Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bernardo Silva tweet

Comments

• Options
    what does POC stand for? 
  • Options
    what does POC stand for? 
    people of colour 
  • Options
    This all seems a bit lame compared to what went on at Hartlepool v Dover at the weekend. Genuinely surprised it hasn’t had a mention.
    https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/love-pools-hate-racism/
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Did the actual tweet have racist intentions? Absolutely not.

Does the character in the tweet have historic racist connotations? Absolutely.

Did Mendy find the tweet genuinely funny? Absolutely (he's a big boy who would speak up if he didn't. All this waffle about maybe he wanted to fit in is daft).

Should Silva have tweeted what he tweeted to a public arena? Absolutely not.

Is Twitter full of absolute pond-life? Absolutely.

Are there far too many middle aged white men that enjoy virtue signalling and preaching that they know what and how POC's think and believe? Absolutely, so stop it.

Oh my the irony. 
    Agreeing with 5 out of the 6 statements I made isn't bad. I'll take it.
    3 and a half. We don't know if mendy found it funny, or he's simply decided not to kick up a fuss because otherwise he'll just be known as that footballer that found a tweet offensive - just look at the dogpiling on the closed haka thread, who needs that?

I don't think the tweet was a smart thing to do, because of the racial wink wink nudge nudge of it all. Plus, the character looks nothing like a child mendy, except for the fact it's black.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Silly mistake really, I doubt there is any more depth / meaning to what he put. Eg. he probably doesn't understand why its racist, nor did I at first glance as I don't know the cartoon.

Its a shame it gets blown out of proportion, I understand it can offend people but sometimes it does seem overboard.

Moral of the story if you are mocking your mates don't put on social media for everyone, you don't want to see some group chats I have or abuse me and my mates give to each other (not racism) but never for the wider audience lol

PS- I tag my mate in Ginger memes, is that racist?

• Options

Silly mistake really, I doubt there is any more depth / meaning to what he put. Eg. he probably doesn't understand why its racist, nor did I at first glance as I don't know the cartoon.

Its a shame it gets blown out of proportion, I understand it can offend people but sometimes it does seem overboard.

Moral of the story if you are mocking your mates don't put on social media for everyone, you don't want to see some group chats I have or abuse me and my mates give to each other (not racism) but never for the wider audience lol

Is ginger a "race".
  • Options

Did Mendy find the tweet genuinely funny? Absolutely (he's a big boy who would speak up if he didn't. All this waffle about maybe he wanted to fit in is daft).

Are there far too many middle aged white men that enjoy virtue signalling and preaching that they know what and how POC's think and believe? Absolutely, so stop it.

Oh my the irony. 
    Agreeing with 5 out of the 6 statements I made isn't bad. I'll take it.
    3 and a half. We don't know if mendy found it funny, or he's simply decided not to kick up a fuss because otherwise he'll just be known as that footballer that found a tweet offensive - just look at the dogpiling on the closed haka thread, who needs that?

I don't think the tweet was a smart thing to do, because of the racial wink wink nudge nudge of it all. Plus, the character looks nothing like a child mendy, except for the fact it's black.

Let's call it 5.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Is ginger a "race".

whoosshhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ginger is the way forward , Ben Stokes is a god .

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I'm going to assume this was aimed at... erm, most posters on this thread except me, being neither middle aged nor white.

The last statement cuts both ways though, does it not? There's both the "offended on someone's behalf" vs the "I'm not offended so no one else should be" takes on this. I'd have thought the former is more reasonable (if still somewhat problematic) than the latter, which potentially serves as more of a precedent to legitimise forms of racism.

It's also quite amusing how someone here has used the term "snowflakes" when they themselves are so "triggered" by this little message board chat that they're thinking of contributing to a radio phone-in - and thus embodying the very outrage culture they are so upset about. Amazing stuff.
    I was going to sign off my post with '@PaddyP17 is about right with his summation', but didn't want to unnecessarily bring you back in to the fold/debate.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I'm going to assume this was aimed at... erm, most posters on this thread except me, being neither middle aged nor white.

