Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car insurance problem for 86-year-old fan

Can anyone help, please? My mum's car insurance expires on Sunday and she has been hit with a new quote of £1800 - up from the current £980. The problem is that she was involved in an accident in November last year when a car emerging from a car park slammed into the side of her car as she drove up a main road. The airbags went off and her car was brought to a halt (she was shaken but not seriously hurt). Then a car behind struck the rear of my mum's car. My mum's car was written off.

So, later, the underwriters tell the broker over the phone that it is one incident and my mum is not at fault.

Then, we learn a couple of weeks ago that the underwriters now say that my mum is at fault for the car hitting the rear of her car.

The brokers are baffled, as we are, at this decision. How can she be at fault when her car is immobile, pressed up against a bollard with the airbag in my mum's face?
The underwriters wouldn't speak to me when I asked just now for an explanation, saying they don't discuss these matters with the public (I need to call the broker they said...I asked for a manager who said she would look into it and call me tomorrow).

In short, I don't want my mum penalised in this way. She's not at all well and needs a car for her independence.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know about fault, but have you/her got quotes on comparison sites, moneysupermarket, gocompare, comparethemarket and confused ? 

If you haven't you should and the best time to get a cheaper quote is normally 21-30 days before renewal.
    If you leave it closer to renewal you pay more, because they know you're running out of time (presumably).
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    This reads like blatant age discrimination to me!

At worst they are cynically trying to avoid insuring an old woman by pricing her off the road. At best a lazy clerk has seen her age, looked no further and concluded that it must be her fault.

Name and shame the Company would be my instinctive reaction! 

@johnnybev1987 or @Rizzo  may be able to offer more constructive advice.

The way I read it your mother is not at fault at all and should not be penalised.
  • Options
    I don't think they are anywhere near as altruistic as their marketing department would have you believe but have you tried Saga?

They claim to support the elderly so it might work for your Mum.

https://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance
  • Options
    Thanks. I have just managed to get the broker to knock the quote down - by a measly £80. I'm waiting on tomorrow's call from the underwriter before I look elsewhere. I think I'll call 'Which' to see if they can recommend a company, as well as following up on your suggestions. 
  • Options
    Who's the broker and who's the insurer?
  • Options
    Then, we learn a couple of weeks ago that the underwriters now say that my mum is at fault for the car hitting the rear of her car.”

That is utter balls, taking into account what had just happened beforehand.

Even if it was a bog standard accident (which isn’t the case here), it’s very rarely the fault of the car in front when they’ve been hit from behind.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Is it wise for me to answer that at this stage? I don't know.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Is it wise for me to answer that at this stage? I don't know.
    Send me a PM if you'd rather.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can anyone help, please? My mum's car insurance expires on Sunday and she has been hit with a new quote of £1800 - up from the current £980. The problem is that she was involved in an accident in November last year when a car emerging from a car park slammed into the side of her car as she drove up a main road. The airbags went off and her car was brought to a halt (she was shaken but not seriously hurt). Then a car behind struck the rear of my mum's car. My mum's car was written off.

So, later, the underwriters tell the broker over the phone that it is one incident and my mum is not at fault.

Then, we learn a couple of weeks ago that the underwriters now say that my mum is at fault for the car hitting the rear of her car.

The brokers are baffled, as we are, at this decision. How can she be at fault when her car is immobile, pressed up against a bollard with the airbag in my mum's face?
    The underwriters wouldn't speak to me when I asked just now for an explanation, saying they don't discuss these matters with the public (I need to call the broker they said...I asked for a manager who said she would look into it and call me tomorrow).

In short, I don't want my mum penalised in this way. She's not at all well and needs a car for her independence.

Same thing happened to my dad who is 85 though the prang was his fault! His went up to just under 1500 which is with admiral little box. Basically they fit a box and monitor your driving. How far, how often, how fast etc could be an option for your mum.