Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shot Shy Charlton

I see from the official BBC report of today’s game that Charlton have had fewer shots so far this season than any other club in the championship. Today’s dire performance aside, I’m a little surprised by that. We do set up to contain and to keep a lead if we get one but I’m still surprised at the stat. 

Comments

• Options
    After that performance today, I wouldn’t be surprised if the players were in the bar afterwards doing shots!
  • Options
    I see from the official BBC report of today’s game that Charlton have had fewer shots so far this season than any other club in the championship. Today’s dire performance aside, I’m a little surprised by that. We do set up to contain and to keep a lead if we get one but I’m still surprised at the stat. 
    Doesnt surprise me. Most games we are lucky to get more than a couple of shots on target. Not saying you should shoot at any opportunity (most of  Preston's today would give Nicky Bailey a run for his money) but Gallagher showed a couple of weeks back what can happen if you shoot. 

As Curbs said in Dec 1992......more shots !!
  • Options
    We don't often take hopeful shots from long range. It's clearly part of the way Bowyer wants to us to play.

There's also been quite a few games where we haven't had much possession, so in turn create fewer chances.
  • Options
    To be fair I dont care if our shots to goals ratio is low

Better that than waste good opportunities like Preston at times today whose efforts were constantly going high over the bar and never looked powerful enough to go in
  • Options
    After that performance today, I wouldn’t be surprised if the players were in the bar afterwards doing shots!
    After that performance today,I wouldn’t be surprised if the players were in the bar before doing shots...🤔😉
  • Options
    After that performance today,I wouldn’t be surprised if the players were in the bar before doing shots...🤔😉
    Same again, landlord
  • Options
    Our top striker has been out for a slew of games and we’ve had nine or so other injuries in that time. That has to have skewed the stats in a negative way.
  • Options
    Wee try and create good quality of chances. Watch our play. We try and create a breakthrough. If it's not on we back away and go again. We don't take hopeful shots or put in hopeful crosses. We build and build until we great an opportunity for a good shot. It work most of time time.

Sometimes I feel we may have taken this a little too far. Yesterday for instance I felt there were a couple of occasions where we could have flashed the ball across the box and hoped to cause a little confusion and hope someone could get something on it. Instead we kept going to try and break them down but it didn't come to anything.

Bow obviously trusts the process.
  • Options
    I mentioned a while ago, that if someone was to show the stats on target for the Covered End (normally) in 2nd half, then it would be abysmal. Aside from Stoke game, the number, i guess would still be in single fingers total. I dont remember one save from the games i recall, being Brentford,Birmingham,Leeds and Preston.
  • Options
    That’s why Bowyer bangs on about taking chances when they come up. He realizes the importance of that for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Our top striker has been out for a slew of games and we’ve had nine or so other injuries in that time. That has to have skewed the stats in a negative way.
    I assume in all those games we've had 11 fit players on the pitch. Just because Taylor has been out injured doesnt mean that Bonne, Leko or Aneke can't step up & let fly from 20 yards. Oztumer used to score his fair share at Walsall....dont think I've seen him shoot once yet. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I assume in all those games we've had 11 fit players on the pitch. Just because Taylor has been out injured doesnt mean that Bonne, Leko or Aneke can't step up & let fly from 20 yards. Oztumer used to score his fair share at Walsall....dont think I've seen him shoot once yet. 
    Look at the league table, what we're doing is clearly working!
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Sky showed that we were top of the goals to shots ratio for the first 6 games. Since then it has dropped alarmingly. If we carry on in the same vein as the last 6-8 games we will soon be in mid to lower end of the table.

It's funny because in that iconic 15 min video of CAFC'that was on here last week LB says clearly that if you dont score you wont win games. I'd go further by saying if you dont shoot you wont score......and the more you shoot the more you are likely to score.
  • Options
    Losing your main striker will do that to team though.

Better shots lead go goal, not any old shots, which is a key part of our success.
  • Options

Better shots lead go goal, not any old shots, which is a key part of our success.
    I remember Leaburn scoring at Villa when his shot was not only going well wide but may have even gone off for a throw. But it got a deflection & nestled in the back of the net.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Sky showed that we were top of the goals to shots ratio for the first 6 games. Since then it has dropped alarmingly. If we carry on in the same vein as the last 6-8 games we will soon be in mid to lower end of the table.

It's funny because in that iconic 15 min video of CAFC'that was on here last week LB says clearly that if you dont score you wont win games. I'd go further by saying if you dont shoot you wont score......and the more you shoot the more you are likely to score.
    If you dont create any chances then you aint gonna score. Its no good shooting from the half way line.
  • Options

I remember Leaburn scoring at Villa when his shot was not only going well wide but may have even gone off for a throw. But it got a deflection & nestled in the back of the net.
    Cool story, I'm willing to trust Bowyer over a random bloke who's never played professional sport.
  • Options
    I think that these days teams do try to play themselves into the box and do over elaborate at times.We do not see anything like the attempts from 20-25 yards we used to,As a previous poster said,Gallagher shows what can happen if you have a go.How often do we see players approaching the box whereby we implore them to shoot,only to see them stop,try to play through a packed defence,or go sideways or backwards.Whack it every now and then,you never know.