The last statement cuts both ways though, does it not? There's both the "offended on someone's behalf" vs the "I'm not offended so no one else should be" takes on this. I'd have thought the former is more reasonable (if still somewhat problematic) than the latter, which potentially serves as more of a precedent to legitimise forms of racism.

It's also quite amusing how someone here has used the term "snowflakes" when they themselves are so "triggered" by this little message board chat that they're thinking of contributing to a radio phone-in - and thus embodying the very outrage culture they are so upset about. Amazing stuff.
    Ive re-read the thread, where is this?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Ive re-read the thread, where is this?
    It's entirely possible I've misinterpreted NLA's post at 6.56am (page two).
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I was going to sign off my post with '@PaddyP17 is about right with his summation', but didn't want to unnecessarily bring you back in to the fold/debate.
    This is about to sound a tad self-congratulatory, but I think it's probably fair enough to point back and say "look guys it's probably worth listening to the non-white guy's perspective".

You're bang on with your first five points (well, Mendy's not said anything publicly) and probably not that unfair with your last point. It's never really helpful to discuss the nuances of race on a forum overwhelmingly dominated (no matter which perspective you hold) by white men.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

This is about to sound a tad self-congratulatory, but I think it's probably fair enough to point back and say "look guys it's probably worth listening to the non-white guy's perspective".

You're bang on with your first five points (well, Mendy's not said anything publicly) and probably not that unfair with your last point. It's never really helpful to discuss the nuances of race on a forum overwhelmingly dominated (no matter which perspective you hold) by white men.
    In that case, none of us should debate the merits of a pro professional footballer or, indeed, football at all given that none (I assume) of us are pro footballers 😀
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

In that case, none of us should debate the merits of a pro professional footballer or, indeed, football at all given that none (I assume) of us are pro footballers 😀
    Haha! With the exception of Leon Cort, I don't think anyone here is, which levels the playing field somewhat!

And it's fair to say that people who have backgrounds in the sport and are thus maybe more tactically astute are recognised as such (names that come to mind are Scoham and [something like] Tutty, or something?). 
  • Options
    We got made to do a course at work called "having awkward conversations". It was dull. However, there was the point about the public space. If you put something into the public space you lose all ownership of it, including other people's reactions to it. So of you say something rude to your mate and someone overhears and is offended, they are offended. That it wasn't meant for them, or they are super sensitive, doesn't matter. You put it there and that's their reaction. Either don't put something into a public space or just accept you actually don't care how people react. Be this guy (Nsfw)

https://youtu.be/s_padKPbfDo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When is "love thy neighbour" coming back on TV.
  • Options
    Quality TV that chippy. 
  • Options
    if Mendy posted a tweet comparing Silva with, say, a Simpsons character i doubt if anybody would have been bothered / offended ...
  • Options
    Quality TV that chippy. 
    Agreed mate... Some of the Liberal pansies here heads would blow up if they watched an episode of that. 
  • Options
    Ditto
  • Options
    I'd rather live in a world where we are (arguably) over the top like this than where we were 30 / 40 years ago where there was genuine racism, racial tensions within communities and general prejudice, or other countries who brush these problems under the carpet and let it fester and you end up with things like monkey chants at football.  
    You were not a fan of Love thy Neighbour then?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Quality TV that chippy. 
    Rambo,  I have the complete series on DVD if you want to have a look mate.
  • Options
    I'd rather live in a world where we are (arguably) over the top like this than where we were 30 / 40 years ago where there was genuine racism, racial tensions within communities and general prejudice, or other countries who brush these problems under the carpet and let it fester and you end up with things like monkey chants at football.  
    You were not a fan of Love thy Neighbour the

Indeed everyone has lost their sense of proportion, too many sly individuals like above at me when trying to shed a joke, are trying to rule the roost.. 

I work and am in charge of our black friends and they are sick of them, they say as long as its not directed at them as individuals and is not nasty they don't care... Plus they give better than they receive...

• Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the joke per se, if it was in the context of a private conversation between a group of friends where boundaries are set. It's spectacularly naive to publish that joke in the way that he did though. 

Myself and @PaddyP17 will have jokes in private because we are friends, but I wouldn't dream of posting some of my pisstaking to him on here for example! 

Interested to hear your thoughts on that mate.