Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A memorial to Charlton in Catford?

Lewisham council are spending money on a consultation on how to improve Catford. Good luck there. Anyway, should we have a memorial to The Mount at Mountsfield park, our glorious home for (I think) about half of the 23/24 season? The link below takes you to somewhere to leave a comment. Having a little corner of SE7 in SE6 might annoy some of the locals.

https://catfordtowncentre.commonplace.is/comments/5da3152453c0de000eea90aa

Comments

• Options
    Lewisham Council should just pour all the money into restoring the Big Cat. It looked pretty shabby last time I saw it.....
  • Options
    Lewisham Council should just pour all the money into restoring the Big Cat. It looked pretty shabby last time I saw it.....
    they are getting rid of cat once the long term development of centre goes ahead the cat goes bye bye. that said leave the bloody cat alone
  • Options
    they are getting rid of cat once the long term development of centre goes ahead the cat goes bye bye. that said leave the bloody cat alone
    What?  The cat is going?  What they gonna do with the litter tray... sorry i mean Catford?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What?  The cat is going?  What they gonna do with the litter tray... sorry i mean Catford?
    There’s no question that Catford Town Centre ((Rushey Green) has slowly but surely gone down hill since the 70’s and that it’s this factor that has made the area in general poorly thought of......however there are still some very nice large areas of Catford in which I am sure most folk would be quite happy to live.
    The house prices there clearly reflect that.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Won't be Catford then will it? Renaming West Ladywell or South Circularville?
  • Options
    I thought the Catford Cat was going to stay, according the Mayor of Lewisham.

I know lots of here look down on places like Catford (and Woolwich and and and... - obviously we have a lot of Mayfair residents on here) but it does have a decent community there that care about the place.

It also has one of the best pubs in London (Blythe Hill Tavern). It's lost the Constitutional Club, sadly, but Catford Mews is great, Ninth Life and the Bottle Shop and Bar are good, along with some decent grub in the area. The worst thing about it is the South Circular.

I don't think Charlton's contribution to Catford deserves to be recognised though, to be honest.  One season, wasn't it?
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Personally I don't think a memorial is appropriate but a note about catford Southend (whose home it really was ) and a bit about cafc might be nice 
    Agree ..... it would be a good idea to recognise Catford Southend FC.
    They were founder members of the Athenian League, along with other top amateur clubs.

Nicknamed, erm ..... The Kittens.

They were an ambitious and quite successful club in the decade leading up to World War One and had a decent following, probably a bigger name than Charlton Athletic were at the time ..... in 1919/20 both Charlton and Catford played in the top division of the London League. 

Check out this blog:
    https://runner500.wordpress.com/2017/09/15/catford-southend-the-football-club-that-nearly-took-over-charlton-athletic-part-2/

"Ultimately, a successful London amateur non-League team was brought to extinction by over-ambition and trying to take a short-cut to Football League status which some of its nearest neighbours in Millwall, Crystal Palace and Charlton had all already obtained."

There but for fortune ...... it could have been Catford Southend that became the League club - instead of Charlton!

• Options
    On a slightly different note I think the cat itself is a monstrosity
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:
    They should have a statue of Fritz.

Don't tell me that guy is still roaming about???
  • Options
    I like the cat, it ought to be fully restored, and five or six more made and dotted around the place.
    I also like the attractive painting of railway station names on their nearby bridges.
    For Lee it is also accompanied by an image of a Heron which I think is great.
  • Options
    Get the sumo wrestlers back!

But seriously, Catford needs lot of investment b4 we worry about CAFC plaques.  If it really was a serious idea, maybe a collection via the history society, if it still exists.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I like the cat, it ought to be fully restored, and five or six more made and dotted around the place.
    I also like the attractive painting of railway station names on their nearby bridges.
    For Lee it is also accompanied by an image of a Heron which I think is great.
    Forest Hills has a depiction  of the oldest Charlton fan! The Horniman walrus!
  • Options
    I thought the guy who shouts randomly at cars is Fitz and I can assure you he is still about, regularly seen in Catford and Ladywell doing just that. The Cat  is going to be saved when (if) the centre gets redeveloped. I work in Catford and the shopping centre is the worst part of it. I suspect it is going to go the way of Peckham in that it has a large unloved multi-storey car park and lots of empty shops, coupled with quite nice large houses nearby that people aspire to move into. There's already sporadic attempts by the council to encourage the first wave of gentrifiers into the centre. One of the closed charity shops has re-opened as a yoga place! It's really only the shopping centre/Milford Towers and surrounding streets that is down at heel. It's got 3 parks on it's edge - Ladywell Fields, Mountsfield Park (briefly home of SE London's finest) and Forster Park. It really isn't that bad and I do wonder where else people live that is so much better. 

