other and how amazing it is but i had to be dragged out of the dining room every morning.
    Brussels, dont like it. Ive had bad experiences each time ive been. Probably gone down the wrong street as said previously so thats fair enough, can happen in London or anywhere else.
  • About 40 years ago, a bloke called Pierre Celis made Hoegaarden . It was terrific and was served with a slice of lemon . (in the glass, not the bottle) . A couple of years later, he sold Hoegaarden to Interbrew ( Stella, Leffe … ) and the formula changed . It wasn't bad but nothing compared to the original . Later, Pierre Celis opened a brewery in Austin (Texas ) with his daughter in charge . He made Celis White (pronounced "sell us white" ) to the exact formula of the original Hoegaarden . Recently, Celis was in a bit of rough water, but I think they are still making beer .