Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bexleyheath and Welling FC query

Can anyone date this and/or explain why we have it in the museum?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe given to us when we played them in a Friendly game?
  • Options
    addick1965 said:v
    Maybe given to us when we played them in a Friendly game?
    Almost certainly but when?

When did they use that name/logo?
  • Options
    Hope this helps.
    From my collection of Charlton and football memorabilia collected over nearly 60 years.
    Addicks line up, Bartram, Gower, Ellis, Hewie, Jago, Titcombe,
    Rryan Charles, Terry, Cox and Barry

• Options
    Thanks @mistrollingin

Great spot.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    special match? friedly match in May? second team line up maybe.

unless the 11 v 11 website has got it wrong but we played spurs the day before. 

https://www.11v11.com/matches/charlton-athletic-v-tottenham-hotspur-05-may-1955-73775/
  • Options
    special match? friedly match in May? second team line up maybe.

unless the 11 v 11 website has got it wrong but we played spurs the day before. 

https://www.11v11.com/matches/charlton-athletic-v-tottenham-hotspur-05-may-1955-73775/

According to Colin Camerons book Charlton won 1-0 v B'heath & Welling, Scorer Hewie.
    Line up for the spurs match was, Bartram, Campbell, Townsend, Hewie, Ufton, Hammond, Hurst, E. Firmani, Ryan, White and Tucker.

Leaving just Bartram, Ryan and Hewie in the Welling match.
    Of course, there could have been changes, as the Welling programme would have been printed earlier in the week.
  • Options
    Maybe something to do with Syd Hobbins who founded them I think. Sam's understudy for a long time - wild guess? 
  • Options
    Maybe something to do with Syd Hobbins who founded them I think. Sam's understudy for a long time - wild guess? 
    Syd Hobbins not listed in the programme, but the Welling manager was Bert Johnson who played for Charlton from 1946 to 1953 so maybe that's the link?

• Options
    Oh, could be couldn't it. What a nice man he was, had the privilege a couple of times. That could put a bit of jigsaw in place. 
  • Options
    Not exactly related to the query, but Bexleyheath & Welling then became Bexley United in the 60s I believe - Bexley United went bust in the 70s.  Welling United then took over PVR in late 70s, having played at various other grounds in area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/14834596908

This is a link to a program for a game at PVR between BH&W Colts and Man Utd Colts in the 1954 (FA youth cup).  Duncan Edwards & Bobby Charlton are included in the Man Utd line up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not exactly related to the query, but Bexleyheath & Welling then became Bexley United in the 60s I believe - Bexley United went bust in the 70s.  Welling United then took over PVR in late 70s, having played at various other grounds in area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/14834596908

This is a link to a program for a game at PVR between BH&W Colts and Man Utd Colts in the 1954 (FA youth cup).  Duncan Edwards & Bobby Charlton are included in the Man Utd line up!
    John Hewie managed Bexley Utd for a short time in 1968.

The FA Youth Cup programme is now extremely rare.
  • Options
    Bexley Heath?
  • Options
    We used to send youngsters to Bexleyheath & Welling quite often years ago including Eddie Werge, Keith Cox and John Sewell.
  • Options
    For a few seasons in the late 60s I used to go regularly to Park View Road, with a couple of school mates.

Long John Hewie was the player-manager, around 42 years old at the time, I seem to remember. 
    Stand out players that I can recall were Dickie Wheeler, Bexley's very own 'Georgie Best' with long hair, dribbling skills and trickery in midfield;
    Hewie's mate Eddie Werge on the wing; and the fullbacks Colin Knott and the frequently overlapping Vic Akers, who went on to have a League career with Watford.