Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sint Truiden vs Genk abandoned

2»

Comments

• Options
    Also been to one game. I think it was the last game of the season (?). All I remember was some sort of perculiar tribal song like thing that the 'ultras' did at the end - together with the players. Very odd.
  • Options
    Also been to one game. I think it was the last game of the season (?). All I remember was some sort of perculiar tribal song like thing that the 'ultras' did at the end - together with the players. Very odd.
    The Haka ?
  • Options
    The Haka ?
    I think that was just you, me, Prague and Threadkiller and those two old sorts @PragueAddick pulled that did that mate. In that bar at stupid o/clock, remember? 😂😂

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    The Haka ?
    I think that was just you, me, Prague and Threadkiller and those two old sorts @PragueAddick pulled that did that mate. In that bar at stupid o/clock, remember? 😂😂

Ha ha the black hole of our lives , Belgium beer is a little too strong for a lightweight like me ! 
  • Options
    Plenty of people watch on the concourse at The Valley.
  • Options
    One word - Why?
  • Options
    Seriously? 

The thing about STVV concourse is that it is fully enclosed and heated. I didn't even know the monitors at the Valley show a live feed, they've always been on Soccer Saturday, surely?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    One word - Why?
    No idea, I just know it happens, or happened, at least。
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    The Haka ?

Ha ha the black hole of our lives , Belgium beer is a little too strong for a lightweight like me ! 
    Too be fair we drinking on the 0900 Eurostar so it had been a long day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    The Haka ?

Lightweight? When we got to that place and found you at the bar, standing up, fast asleep, with your hand nevertheless firmly grasping your beer, I was assured that it is a technique you have perfected over many years. Looked pretty impressive to me :-)

I'm a bit more concerned about @T_C_E  's memory of events...:-)

Overall I quite liked S-T as a town, and really enjoyed the whole weekend.  But the game that night really was a depressing business, mainly because we discovered that people really do pay to get in and then watch the match on TV on the concourse, because it's warmer there. And the fact that while a few of them turned out to support the march, which was great, it really was a few of them. Most of the normal fans seemed to be on tranquillisers that night, hence the initial scepticism about this story. 
    I forgot the sleeping standing up, the best one was handing his phone to a perfect stranger asking him to tell the cab company where the hell we were! 
  • Options
    Seriously? 

The thing about STVV concourse is that it is fully enclosed and heated. I didn't even know the monitors at the Valley show a live feed, they've always been on Soccer Saturday, surely?
    With nice glass sliding doors to keep the heat in. ;)
  • Options
    All in all there was far more action in that central square than in two hours at the commercial complex known as Stayen. And the good citizens seemed quite intrigued to be hosting us.

I vote for a return, assuming you lot are still allowed across the Channel....
  • Options

Was it The Chicken Song?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    One of the things about Stayen is that it does have a small,designated terrace standing area in the lower north part of the West Stand, with its own beer stand and fella who comes around with Jupiler in his backpack ready to fill you up whenever - its very civilised ! (of course, if you can bear to drink Jupiler).
    As you can probably tell, i like STVV and their fans - they are a really friendly ,welcoming,accommodating bunch who as soon as show you are anti-RD welcome you into their group. The Beer from the caveman scenario above sums up their demeanour.
    In actual fact, i have an STVV friend coming to visit me in Cape Town next month, and we are going to Den Anker, the Belgian Bar in The Waterfront.
    Also, forget the sleepy country town tag - like most towns, if you want it, you will get it, whether it be Brewery,late night clubs,Red-light district,great pubs,kebab shops at 3am - if you want it , its there. Its the people who expect everything to be placed in front of their face who 'slag' it off who are a bit unknowledgeable.
  • Options
    Very true, there is a club song that is sung by the players helped by the megaphone which is thrown down from behind the goal after every game. Its a way of connecting the team with the fans - i think its fantastic that they are attempting that connection - akin to the tunnel jump- but done by the whole team - something to be commended methinks.
  • Options
    Very true, there is a club song that is sung by the players helped by the megaphone which is thrown down from behind the goal after every game. Its a way of connecting the team with the fans - i think its fantastic that they are attempting that connection - akin to the tunnel jump- but done by the whole team - something to be commended methinks.

I remember looking at the faces of the players and could see that some thought this was cringeworthy but, presumably, had to take part. Please tell me this isn't something that Roly would want?

• Options
    Its the people who expect everything to be placed in front of their face who 'slag' it off who are a bit unknowledgeable.
    Not really. I went to a football match and the atmosphere was shit. End of. 
  • Options
    Yeah I’ve been a few times, always been in their north Upper where the atmosphere has always been pretty good. Can imagine very different experience in the east stand where it’s always looked very very boring (not our east stand which can rock) 
  • Options
    To be fair ST is a lovely town.

The brewery is a bit special and the red light district is an eye opener, but as far as atmosphere at the Stayen is concerned, it really is poor - and I've been to a Genk derby game.