Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wembley or Carlisle

JTJT
edited October 2019 in General Charlton
Just to get minds off 98th at Bristol. 
Wembley of course for the drama, but was thinking earlier the difference in our last two L1 promotions were in terms of spotlight, glamour, mass and location. Yet so similar in terms of manager relationship, team spirit and endeavour. 

Plus Mr J.Jackson involved in both. Only Charlton. 

Carlisle 
https://youtu.be/4CTb7OmEp30

Wembley

https://youtu.be/QX7ztqXihZQ

Comments

• cafctom said:
    In terms of connection with players/manager etc there is a very strong bond with the current set up, but I do think the Powell era from 2012 takes some beating.

I was at Carlisle away (and got on the pitch). It is the away day I most proud of, as I couldn’t convince anyone to come with me as everyone kept saying things like “Carlisle are 6th, it will be tricky, I think we’ll go up at the following home game”. I genuinely felt as though I had to go and be there to back the team in case there was a chance it could happen - which it did. 7 hours each way on a coach, on my own, and it was a remarkable day. Definitely one of those ‘I was there’ occasions.

The drama and carnage of the last minute winner at Wembley is untouchable though as far as single moments go.

2012/Carlisle - Best season
    2019/Wembley - Best moment
    Me too :-)

I was the only one of our large group who went to Carlisle, also by coach.
  • Had tickets for Carlisle but big brother  ( yes, you @LargeAddick) said that Sheff Wed wouldn't lose so might as well not bother going & so we sent the tickets back.....

Golfie Jnr had never forgotten or forgiven me/him for that & so that's why last May was so special for us. 

I didnt go to the previous Carlisle game either so its currently:

Wembley 2  Carlisle 0.
  • Was at Carlisle and maybe if the Wembley win wasn’t so dramatic it might be the winner just for being rewarded for going that far with promotion. I think a last minute winner at Wembley can stand up to just about any Charlton memory. 
  • As a day Carlisle was up there, but to win at Wembley as we did beats it.  The pure excitement of the ball going in even made @clb74 smile.
  • Carlisle 3 Wembley 2
    Or more precisely, Carlisle 3, Wembley v Sunderland 2.

No chance of another promotion until we're in the same division as one or other again.  ;)
  • Wembley - as everyone was there 
  • Sponsored links:

• The couple of weeks leading up to away, @TelMc32 and I were thinking of go, didn’t get round to booking anything and left it at that. Then on the Weds, at a project review meeting, there was a job in Silloth, having never heard of the place, I asked where it was. The answer was not far from Carlisle, the job was for the Saturday, so in my best Wham impression “I’m your man”. Work arrange a hotel and I done the job on the Friday, while @TelMc32 got the train up, Had a few beers the night before and prepared for the game. 
    The game and results elsewhere went our way, a couple of days I will never forget as everything just fell into place.

You'd get on well with @roseandcrown
  • be interesting to know how many we took to carlisle as a lot claim to of been there - i wasn't had a ticket but was my grandads birthday so gave it a swerve. 

that season we were up for a long time imo

last season we sneaked in at last knocking and beat the faves to go up - happy days. 
  • cafctom said:
    In terms of connection with players/manager etc there is a very strong bond with the current set up, but I do think the Powell era from 2012 takes some beating.

I was at Carlisle away (and got on the pitch). It is the away day I most proud of, as I couldn’t convince anyone to come with me as everyone kept saying things like “Carlisle are 6th, it will be tricky, I think we’ll go up at the following home game”. I genuinely felt as though I had to go and be there to back the team in case there was a chance it could happen - which it did. 7 hours each way on a coach, on my own, and it was a remarkable day. Definitely one of those ‘I was there’ occasions.

The drama and carnage of the last minute winner at Wembley is untouchable though as far as single moments go.

2012/Carlisle - Best season
    2019/Wembley - Best moment
    Will agree with that, will always be my favourite season because I did 43-games out of 46 in the League along with the Halifax and Fulham FA Cup games

I think last season will probably be my second favourite though; No one gave us a hope in hell, when they spoke about the promotion candidates it was always about the top four

Thanks to our form in 2019, we really did just nip in there and steal 3rd which for me was pivotal to our Wembley win
  • I did Carlisle '86, as well as both Wembleys. Arbitrary closure of the  restaurant car and ban on drinking alcohol on the train back was a major dampener for me. And I still felt the loss of the Valley.  In contrast both Wembleys were celebrated properly, even if like most people in 98 I mainly felt exhausted. Last May after match was wonderful, late into the evening around Borough Market there were pocket of Charlton everywhere, and I heard a couple of blokes pass by grumbling that "this is Millwall territory". It felt like London belonged to us that evening. 
  • be interesting to know how many we took to carlisle as a lot claim to of been there - i wasn't had a ticket but was my grandads birthday so gave it a swerve. 

last season we sneaked in at last knocking and beat the faves to go up - happy days. 
    A shade under a thousand.  A shocking turnout bearing in mind the importance of the game.

A shade under a thousand.  A shocking turnout bearing in mind the importance of the game.
    But it wasn’t as if it was THE key game. We were always going up, it was just a question of which game it would be clinched at.

indeed I booked Preston as I thought THAT would be the promotion party game!

But it wasn’t as if it was THE key game. We were always going up, it was just a question of which game it would be clinched at.

There was always going to be a chance that Carlisle would clinch things, we should have had near to 1,500 up there.
  • Carlisle best weekend following CAFC ---Banannas in Blackpool --etc etc with people who arnt with us anymore--- preston lock in---greenwich millwall oub lock in ---the football World was with us
  • Sponsored links:

• Carlisle was more enjoyable because it was a free hit - we were going to go up sooner or later.
    On holiday for this Wembley, but 1998 was so terrifying I don't think I enjoyed anything about it until Sasa's save.

There was always going to be a chance that Carlisle would clinch things, we should have had near to 1,500 up there.
    It wasn't in our own hands though, we only got promoted that day because other teams unexpectedly dropped points
  • Obviously they've all got something going for them. For me Wembley '98 was best because of the way the game went one way then the other. Carlisle '12 was best for the incredible spirit of oneness at the club, something that we've not seen since. Wembley '19 was the best for the last minute winner and the fact that my boys were there.

It wasn't in our own hands though, we only got promoted that day because other teams unexpectedly dropped points
    But we still had the chance to go up.  How many times do we get the chance to witness a promotion day? 
  • Agree with Elfsborg. At the time I couldn’t understand the logic of trying to pick which day we thought promotion would happen and just going to it. My feeling was ‘everyone needs to go there to make sure that we help the boys do the job on the day’.

As someone who went that makes it a bit sweeter for me. So many times I've called these things wrong. That time, against the odds, I got it right. 
  • 1,100 @ Blackburn in 2000 was dreadful as well.
  • cafctom said:
    Agree with Elfsborg. At the time I couldn’t understand the logic of trying to pick which day we thought promotion would happen and just going to it. My feeling was ‘everyone needs to go there to make sure that we help the boys do the job on the day’.
    We could have won 5-0 and still not gone up. I recall it was a big surprise when our rivals all dropped points that day
  • cafctom said:
    Agree with Elfsborg. At the time I couldn’t understand the logic of trying to pick which day we thought promotion would happen and just going to it. My feeling was ‘everyone needs to go there to make sure that we help the boys do the job on the day’.
    We could have won 5-0 and still not gone up. I recall it was a big surprise when our rivals all dropped points that day
    But that shouldn’t have been the point. It shouldn’t have been about trying to pinpoint the critical game and just going to that. Any game where promotion is a possibility should have a better attendance than that day had.