Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boy in the photograph

Comments

• Options
    Interesting thread. 

Two things:

Do you just have the lady’s word it was this person? Have you had that said by anyone else?

Are you sure on the spelling? I know a family of Cheesman’s local to the area, so seems there are a few Cheeseman / Cheesman / Chiesman variations
    @AFKABartram Yes, we're just going on her lead but she knew him as a boy.   It may be Albert or similar but she was sure it was Cheesman/Cheeseman and not Chiesman as in the shop in Lewisham.   It's also backed up by the Craven FC photo on page 1.

The guy we've been pointed to who was born and married in Greenwich is named Cheesman.

That's what makes it an interesting quest, we don't know.

If you know a Cheeseman family, please ask them if it's them.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I make no claims to be in Mrs Rooney's league!

However, assuming that we are 100% sure the boy in the 1947 FA Cup photo was called Arthur Cheeseman, I have found an Arthur R Cheeseman, birth registered in Dartford in the December quarter of 1934,mothers maiden name Clark. This Arthur would have been 12 in 1947 so could potentially be the boy in question.

I have found a potential marriage for this Arthur, registered in the December quarter of 1954 in Dartford, to a Norah J Bloomfield but cannot trace any offspring of this marriage. Nevertheless I believe I have also found an elder brother, John H Cheeseman, whose birth was registered in Dartford in the March quarter of 1931. I believe John H Cheeseman had a marriage registered in Dartford in the March quarter of 1960 to an Ivy Reid.

The birth of a Robert Cheeseman, mother's maiden name Reid, was registered in Dartford in the December quarter of 1963. Robert would be Arthur's nephew. There are also two possible daughters, nieces for Arthur, sisters for Robert. Susan, birth registered Bexley June quarter 1965 and Pauline birth registered Bexley in the March quarter of 1967.

No idea if any of this is any use or help whatsoever but here it is anyway for better or worse. 

EDIT: I believe Arthur has other siblings if any of this is of interest or help.
    Who Do You Think You Are?
  • Options
    Will there be a moment's applause for the wrong Arthur Cheeseman in the 47th minute of the next game? 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Sorting through your family photos, @Addickted?
    It is embarrassing when you recall some of them

Wonder what she was shopping for in Homebase.....
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Interesting thread. 

Two things:

Do you just have the lady’s word it was this person? Have you had that said by anyone else?

Are you sure on the spelling? I know a family of Cheesman’s local to the area, so seems there are a few Cheeseman / Cheesman / Chiesman variations
    @AFKABartram Yes, we're just going on her lead but she knew him as a boy.   It may be Albert or similar but she was sure it was Cheesman/Cheeseman and not Chiesman as in the shop in Lewisham.   It's also backed up by the Craven FC photo on page 1.

The guy we've been pointed to who was born and married in Greenwich is named Cheesman.

Arthur Cheesman would fit the profile too.

Birth registered in Greenwich December quarter of 1935, mother's maiden name Swinyard. In the September quarter of 1958 there is a marriage registered in Greenwich of an Arthur Cheesman to a Beryl Eastwood or Eastman. (The same source shows both names.). In the December quarter of 1961 the birth of a Mandy Cheesman, mother's maiden name Eastwood, was registered in Woolwich and in the March quarter of 1968 the birth of a Nicola Cheesman was registered in Lewisham. There is no known offspring from the maiden name Eastman so I suspect Eastwood is actually the correct maiden name.
  • Options
    This is the team for the job, they never fail to get their man.    Cheeseman could appear on the pitch at half time being gently hugged by Davina.  Nicky Campbell standing back with a knowing look on his face, Red Robin playing softly in the backround, not a dry eye in the house ... well apart you know who.

Image result for long lost family  
  • Options
    Which TV detective would solve this mystery in the quickest time?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is the 'circulation' of Charlton Life? In other words how many people read it? Are there such figures available?

My hope is that by posting some family information a relative of Arthur Chees(e)man might become aware of the search and solve the mystery.

Failing that I'll vote for Endeavour.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Bergerac, with John Nettles, he will be all over like a rash.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    What is the 'circulation' of Charlton Life? In other words how many people read it? Are there such figures available?

My hope is that by posting some family information a relative of Arthur Chees(e)man might become aware of the search and solve the mystery.

I was hoping to rouse interest to help your efforts by saying yesterday that not many people are interested but sadly the reverse psychology hasn't worked this time - i tried
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The New Tricks team will have this sorted in no time
  • Options
    Not the Sweeney then?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Interesting thread. 

Two things:

Arthur Cheesman would fit the profile too.

Birth registered in Greenwich December quarter of 1935, mother's maiden name Swinyard. In the September quarter of 1958 there is a marriage registered in Greenwich of an Arthur Cheesman to a Beryl Eastwood or Eastman. (The same source shows both names.). In the December quarter of 1961 the birth of a Mandy Cheesman, mother's maiden name Eastwood, was registered in Woolwich and in the March quarter of 1968 the birth of a Nicola Cheesman was registered in Lewisham. There is no known offspring from the maiden name Eastman so I suspect Eastwood is actually the correct maiden name.

Bit of a long-shot or divine co-incidence - there is a Nicola Cheesman living in Lewisham at the moment - cohabiting with a Howard Marshall - may have lived uncomfortably close to the Toolbox for a while. If anyone has any credits spare on 192.com then that should give the full address although a whole bunch of us turning up at her home might not go down too well - especially if she is a Spanner....... 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If you were to ask @AFKABartram he might be in a position to give you some idea as to how many visitors there are to Charlton Life, where they log in from, how long they stay connected, how many page views they make, etc... 

If you were to ask @NapaAddick he might just guess somewhere around 75 million. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    There's an Arthur R Cheeseman who possibly lives in Belverdere Kent, DA17 (based on 2008 electoral roll) with a Norah J Cheeseman. Norah not really a modern name.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:
    There's an Arthur R Cheeseman who possibly lives in Belverdere Kent, DA17 (based on 2008 electoral roll) with a Norah J Cheeseman. Norah not really a modern name.
    That’s Batty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Him off the Roquefort Files
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It won't be Poirot, those Belgians can't run a bath.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It won't be Poirot, those Belgians can't run a bath.

Or a Football Club !
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:
    A family of Cheesmans lived up the road from me in Belvedere DA17 when I was growing up. Don't recall any kind of Charlton connection which is why I didn't mention them earlier. I do seem to remember them claiming Elton John (Reg Dwight) as a distant relation!
  • Options
    I know a Cheeseman family from Belvedere too.  But dont think its the one either of you mean but just checking their christian names. 
  • Options
    Arthur R Cheeseman was definitely at the Belverdere address in 2008
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

well for this thread

• Options
    The good news is that the Arthur Cheesman that I was given an address for in Berkshire rang me and he is a Charlton fan who remembers the cup final well.

The bad news is that he listened to it on the radio with his family so isn't the boy in the photograph.

So perhaps my original source had the wrong name all along, as that old cynic @AFKABartram thought, or it was a different Arthur Cheesman which seems unlikely.

The hunt continues.
  • Options
    I once saw Mr Cheese play live in Dartford Park. It's a small clue but worth mentionning.
  • Options
    I think the boy in the photo could in fact be Alfred E. Neuman.
    He has form for this kind of thing.