Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Davison - Sold to Tranmere (pg 17)

Comments

• Thanks for the memories Josh 

Yes, I enjoyed the thumping win in the Papa John's as well ! Just seeing Charlton players score in any game is enjoyable but in the League 1 matches Josh always looked like a League 2 or National League player. Could still improve as some forwards mature later and he has an engine and is faster than both Joe Pigott and Michael Smith who have made a decent living in football. Not as good a goal scorer as Joe and Michael but he could be useful in League 2 against wobbly CB's.
  • Over on Wimbledon life they’re tugging themselves off as they’re signing players from a team that finished 13th in league one and that’s their aim !
    he tried his best but like  most of the dross we’ve had in recent years not good enough and part of the worst footballing period in our history 
    9 seasons in 14 in the third tier , pathetic 
  • surprised and disappointed that he's gone .. not the most skilled but always had a good go .. surprised in that Garner had him on loan last season and must have seen some development // perhaps the missed shoot out pen did for him, or perhaps he asked for a move to ensure regular first team football .. I hope we have another striker on the radar as we are now even more lacking in this part of the squad .. last theory .. was he sold to balance the transfer pot and/or reduce the wage bill ?
  • Wish Josh the very best in the future. It wasn't going to work out as far as I can see, and this feels like the best for both parties. happy to applaud him if and when he turns up back at the Valley.
  • In every game he played he was the hardest working player on the pitch, also seemed fairly robust as cannot remember him being injured very often. Sadly for us, not got the quality to play at this level yet but think he will do well for Wimbledon and good luck to him. If he can improve his finishing and first touch he could end up with a decent lower league career.
  • Bit of a 'Plain Jane' striker who could learn to make better use of his strengths. Still, he always worked hard and never hid, even when he was playing badly. I'd rather have him than David Mooney. 
  • He was a useful allrounder and I didn't mind him being 3rd choice. The issue being Anekes fitness means we are 1 injury to Stockers from him starting. As long as we get someone else in I'll be happy with the move and wish him all the best. Didn't kick on from some promising signs in the struggling championship side but still has good potential and works incredibly hard.
  • Good move for both Josh & Jacko, I think.

Onwards & upwards, guys ! 
    It’s funny, I’ve always wanted Wimbledon to lose whoever they’re playing, but not sure that’ll be the case with Jacko there. 
  • Heard we got decent enough money. 

I disagree with the posts saying he 

Chunes said:
    Bit of a 'Plain Jane' striker who could learn to make better use of his strengths. Still, he always worked hard and never hid, even when he was playing badly. I'd rather have him than David Mooney. 
     The guy who scored 6 in 30 for us despite being a bit limited.  Didn't he also score in the play offs against Swindon to take us to extra time, despite a massive head injury?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Heard we got decent enough money. 

I disagree with the posts saying he 

Chunes said:
    Bit of a 'Plain Jane' striker who could learn to make better use of his strengths. Still, he always worked hard and never hid, even when he was playing badly. I'd rather have him than David Mooney. 
     The guy who scored 6 in 30 for us despite being a bit limited.  Didn't he also score in the play offs against Swindon to take us to extra time, despite a massive head injury?
    I didn't know he had a massive head
  • Sponsored links:

• @Dazzler21 , "decent money" is very subjective? 

My guess is he cost around the same as Famewo! Going rate for our boys last season.
  • mendonca said:
    @Dazzler21 , "decent money" is very subjective? 

My guess is he cost around the same as Famewo! Going rate for our boys last season.
    Which is more than we have paid for their replacements :wink:
  • Very pleased for the the lad that he's got a three year deal and I hope that he, Jacko and Wimbledon do well. As we know, Josh has his limitations but hopefully his speed, strength and work rate will create problems for League 2 defenders. It will be interesting to see how he does alongside that 6 foot 9 inches giant, Kyle Hudlin, the ex-Solihull Moors centre-forward that is on loan from Huddersfield. I'm guessing there might be a few headed flick-ons for Josh to run onto.

