Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric Cars

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    I suggest you look at the on line reviews. Narrow down your choice based on usual factors ie 4 doors,size of boot etc then choose the one with the biggest and most efficient battery. Factor in installing a charger at home, if you can. Not essential but brilliantly convenient. Not convinced by hybriids myself.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Is cars being more rapid a good thing? Might be good for undertakers.
    EVs have the same speed limits as other cars
    I think you are confusing top speed with acceleration. Most ICE cars have a much higher top speed than the electric equivalents. But 0-60 acceleration in an electric car is bonkers. 
  • Options
    At the end of December took a 3 year lease on  a E power Nissan Qashqai,  It is a mild hybrid, so an 'introduction' to electric vehicles. I got it for the same price on a lease for 3 years as my Merc GLA. I do about 8-10,000 miles a year. What with servicing and Insurance the Merc was not going to get any cheaper, even with a £30 a month off. 
    I live in an end of terrace house with no driveway, so charging is an issue, let alone the distance. Still not convinced that the battery in either guarantee, or distance is there yet, I would want it to be 400 miles, with a 10 year manufacturers warranty, and in my price range that seems unaffordable. Nissan have also  withdrawn their local garage KAP, so will have to go to Ashford for a service, issues?. It is the same dealer who has a branch at Dartford and Maidstone so no big deal. 

I fully expect both the price and reliability to improve in three years time, but will try and pick up a mini, as we hope to be moving back to the outskirts of Bexley. If In can put in a charging point, we shall see?

Have to keep an eye on the Ulez situation.
    We have a Fiesta eco boost, and unlike another poster on here have found it a great little second car, cheap on Insurance and fuel, and parts are at present pretty cheap.  We will be going back to one car later this year, so will be selling it. Had about 5 previous Fiesta's, and was sad when they no longer produced it.

Insurance prices seem to have rocketed, despite having 2: 20 year NCB's, and anyway would be taking the train to London, and the locals bus as it's free, and frankly less hassle.

• Options
    Depending on the year those ecoboost engines are doomed to fail. The wall thickness between the coolant lines and the cylinder wall is insufficient and the block cracks. The engines were redesigned in 2017 to fix the issue.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    follett said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Of course most of my journeys like most people are local so no big deal if I decided to get an EV. However I’m based in West Yorkshire so for family and other reasons I return to SE London on a reasonably regular basis. If my EV gave me 200 miles it wouldn’t get me there. Another full charge wouldn’t get me home. Might sound a bit daft but that alone puts me in two minds. 
    I did a road trip in a Renault Zoe at Christmas 2022, went from south London to Manchester and then Liverpool and then back. The range of those is only about 170 at motorway speeds and in the cold. Never had an issue with a stop off at a service station for a quick break, grab a coffee, came back and I'd enough charge to get me to through the next leg. I've got a bigger EV now with a much longer range so it would be even easier, I think Tesla's charge from about 20% to 80% in around 30 minutes using on of their superchargers, depending on the model that's around 180 miles in the time it takes to stop off for a quick break and a drink.

Obviously really long distances for EVs at the moment are a slight issue as it will add some time to a journey but if you're traveling the length of the country you're probably stopping for a break anyway so the additional time then is minimal.
    Not to detract from the excellent information in your post but I never stop for a coffee or a break when driving Leeds to London. Having to do so would really irritate me. Also when I get to London on my regular visits to visit my father in law I couldn’t charge my EV at his house. Having to drive to somewhere and spend the time doing so would also irritate me. Sounds like I’m just creating problems where there are none but at this point an EV is not for me. 
    It definitely does cause a hassle if you wouldn't ordinarily stop as it does add a fair bit of journey time on. You would be able to charge at the house as they can be charged with a standard 3 point plug but it depends how long you stay for. They charge slowly and wouldn't do much damage if you were only there a few hours
    Fewer people driving long-distances in one hit, tired, would be a good thing
    The journey time for me from Leeds to London is under four hours. I certainly don’t need to stop because I’m tired. In fact stopping for forty five minutes would make little difference to my level of tiredness if I was stupid enough to drive in that condition.
    The Highway Code recommends a "minimum break of at least 15 minutes after every two hours of driving". Drivers having to stop to recharge their car, as well as themselves, is a good thing. 
    I don’t know many people that would follow that advice. Basically it’s bollocks, that why. I bet there is not a single poster on this thread that does. 
    You'd lose that bet
    You then ?
    And me. Surprised at your stance on this, SHG. On the other hand, it only needs 10-15 mins for the loo, and at our age, mate, some stretching exercises. Try it, you’ll notice the difference. Where I am with you is that 40 mins or more, even assuming you get straight to a free spot, is too long. That’s why I have a new PHEV, not an EV. Oh and another reason is, if I need a re-charge, it’s usually in Germany where the charging points usually operate on some completely impenetrable system only known to locals. When I give up in bafflement, or because the debit card couldn’t connect to the payment system due to their ropey internet, I thank the heavens I have a PHEV. Anyone got any experience with charging in Germany? I must be doing something wrong.