Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Nice to see the players have a system for who takes the penalties in Taylor's absense

Would be interested to see if that extended to a player who wanted to take the penalty because they felt confident yet werent the person designated to take the spot kick - i.e. Whether he'd accept that its not his job or whether we'd see an on the pitch argument

Although cant think I've ever seen an argument like that between two Charlton players wanting to take a penalty
  • Options
    I am sure di canio and Euell did at some point 
  • Options
    Nice to see the players have a system for who takes the penalties in Taylor's absense

Would be interested to see if that extended to a player who wanted to take the penalty because they felt confident yet werent the person designated to take the spot kick - i.e. Whether he'd accept that its not his job or whether we'd see an on the pitch argument

Although cant think I've ever seen an argument like that between two Charlton players wanting to take a penalty
    I must admit I prefer a striker to take a penalty over a non-goslscoring midfielder. As Bonne took them for Orient I would have thought he was 2nd to Taylor. Was very surprised on Saturday to find Cullen with the ball.
  • Options

I must admit I prefer a striker to take a penalty over a non-goslscoring midfielder. As Bonne took them for Orient I would have thought he was 2nd to Taylor. Was very surprised on Saturday to find Cullen with the ball.
    Yeah I usually have the same attitude - Thought Cullen would miss to be honest as he's not a goalscoring Midfielder

To be fair to him though I dont remember him taking a penalty (which he scored) against Doncaster so had I remembered that then Id have been more confident
  • Options
    Jacko was very insistent at the no.1 supporters' group meeting that he thinks players arguing over who takes the pens is unprofessional.

That had a first taker and a back up if he was off the pitch. Obviously Cullen is number 1 when Taylor is out. Bonne may well be the back up but Jacko wasn't saying.
  • Options
    What number penalty did Cullen take in play off semi final? 
  • Options
    What number penalty did Cullen take in play off semi final? 
    Was second taker
  • Options

It's not a bloody job interview Josh... You're staying here forever 
  • Options

Middlesboro in the early eighties.  We won a penalty; Killer puts it on the spot and starts his run up, then is told he mustn't take it (mid-run) by the bench. He stops, get's booked (!), and Carl Harris steps up with the most impotent spot kick you have ever seen which the keeper bends down to collect.  We lose 2-1...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't worried when I saw it was Cullen. Technically he is gifted and you can tell he is cool under pressure, both things you need in a penalty taker. The fact he doesn't score from open play doesn't mean he can't score from the penalty spot
    Agreed. He's used to taking dead balls too

Sometimes the penalty taker can be a defender, the likes of Stuart Pearce or Lee Dixon, or indeed Mark Reid if they have the right technique and temperament
  • Options

The way Kayal grabbed the ball on Saturday, I thought he was taking it so it was a surprise to see Cullen on the spot.

The thing with penalties is if you strike it cleanly with precision you are scoring 9 times out of 10. Cullen is probably the best passer in the side so him being able to take a good peno makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    His penalty technique makes me nervous. Moves towards the ball far too quickly. 
    He said he hadn't studied the keeper before the match ..... and just hit the ball instinctively.
    Perhaps he just needed to put that first pen away for his confidence.

• Options
    With the obvious exception of Super Clive, would say Bobby Curtis, Mark Reid and Tommy Caton. 
  • Options
    He showed enormous bottle in coolly taking that penalty just a few minutes after missing an open goal .. he is so consistent and will be an honorary Addick for ever and wherever his career may take him in the future 
  • Options
    Cardiff away, Yoni did pretty with that one. Can't recall him missing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DRAddick said:
    His penalty technique makes me nervous. Moves towards the ball far too quickly. 
    He said he hadn't studied the keeper before the match ..... and just hit the ball instinctively.
    Perhaps he just needed to put that first pen away for his confidence.

Think that might be a whoosh moment.