Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton United

No connection to Athletic that I can see but the museum (plug, plug) were sent this on twitter.

Taken from the 1894/5 Woolwich & District League handbook.

Some interesting opponents and dressing rooms.

Comments

• Options
    That's my kind of dressing room!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    "Tottenham Hotspur" what a strange name, they won't go far
    I always love seeing things like this as feel so damned odd seeing any League team of today in that sort of position
  • Options
    Also odd that the overwhelming majority of sides are SE London then randomly a couple of distant ones spurs, Walthamstow and Windsor!
  • Options
    Also odd that the overwhelming majority of sides are SE London then randomly a couple of distant ones spurs, Walthamstow and Windsor!
    I thought that.  Strange fixture list.
  • Options
    anyone know anything about the Jolly Boys in lower Charlton? pub team? 

trotter family involved somehow? 
  • Options
    Used to turn over Millwall Rangers every game, lads we backed the wrong horse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't posted here for a while, but that's a great find, Henry.

The Rose of Denmark would have been the previous incarnation of the present-day pub (which was built around 1960 as I recall).  It would suggest that the Victoria Field is the area East of Victoria Way and between the Woolwich Road (Lower Road in 1890's ?) and Troughton Road.  I know that the houses at the bottom of Victoria Way (No's 1 to 11) were built around 1900 or just before.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    anyone know anything about the Jolly Boys in lower Charlton? pub team? 

trotter family involved somehow? 
    Could be wrong and it may not be the same team(as this would have been late 1980s so Doubt its the same Jolly Boys ubless they were around for 100 years lol) maybe @stackitsteve can answer, but pretty sure are uncle used to play for a team called The Jolly Boys, I remember he used to tell us he was in Goal and conceded about 9 or 10 every game(he said he was good but his defence was poor haha)
  • Options
    Why were Tottenham Hotspurs playing in the Woolwich and District League? - and they complained about Arsenal moving to muscle in on their part of London.
  • Options
    Played Rochester at Balham. Strange one
  • Options
    milo said:
    Why were Tottenham Hotspurs playing in the Woolwich and District League? - and they complained about Arsenal moving to muscle in on their part of London.
    Sadly they weren't - only the fixtures marked with a star were Woolwich Alliance
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    milo said:
    Sadly they weren't - only the fixtures marked with a star were Woolwich Alliance
    That explains the games against, Rochester, Eton and Millwall (who would have been from north of the river at the time).
  • Options
    Erith crop up a lot in those days. They played in Arsenal's first ever home game in 1886. Up The Dockers!