Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amazon/Online .. Always Bargain Prices ?

Excuse this seemingly insignificant (but not to me) insight into the minutiae of my domestic life, but it may serve as a lesson to all armchair bound/smartphone/laptop only shoppers
My favourite Pyrex jug was accidentally shattered into lots and lots of pieces yesterday.
I immediately started a search for a replacement. The price for a 1 Litre Pyrex Jug ? .. Amazon from £8.75 .. Asda instore price .. £3.00

There you go ((:>)

Comments

• Options
    bbob said:
    Worth the extra to not have to set foot in Asda 
    Grimsby Asda .. known to my friend as Cracksville Central .. I took the risk anyway
  • Options

Primark has warned customers not to purchase its products from third parties online as they will be paying higher prices for them than in store.

Reports had suggested Primark - which does not have an online shop - was now selling its products on Amazon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50058594

• Options
    If you go out shopping. 

Consider transport expenses. Maybe you feel tempted to eat out.
    Time is money. You are strolling about...in a shopping centre...when you could be doing something else.

If you shop a lot. Purchasing things from Amazon....will overall, always be more cost effective.
  • Options

Dave2l said:
    If you go out shopping. 

Consider transport expenses. Maybe you feel tempted to eat out.
    Time is money. You are strolling about...in a shopping centre...when you could be doing something else.

If you shop a lot. Purchasing things from Amazon....will overall, always be more cost effective.

all true except for the 'Amazon will always be more cost effective' bit .. my little story tells a different story and, for example, if you buy a lot of books, Waterstones' prices are getting more competitive with Amazon prices .. 
    Lots of people really hate Amazon but like Lidl and Aldi, the company has done a lot to bring down prices and to shake the high street retailers out of their collective complacency .. the overall moral of my story is, like Smokey Robinson said/sang .. 'You Better Shop Around' to get the best deals .. 
    AND, as an old geezer, transportwise, I have a free bus pass, a godsend during my driving ban
  • Options
    Quite often I’d pay the extra for the convenience of it being here the following day
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Quite often I’d pay the extra for the convenience of it being here the following day
    I'm a 'Prime' member .. good TV/vid selection and free delivery on most stuff for £70 a year (if you go for the annual payment)
  • Options
    Tend to check between online stores and often go unbranded.
  • Options
    Excuse this seemingly insignificant (but not to me) insight into the minutiae of my domestic life, but it may serve as a lesson to all armchair bound/smartphone/laptop only shoppers
    My favourite Pyrex jug was accidentally shattered into lots and lots of pieces yesterday.
    I immediately started a search for a replacement. The price for a 1 Litre Pyrex Jug ? .. Amazon from £8.75 .. Asda instore price .. £3.00

Lincs, fill your boots in Asdas and flog them on Amazon! 
  • Options

Lincs, fill your boots in Asdas and flog them on Amazon! 
    great idea .. however I am not too up on the demand for the 1 litre Pyrex jug, as fine a product as it is ((:>) .. I will  not be taking the investment risk, 'I'm Out' as 'they' say on 'Dragons Den'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I'm a 'Prime' member .. good TV/vid selection and free delivery on most stuff for £70 a year (if you go for the annual payment)
    I'm a Prime member and shopping isn't cheap. It's a misconception, often postage is incorporated in to the price.

Also Amazon TV is terrible, I'd leave if I could be bothered...
  • Options
    Once Amazon and the other online sellers destroy the High Street, pretty soon, just watch their prices go.
    They're not cheap for us but because they have a plan.
  • Options
    Other than tickets for events, I can’t think of a single thing I’ve bought online in the last few years.

Think in my life I’ve only bought one item off Amazon and have never even looked at EBay.

i think the only item of clothing I’ve ever bought online was the protest shirt a few years ago
  • Options
    Fortunately for the e-commerce industry, Mrs AFKA more than makes up for my reluctance...
  • Options
    I don't mind food shopping but shopping centres/retail parks are my idea of hell.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    For Amazon, take the page link of the product you want to buy. Go to camelcamelcamel and search that link. It will give you the product history price comparison. Set a reminder so you receive a notification when the product hits a low price. 

For example a one pint Pyrex jug has been as high as 17.17 but as low as 4.83. if you can get it cheaper on the high street then it's an easy decision.

As for Amazon killing the high street, yes they have played a part but then so have the major supermarkets.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    As for Amazon killing the high street, yes they have played a part but then so have the major supermarkets.
    ......and your out of town Lakesides and Bluewaters before Amazon. 
  • Options
    It’s unfair tax wise though isn’t it?
  • Options

EastTerrace said:
    It’s unfair tax wise though isn’t it?

this is very true and it will be interesting to see if 'Brexit', IF it ever comes to fruition, will put a stop to huge corporations choosing their euro country of convenience for taxation purposes re UK trading and profits. There will still be the 'problem' of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man of course.
    Back to Grimsby, (I have mentioned this before) the large but rather outdated House of Fraser store pays a total of over £1 Million a year in rent and rates, all this before utilities, upkeep, staff costs etc. Little wonder they must charge £45ish (in the sale) for a 'designer' polo shirt that will look tatty after one washing cycle. 
    I wonder what the huge Amazon distribution centre on the outskirts of Doncaster is charged in the way of rent and rates ?
  • Options
    I have prime but only really use amazon at Christmas as it’s easy when buying in bulk. 

I’m a big fan of the high street so will use the shops whenever I can. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you'd get more people looking at this thread if you change the title to "Jugs" 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I think you'd get more people looking at this thread if you change the title to "Jugs" 
    far too frivolous .. this is a VERY serious topic !!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

far too frivolous .. this is a VERY serious topic !!
    He’s just triggered an “alert” on @DaveMehmet phone!