Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The England let us down again page.

I really can not understand why I fall for this every time that England play in a international competition. " England can win this " I always feed myself this nonsense. Why on earth did we think we had a great world cup? it must have been Southgates magic waist coat and the set piece love train. We beat Panama, Colombia (on pens) and Sweden and lost to Belgium (twice) and Croatia. Yes you could argue that you can only beat the teams in front of you but really?.

About this time last year was England's best performance beating Spain in their own back garden then scape past Switzerland on Penalties only to eventually lose to Holland.

So yes after all that I just wrote about I will still dust off my Vuvuzela and fall for it all over again.

Comments

• Options
    What I'm finding ironic at the moment is the fact that people need to look back to the 2018 World Cup and question one aspect that helped the National Team out

For me it was the simple thing that there was absolutely no expectation!!... We went to Russia off the back of a 2016 exit against Iceland in the Euros and a 2014 World Cup where we didnt even get out of the damned Group

When the draw for 2018 was made nearly everyone said that we'd struggle to get out of the Group, then we just went along for the ride when it got better and better - Am sorry I dont buy the whole "we had the easiest route to the Semi-Finals", yes that is true but the expectation prior to the competition was that we wouldnt even get close to it

Of course now we've reached the Semi-Finals of two International competitions that expectation will be firmly back on the shoulders of what is a very young England team, it doesnt help that we dont have a great selection of Centre-Backs at the moment but seriously continue to treat England like we did in 2018, go in with zero expectation, that way you wont be left disappointed should we fail, if we dont fail then the joy at winning should be even greater surely?
  • Options
    A few people get over-excited, and suddenly, apparently, "everyone" thinks England are world beaters. In my experience 95% of people are totally cynical about their chances of success. Of which about 30% appear to want them to fail, just so they can say "I told you so". The shit newspapers are a big part in that, but then they play a big part in most of what is wrong with England anyway.

Even when they do well, it's "because the opposition were poor", or "we got a good draw". Ten years unbeaten in qualifying - ten years! - any other country would be celebrating that fact, I hadn't even heard that (which might be my fault) until, of course, we lose. And what else do we hear? "Well that's all well and good, but when we get to the finals we are always crap".  

And the biggest irony of all? Those moaning on here, support Charlton... 
  • Options
    First defeat in 10 years of qualifying. I’d say that’s pretty good .
    This 100%. Can't be many teams that have done that. I don't get carried away watching England & most of the qualifying games I can take it or leave it. Fwiw, I think we have an imbalanced team & have too many youngsters in it. Players like Mount need a couple of years in the Premiership before starting for England in a qualifying match......not half a dozen games for Chelsea. 
  • Options
    One of the major issues as to why we nearly always have great expectations is that we often have a squad that on paper ‘should’ be able to go on and win something once in a while......that’s why we continue to live in hope. 
    As to why it hasn’t happened in the last 53 years is of course another matter altogether.
  • Options
    We're the Spurs of International football.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    We have in Sterling and Kane, two world class forwards. We have good forward players around them too. There is work to do elsewhere, but Southgate is trying to blood young players and with that comes a risk, which hopefully will pay off later. If Gallagher carries on as he is doing, I don't think he is far away from this squad.
  • Options

International football does very little for me now - I really couldn't give a toss.

If it wasn't for Charlton I'm not sure I'd even watch that much club football. 

• Options
    England have done very well under Southgate and not lost a qulaifier for 10 years. Good to have a reality check now rather than at a tournament, before our optimism gets out of control again.

Could do without our Twat Army though:
    https://www.football365.com/news/the-england-twatarmy-are-yesterdays-men

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bring back national service, capital punishment and half day closing.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

International football does very little for me now - I really couldn't give a toss.

100% this.
  • Options
    fenn3098 said:

I really can not understand why I fall for this every time that England play in a international competition. " England can win this " I always feed myself this nonsense. Why on earth did we think we had a great world cup? it must have been Southgates magic waist coat and the set piece love train. We beat Panama, Colombia (on pens) and Sweden and lost to Belgium (twice) and Croatia. Yes you could argue that you can only beat the teams in front of you but really?.

About this time last year was England's best performance beating Spain in their own back garden then scape past Switzerland on Penalties only to eventually lose to Holland.

So yes after all that I just wrote about I will still dust off my Vuvuzela and fall for it all over again.

Because we reached the semi final. That's the last 4 of a competition that 210 countries entered qualifying for. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Me an all
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Me an all
     This is certainly my stance... If it isn't Charlton is it even football at all?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    For the keyboard warriors slagging off England’s away support the arrests happened 4 miles from the ground whilst the game game was on - you clearly know fuck all about so don’t comment 

the fans that did go spent circa 6/700 quid and a v small minority - probably not even England away club members got nicked for having a sing song and had the backs put up when a load of robocops turned up 
  • Options
    It’s 1 game expect us to bounce back tonight and get minimum of 1/4 next year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

England are overrated anyway, people forget although we were semi finalist at the world cup, we lost 3 games lol. Every time we faced better opposition, we lost.

