Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RNLI

inevitable but sad where the country is going, we should only save Brits, if it's Jonny Foreigner let them drown

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/rnli-loses-donors-because-money-16923917

Comments

• Options
    I give it 5 posts...
  • Options
    *waits for the almost-inevitable "It's not the Royal International Lifeboat Institute.."*
  • Options
    RNLI are pulling a few foreigners out the English Channel.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I doubt many of those frothing mouth twitter posters really gave to the organisation in the first place. 
  • Options
    Hmm  - the article I read said about sending funds abroad whilst cutting their budget and reducing services in this country which has led to the outcry.
  • Options
    I'm here for the virtue signalling.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waiting for report on how many of the seamen saved around our shores are actually British and asking if we should be wasting money saving foreigners.
  • Options
    Probably a whoosh but is saving foreigners wasting money?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Obviously, to some people it is and just as obviously those people are wasting oxygen.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Probably?????
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    With the ongoing issue down here re the small boats coming over  it is repeated daily in the local press by the RNLI there mission is "saving lives at sea" --- no concern who or why they are in trouble. God bless them and their bravery.

If true that some of the is going to overseas charities that are NOT related to saving lives at sea then I don't understand why they would do it.That's it the story is true in the first place

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilma said:
    Thanks for the link @Wilma

If those so outraged took the time to read it, so long as they aren’t still spluttering over their cornflakes, they might actually get to understand what the RNLI are doing - sharing their expertise - and how it is funded - often by donors who have asked for specific projects to be helped.

Anyone who thinks that their original vision that they ‘should extend our views [of drowning prevention] from our own immediate coasts, to the most remote quarters of the globe, and to every neighbouring state’ doesn’t remain valid, really does need to look at themselves. You aren’t a pretty sight!
  • Options
    What the feck is wrong with is country. We are really turning into an inward looking, spiteful, distrustful selfish, greedy and stupid nation. 
    Mr Farage has alot to answer for
    No he isn't.. Proof.... 
  • Options
    I don't agree with those RNLI donors who are outraged by 2% going abroad, but they are entitled to not give money if they disagree with how it's being spent. 

After all if I raised money to pay for a ward at my local hospital, and it went to one in Southampton instead I wouldn't be happy. I imagine most people give money to the RNLI to fund lifeboats saving lives in our seas, in the same way people give money to Oxfam to fund overseas aid and wouldn't want it spent in the UK.
  • Options
    Who is criticising them for not contributing?
    They are bring criticised (a) for having such parochial uncharitable xenophobic views and (b) the motivation for bothering telling the charity and (c) them thinking their view is of public interest.