Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British Ropes football team circa late 60s

I played a few games for the Ropes back in the late 60s when I think this photo was taken (supplied by my brother Alan). I'm not in it; the only names I can provide are: George Maddox (manager); next to him is Bobby Levett; to the goalkeeper's right as you face it, my cousin Micky Box; next to him is my brother Alan. Anyone have other names as I recognise the faces of all of them but forgotten the names.  

Comments

• Options
    All looks a bit ropey if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Would loved to have had a cousin named Micky Box. 
  • Options
    Micky Box, me uncle Ray's best mate. Ray worked at British Ropes an all
  • Options
    ...just sent the photo over to my uncle. He might know a couple mate
  • Options
    But he might knot.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    But he might knot.
    Think he's tied up mate, he ain't come back yet.
  • Options
    Not the reaction so far that I was hoping for.

• Options

Really? It was a bit of a long shot and you’ve already got @i_b_b_o_r_g bothering his uncle about it.
    Couple of ropey jokes aside, not sure what you expected.
  • Options
    Don’t leave him hanging!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @WoodhillWinger Do you know Ray Kennedy (Meatball) mate? I WhatAp'd the photo to him last night but he's not picked it up yet. Im pretty sure he'll be able to identify s couple more as he know everyone. I'm surprised he's not in the photo too as he's really into his football and, as I said, Micky Box is one of his best mates. He started Stamford Boys FC when me cousins got to playing age, so he's been into Sunday League football a long time
  • Options
    Ibborg, thank you for your efforts so far. As someone said above, maybe it is a long shot getting names as it is 50 years ago. But British Ropes being a local firm, there maybe someone out there of my age or their children who may have connections. I’m not sure about your uncle Ray’s name but let’s wait to see if he comes back with something.
  • Options
    Alan Ball, second from left bottom row.
  • Options
    Ibborg, I had another cousin who actually worked at BR named Roy Taylor; he was a shop steward there and also played for them (before this photo). My cousin Mick was a fireman at Lakedale Road I think.
  • Options
    Think they are now Bridon Ropes and were playing out of the meridian a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    The only one Ray can put a name to is Denis Day?

He sent the photo to Micky Box's wife to see if Mick can fill in the gaps.

Ray said he took over from Roy Taylor as shop steward
  • Options
    I remember Denis Day; he was a good player then, even in his 30s I believe. He may have played for Doncaster Rovers or someone like that in his younger days.
  • Options
    Message reads - Okay _George maddocks. Bob levet. Terry percell. His brother don't know his name. Keith d. K. His second name. Huewie d. K. H. SECOND NAME. front row Ray d. K. His second name. goal keeper David Jackson. mick box. And alan  Armitage. Mick box _cousin _that is all he can remember for the moment 👍🇬🇧
  • Options

Then not a good idea to post anything on CL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I asked a friend if he could help you out, he said “sorry,I’m afraid not”
    Tell him to go and get spliced 
  • Options
    Knot the reaction so far that I was hoping for.

Fixed for you
  • Options
    Rope puns are knot for everyone.
  • Options
    please stop twisting this thread. Its not the response the OP was hoping for.

Ta(r)
  • Options
    Rope puns are knot for everyone.
    What about yarns
  • Options
    This is a great thread
  • Options

Good to see it's not been a totally ropeless task.

Sorry my keyboard keeps misinterpreting the "h"s for "r"s and then adding them where they shouldn't be WoodhillWhinger.
  • Options
    Following your lookalike trail:

Martyn Waghorn next to him (keeper), Scott Minto - front row far left. A young Charlie Watts in the back row - 2nd player from left. John Belushi - back row far right.
  • Options
    Stefco said:

Martyn Waghorn next to him (keeper), Scott Minto - front row far left. A young Charlie Watts in the back row - 2nd player from left. John Belushi - back row far right.
    Reckon the keeper looks more like Simon Church. 
  • Options
    Stefco said:

Reckon the keeper looks more like Simon Church. 

Better scoring record than Churchy.