Our defence is terrible, making our team incredibly unbalanced. We can score, but my god can we leak goals too.

• Options
    The only consolation i have ever wrestled from the arms of continued deep despair, is that we definately ain't as shit as the Jocks...
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    England have done very well under Southgate and not lost a qulaifier for 10 years. Good to have a reality check now rather than at a tournament, before our optimism gets out of control again.

Could do without our Twat Army though:
    https://www.football365.com/news/the-england-twatarmy-are-yesterdays-men

The pretentious prick that wrote that article can’t have been away with England recently. Perhaps if he went to the nations league in Portugal he would of seen....absolutely no trouble, instead of writing shite like this...

As Will Self pointedly said, quite obviously, not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist, but almost everyone who is racist did. In the same way, obviously, not all England fans are intolerant and right wing, but those who are intolerant and right wing will likely say they’re an England fan. Taking over market squares and bars and putting up Cross of St. George flags isn’t the best way to make anyone believe you’re not going to be a problem.

Ah yes, because the Dutch, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Germans etc don’t all meet up and drink whilst displaying their nations flag. 
    I thought I remembered some problems in Porto, so just Googled "England fans nations league trouble." I think you are mistaken Gary?

Let me say that I am totally aware that the herberts are a very, very small minority. But they do exist, there is no point in denying it. 

The article is not accusing all England fans of being hooligans, and I agree that the line  "Taking over market squares and bars and putting up Cross of St. George flags isn’t the best way to make anyone believe you’re not going to be a problem." is a load of bollocks. There are blokes who follow England (or use England matches as an excuse to follow their bizzaire agenda) who are there purely to cause trouble. 

• Options

England are overrated anyway, people forget although we were semi finalist at the world cup, we lost 3 games lol. Every time we faced better opposition, we lost.

Our defence is terrible, making our team incredibly unbalanced. We can score, but my god can we leak goals too.

Can go the other way with that though and say 2 of the lost games didn't really matter. One was the last group game in which we made a ton of changes and in which losing was better for us anyway, and a 3rd-4th placed play off that no one cared for. 
  • Options
    Can say the same applies to most international sides. I think England have the resources for everything to click into place but they need luck with injuries (as do most sides) and they need the manager to get it right. Southgate is capable of doing so but there are never going to be guarantees.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Can go the other way with that though and say 2 of the lost games didn't really matter. One was the last group game in which we made a ton of changes and in which losing was better for us anyway, and a 3rd-4th placed play off that no one cared for. 

In my eyes, that's everything that is wrong.

Being satisfied with losing a game because we get 'easier opposition'. We won't win anything with that mentality.

• Options

But who are overrating this England team?

As mentioned... People went into the 2018 Tournament with zero expectation about getting out of the Group

Everyone would have laughed had someone said we'd have made the Semi-Finals

Maybe your getting overrated mixed up with hope?

Nothing wrong with hoping that Charlton get promoted this season or England win every Major Tournament that we enter, I personally am not expecting either to happen though - Or maybe your getting confused about the "Its Coming Home" song when its clearly become a running joke throughout rather than arrogance
  • Options
    edited October 2019

But who are overrating this England team?

As mentioned... People went into the 2018 Tournament with zero expectation about getting out of the Group

Everyone would have laughed had someone said we'd have made the Semi-Finals

Maybe your getting overrated mixed up with hope?

Nothing wrong with hoping that Charlton get promoted this season or England win every Major Tournament that we enter, I personally am not expecting either to happen though - Or maybe your getting confused about the "Its Coming Home" song when its clearly become a running joke throughout rather than arrogance

Zero expectation of getting out of a group consisting of Tunisia and Panama?

2nd favourites for the Euros... clearly somebody is overrating us?

• Options
    England never let me down cos I never overexpect what they'll achieve .. most of the top strikers and midfielders in the Prem are foreigners .. some English youngsters are coming through, but they aint arrived yet
  • Options
    edited October 2019

In my eyes, that's everything that is wrong.

Being satisfied with losing a game because we get 'easier opposition'. We won't win anything with that mentality.

We havent won anything with the other approach so why not be a bit smarter about how we go about things

Your simply letting your pride get in the way of success

No one will remember how we got to the Semi-Finals in years to come, they'll remember that we got there... Do you think Wales will care if they reach the Rugby World Cup Final beating everyone below them in the rankings? - Of course they wont