Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds United | Sat 28 Sep | 3pm KO | MATCH THREAD

A little early with today's match thread, because I think it'll be a good one. Bowyer and the boys will know they need to arrest the slide. Will they be able to adjust without Lyle?

Teams and news as we get it below.

Comments

• LoOkOuT said:
    A little early with today's match thread, because I think it'll be a good one. Bowyer and the boys will know they need to arrest the slide. Will they be able to adjust without Lyle?

Teams and news as we get it below.
    All match threads are good, @ross1 makes sure of that.

• I mean't the match!
  • Well if the game is good then the thread will follow...
  • Shit ton of Leeds fans on my train from london bridge.
  • Been told there is Something on Twitter that the Leeds coach is stuck in traffic still...so may be a delay with KO...
  • Well that was a shite traffic update...they have just turned up...
  • Ton of shit Leeds fans on my train from london bridge.

• Sponsored links:

• Not convinced by that. Bonne and Leko have the capability to get overwhelmed in this kind of game I reckon.
  • Not a line up I was expecting.

traffic is shocking 
  • Here's the OS:

Macauley Bonne will make his full league debut for Charlton in today’s match against Leeds United at The Valley.

International fans can watch the game live from as little as £5 with Charlton commentators Terry Smith and Greg Stubley, while domestic fans can listen to the game from £4. For more information click here.

Bonne has made two substitute appearances in the Championship since joining the club from Leyton Orient this summer for an undisclosed fee and started against Forest Green Rovers in the Carabao Cup. He replaces Tomer Hemed, who misses the game with a quad injury.

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer has made one other change to the lineup that played against Wigan Athletic last week with Chris Solly returning to the side at right back in place of Deji Oshilaja who moves to the bench.

It means Charlton will likely line-up in a diamond formation with Dillon Phillips in goal behind a back four of Solly, Tom Lockyer, Naby Sarr and Ben Purrington. Darren Pratley is expected to hold in midfield with Josh Cullen and Conor Gallagher ahead of him. 

Jonny Williams will likely operate behind Jonathan Leko and Bonne but Bowyer could switch to a 4-3-3 with Williams and Leko flanking Bonne.

Ben Amos, Jason Pearce, Jake Forster-Caskey, Chuks Aneke, Sam Field and Erhun Oztumer join Oshilaja on the substitutes bench.

Charlton: Phillips; Solly (C), Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington; Pratley, Cullen, Gallagher, Williams; Bonne, Leko

Substitutes: Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Forster-Caskey, Aneke, Field, Oztumer 

• Leeds coach turned up at 1.55, well behind the start of this match thread. 
  • Hemed injured then, no Taylor of course. So Bonne starts.

We're running out of forwards!

• Doubt Bowyer would put Bonne up front on his own, so that’s got to be a formation with 2 strikers.
  • edited September 2019
    Said on radio London earlier that Hemed was 'apparently' out. Took it with a pinch of salt. Hey ho. 🙄
  • Bonne instead of Aneke!? 
  • Injuries mounting up! 2 front line forwards and left backs injured  😳
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    Not far off the team I suggested for Wigan

Dazzler21 said:
    Phillips 
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Kayal
    Williams
    Bonne Leko

I think if we go with a young pairing up top for a smash and grab start. 

Then bring Hemed on to use his experience as the game draws on to hold out for the win.
    Kayal out and Gallagher in his place. I like the look of it.

Phillips 
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Bonne Leko
  • Toothless line up, already playing for a draw. 
  • Bonne is a surprise as is no Pearce. Hmm not sure. 
  • Little bit unsure that the diamond is right for us today.

With Leeds game exploiting the wings and at pace, might leave us a little exposed.

Solly, and Purrington carrying an injury, might be a little vulnerable.
    They're going to need some cover.

• Bonne instead of Aneke!? 
    Bowyer said recently he doesn’t see Aneke as a striker.

I like him when he’s got space to drive into, not so convinced about him off the ball in terms of work rate and closing down.
  • QPR 0 WBA 2. Not long to go
  • Frightened for Solly today but he's played unexpectedly well against some tricky opponents recently. Hope he puts in a good show
  • Leeds have named 6 loan players in their squad.....
  • Would have preferred Pearce back in for Naby.
  • Scoham said:
    Bonne instead of Aneke!? 
    Bowyer said recently he doesn’t see Aneke as a striker.

I like him when he’s got space to drive into, not so convinced about him off the ball in terms of work rate and closing down.
    I'm inclined to agree.

But at least Aneke is a bit of a unit, can hold the ball up and distribute effectively.

I can see Bows has gone with pace up front, suggesting we'll sit deeper and counter quickly.
    But the ball is not going to stick up front, and will quickly come back to put us under pressure defensively.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!