Let's face it, a few years ago who'd have thought Peckham would be so posh no one normal could afford to live there? 

• Options
    That cat came out of nowhere. Catford was never quite as posh ever again. 

• Options
    There's a little local history plaque off Rushey Green (near the London & Rye) which mentions Charlton's time in Catford. 

I did hear a few months back that there was a plan to put a cricket pitch in the bowl where The Mount was, although nothing appeared this summer. Catford parkrun runs round that bowl every week.

And yes, you don't know Catford if you don't know Fritz. Charlton has an equivalent to Fritz, who turned up doing the museum's Blitz walk up to the village a couple of months back.
  • Options
    There's a little local history plaque off Rushey Green (near the London & Rye) which mentions Charlton's time in Catford. 

I did hear a few months back that there was a plan to put a cricket pitch in the bowl where The Mount was, although nothing appeared this summer. Catford parkrun runs round that bowl every week.

And yes, you don't know Catford if you don't know Fritz. Charlton has an equivalent to Fritz, who turned up doing the museum's Blitz walk up to the village a couple of months back.
    There WAS a cricket square there from 50s through to early 70s...

It would be an ideal setting for a cricket square but it would need greater care than recent efforts in mayow park and hillyfields ...I expect LBC would have bigger priorities 
  • Options
    Funnily enough I have never taken to the Cat ....now it has become a landmark though it should be preserved in some way ...although if anything Catford should be represented by cattle rather than cats
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rananegra said:
    I thought the guy who shouts randomly at cars is Fitz and I can assure you he is still about, regularly seen in Catford and Ladywell doing just that. The Cat  is going to be saved when (if) the centre gets redeveloped. I work in Catford and the shopping centre is the worst part of it. I suspect it is going to go the way of Peckham in that it has a large unloved multi-storey car park and lots of empty shops, coupled with quite nice large houses nearby that people aspire to move into. There's already sporadic attempts by the council to encourage the first wave of gentrifiers into the centre. One of the closed charity shops has re-opened as a yoga place! It's really only the shopping centre/Milford Towers and surrounding streets that is down at heel. It's got 3 parks on it's edge - Ladywell Fields, Mountsfield Park (briefly home of SE London's finest) and Forster Park. It really isn't that bad and I do wonder where else people live that is so much better. 

Let's face it, a few years ago who'd have thought Peckham would be so posh no one normal could afford to live there? 

Definately Fritz, and glad to hear he is still about, the loon.
    The area around the old dog stadium has been redeveloped and that was probably the start of the gentrification. It wont stop now.
    Catford Green as its called, half a million to live in a 2 bed flat next to two train stations is ideal for some so they will pay it.Yes Ladywell Fields is nice and right on the doorstep but seriously.
    As you say, same thing happened with Peckham and i grew up there. It seems that over the last 20yrs people in inner London have been getting pushed out further into shitty suburbs like Bromley,Bexley.
    Joke

• Options
    Interesting thing about the Catford Green development - there is some housing association stuff there and the daughter of a colleague lives in one. She's a teacher so can barely afford it, but the main thing for her is that social housing tenants are not allowed to have car parking spaces, only owner occupiers. All the streets nearby are now parking schemes so she's constantly getting tickets. I think part of the planning restrictions were that it couldn't have too much parking. 

• Options
    rananegra said:
    Interesting thing about the Catford Green development - there is some housing association stuff there and the daughter of a colleague lives in one. She's a teacher so can barely afford it, but the main thing for her is that social housing tenants are not allowed to have car parking spaces, only owner occupiers. All the streets nearby are now parking schemes so she's constantly getting tickets. I think part of the planning restrictions were that it couldn't have too much parking. 

I know somebody that bought a shared ownership there. She wasnt happy as when she moved in to her 1st home, a brand new home,  it was basically a building site outside for 2yrs. 
  • Options
    That cat came out of nowhere. Catford was never quite as posh ever again. 

The black cat was the making of Catford. A landmark like....like the Angel of the North.