With the departure of Washington and Davison, we are two strikers down, so hopefully one will be coming in before the opening game at Accrington. I really don't think that playing Stockley on his tod with two non-goalscoring wingers will work and I'm sure that Ben Garner will have someone in his sights.
  • mendonca said:
    Good luck but it might suit him well to chop that ponytail off I'd say. Bit like wearing white boots in the 90s!
    On the pitch or down the disco?
  • Played in Wimbledon’s 2-0 defeat to Reading on Tuesday night.
  • "The situation was out of my hands"

Doesnt sound like he'd have renewed if we didnt have the option... Not surprised
  • Sponsored links:

• Does put into context some of the complaints I've seen about people asking what kind of ridiculous club would trigger JFC's contract extension when you see that we did the same thing with Davison, a player nowhere near good enough to lead the line in our League 1 team, and got a club record fee out of a L2 team for him. We're not now swimming in millions but that was sensible business, getting a fee for a player we could have seen go for nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  • Does put into context some of the complaints I've seen about people asking what kind of ridiculous club would trigger JFC's contract extension when you see that we did the same thing with Davison, a player nowhere near good enough to lead the line in our League 1 team, and got a club record fee out of a L2 team for him. We're not now swimming in millions but that was sensible business, getting a fee for a player we could have seen go for nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Davison did well for Swindon.  Doesn't have a horrendous injury record and his wages would be MUCH cheaper than JFC.

The two situations are very different.

• Would imagine the Davison fee was c.100K, maybe less.
  • supaclive said:
    Does put into context some of the complaints I've seen about people asking what kind of ridiculous club would trigger JFC's contract extension when you see that we did the same thing with Davison, a player nowhere near good enough to lead the line in our League 1 team, and got a club record fee out of a L2 team for him. We're not now swimming in millions but that was sensible business, getting a fee for a player we could have seen go for nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Davison did well for Swindon.  Doesn't have a horrendous injury record and his wages would be MUCH cheaper than JFC.

Not really though. JFC has had two bad injuries that obviously affected our ability to sell him but when fit has consistently done well at L1 level. which is more than Davison can say, and by all accounts signed a pretty low-pay deal due to the fact he signed it ahead of being out for the season. There's also the fact that the new manager coming in, if it hadn't been Garner, might have wanted JFC as part of his squad and utilised him. It's a shame we apparently can't now as he's a good player and would hopefully prove his fitness. Regardless though, either way is a gamble. Things could have been slightly different and we might have been able to shift JFC but ended up stuck with Davison who Garner might not have wanted at this level. It's all gambles and some pay off and some don't, which is my point.
  • Would imagine the Davison fee was c.100K, maybe less.
  • supaclive said:
    Does put into context some of the complaints I've seen about people asking what kind of ridiculous club would trigger JFC's contract extension when you see that we did the same thing with Davison, a player nowhere near good enough to lead the line in our League 1 team, and got a club record fee out of a L2 team for him. We're not now swimming in millions but that was sensible business, getting a fee for a player we could have seen go for nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Not really though. JFC has had two bad injuries that obviously affected our ability to sell him but when fit has consistently done well at L1 level. which is more than Davison can say, and by all accounts signed a pretty low-pay deal due to the fact he signed it ahead of being out for the season. There's also the fact that the new manager coming in, if it hadn't been Garner, might have wanted JFC as part of his squad and utilised him. It's a shame we apparently can't now as he's a good player and would hopefully prove his fitness. Regardless though, either way is a gamble. Things could have been slightly different and we might have been able to shift JFC but ended up stuck with Davison who Garner might not have wanted at this level. It's all gambles and some pay off and some don't, which is my point.
    We beg to differ. 
    JFC's lower salary is nowhere near the salary Davison was on.
  • AFC Wimbledon are on a very tight budget, as all their money went on the new stadium and I believe they sold a number of multiyear season tickets so won't have that income again this year 
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

We beg to differ. 
    JFC's lower salary is nowhere near the salary Davison was on.
    What were their salaries?
  • shirty5 said:
    Would imagine the Davison fee was c.100K, maybe less.
    Wimbledon mate reckons around £250k! They're saying it broke their transfer record which was previously £180k.