Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hazell starring Nicholas Ball

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    thought I was gonna be in an episode once.

I used to go primary school down Columbia Road (flower market)in Tower hamlets and they were filming in the newsagents opposite.

They wanted some kids (aged 7 to 8 ish) to walk in and say something cheeky to the shop keeper and get told off by Hazell.
    was part of the group that was filmed but never did see it on any of the episodes.

Got a couple 10p mix bags of sweets for our troubles though

Was that it? I thought 'Hazell' featured quite serious crimes.
  • Options
    Was Budgie the one where he had a snitch called Lonely or am I thinking of something else? 
    That was Callan.  Also shown to Talking Pictures.
    That it Henry! Edward Woodwoodward, swinging light bulb and all that. 
  • Options
    Used to enjoy Public Eye.
  • Options
    Ah yes - the great Alfred Marks... 
  • Options
    You got a bit mixed up there, the character was Frank Marker played by Alfred Burke.
  • Options
    My wife bough me the DVD of Turtles Progress for my birthday ( It was a comic spin off from The Hanged Man, which I don't remember). I used to love it as a kid. Not watched it yet, so not sure how well that has dated either. 
  • Options
    Bump - just started.
  • Options
    Alwight tweacle. 
  • Options
    Yep, it's really dated. I've had enough of that. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    You got a bit mixed up there, the character was Frank Marker played by Alfred Burke.
    Course it was... I should post on the "getting old" thread... :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After a slow start, I thought it got much better. Nice to see and remember the characters, Cousin Tel and the cop. A good guest turn from Jane Asher too. I will put it on series link. 
  • Options
    Dated in some ways yes but enjoyable in its own right as a period piece.

I enjoy the location shots on these programmes showing things as they were as much as the actual plot or lack of in some cases.
  • Options
    I loved Hazel. Didn't he have a dodgy mustard coloured leather jacket ?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I quite enjoy re living these old programmes and will certainly watch Hazell. When there is nowt but crap on the tele I always put a minder, sweeney or the professionals on, never tire of watching them. 

Also thought John Thaw was light years ahead of his time portraying Reagan in the Sweeney and boy, didn't he know how to sit in a cars passenger seat, he managed to look chilled, cool and yet threatening all at the same time while being driven around in that Granada 
    Me too.

The other one from the 70s that was a favourite of mine was Budgie, played by Adam Faith. Some great characters, including Charles Endell Esquire played by Iain Cuthbertson.

Charles Endell was a great character.

When I first saw the Thread title "Hazell"  I thought of Adam Faith for a few seconds as Budgie always said to his girlfriend:
    "For Christ sake Hazel"  

More Dated than Katie Price, but despite reminiscing not being what it used to be:
    Hazell and Budgie were Favourites of mine.

Not sure I could watch them now as it's would remind me that my long hair has vanished like Lord Lucan.
  • Options
    Got the Callan box set but I'm finding it hard work.  
  • Options
    In those days ..if you wanted to watch the box you had 3 choices...it's certainly quantity over quality these days but I guess it's only hindsight that makes you reconsider the quality..used to love budgie, callan, hazell,the Sweeney etc ..not forgetting colditz, manhunt etc ..bouquet of barbwire was a bit racey at the time ..not sure if I understood all the nuances of the latter.

Not withstanding the bigotry on show at the time it was a golden age ..some great memories 
  • Options
    I'm not Saying all the posters are over 55 on this Thread, but I think they are !

Right for our Younger CL Viewers, Hazell was a "Saf Landan" ex copper who opened his own detective agency, the Sweeney it wasn't, Morse it wasn't:  Both played with aplomb by the wonderful John Thaw.

More vocal than punch ups or car chases,
    not cerebral, but with some decent dialogue: "I've got a wad of cash 'ere that could choke a washing machine.''

Watching anything from the seventies will look dated, just like the middle age to old CL members.
    Almost (54) enjoyed Hazell back in the day.