Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Training Ground Plans Submitted

From Senine Magazine 

New plans for the development of Charlton Athletic's training ground at Sparrows Lane in New Eltham have been submitted for approval.

The new plans suggested a renewed commitment by club owner Roland Duchatelet who scrapped the previously approved time-table when the club was languishing in Division One.

Although scaled-down slightly from the previous versions, the new plans still include a purpose-built indoor facility and two storey pavilion to house state-of-the-art training equipment and accommodation.

It is unclear whether the plans will involve the facilities being classified as 'Category 1'  by the football authorities, as this comes with huge staffing commitments.

However, the move suggests a renewed optimism around the club's future after its impressive start to life in the Championship, which sees the club sitting in second place in the division and outside hopes of a return to the riches of the Premiership.

It remains unclear Duchatelet's game-plan for the club, which at one time involved a sale to others, which might now be on hold pending results over the coming season.

The plans are likely to sail through the planning process as the club enjoys a close relationship with Greenwich Council. Previous requests by its close neighbours, the Friends of Avery Hill Park for help with landscaping were dismissed by the club but will be renewed by the group which, while happy with the club's ambitions for New Eltham, is itself is anxious to improve the amenity value of the local area.

As part of its expansion at New Eltham,, CAFC has combined with Footscray Road sports club to provide new public facilities and a new vehicle entrance from the west.

Comments

• Well well well.
    Bit of a surprise this.
    Clearly a long way to go yet, but at least we have made a start with the Lookman Trench.
  • He's staying.
  • Roland aint going anywhere
  • Huge news if true. Not sure it means anything regarding the takeover though, more likely Gallen has requested this
  • That trench won't finish itself

• I hope they didn't actually write Premiership.
  • are they providing evian or buxton for this season to the players?

a few seem to forget this is the owner than refused drinking water to some players 
  • are they providing evian or buxton for this season to the players?

a few seem to forget this is the owner than refused drinking water to some players 
    He refused bottle water, when filtered tap water was widely available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dig for victory?
  • Huge tracts of land - value "x" 
    Huge tracts of land with planning permission granted - value "a bit more than x" 

(For detailed numbers, please refer to @NapaAddick)
  • I fear this thread has the potential to rival the "Sale of Charlton" thread in terms of longevity and lack of news of progress.

Longevity because past experience suggests nothing is going to be built in a hurry.

Lack of progress because I can't see RD putting his hand deep enough into his pocket, so unless there is a massive grant which will pay for it...???

I wonder if it is a case of there being a time limit on the existing planning permission, so something has to be done in order for RD to offer the training ground for sale "with planning permission" for the development?  The alternative, that RD has decided to forget about selling CAFC is too grim for our future to contemplate.
  • edited September 2019
    By my reckoning, there will be sufficient facilities to comply with the Premier League, Category 1 Youth Development requirements.

• Getting the planning permission is one thing.....doing anything about it is another.
    However, it’s certainly a good thing as it will be another advantageous selling point should a suitable buyers offer come to fruition somewhere down the line.
  • Good news but we've been here before.

Meire and Keohane promised to my face that the training would be completed in 2018.

They have shown us photos of the same few trenches time and time again.

When some walls and rooves appear then I'll believe it.

PS. Does planning permission expire after five years?
    not if the work has been started I believe
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    Addickted said:
    By my reckoning, there will be sufficient facilities to comply with the Premier League, Category 1 Youth Development requirements.

Looks like a train exiting a tunnel.

I'm sold.

Meire and Keohane promised to my face that the training would be completed in 2018.

I know where you're coming from, but something seems different this time around.
    To me anyway
  • cafc_will said:
    From Senine Magazine 

New plans for the development of Charlton Athletic's training ground at Sparrows Lane in New Eltham have been submitted for approval.

The new plans suggested a renewed commitment by club owner Roland Duchatelet who scrapped the previously approved time-table when the club was languishing in Division One.

Although scaled-down slightly from the previous versions, the new plans still include a purpose-built indoor facility and two storey pavilion to house state-of-the-art training equipment and accommodation.

It is unclear whether the plans will involve the facilities being classified as 'Category 1'  by the football authorities, as this comes with huge staffing commitments.

However, the move suggests a renewed optimism around the club's future after its impressive start to life in the Championship, which sees the club sitting in second place in the division and outside hopes of a return to the riches of the Premiership.

It remains unclear Duchatelet's game-plan for the club, which at one time involved a sale to others, which might now be on hold pending results over the coming season.

The plans are likely to sail through the planning process as the club enjoys a close relationship with Greenwich Council. Previous requests by its close neighbours, the Friends of Avery Hill Park for help with landscaping were dismissed by the club but will be renewed by the group which, while happy with the club's ambitions for New Eltham, is itself is anxious to improve the amenity value of the local area.

As part of its expansion at New Eltham,, CAFC has combined with Footscray Road sports club to provide new public facilities and a new vehicle entrance from the west.
    We usually only get training ground updates before a scheduled CARD protest.

Is Roland being over cautious here? Or has something happened to Roland that hasn't reached the public domain yet

• Something has happened since he had the rant about Bowyer not signing a contract and then about the protests. I am waiting for "the catch".  If you look at it logically it is like going back in time and Roland promising things. Has he taken a "bang to the head". Gallen is now officially a Director of the same job he was doing before but seems to have more say now. It is almost he has been given advice from someone "Hey Roland. Look what they have done. Look at that Wembley crowd. That is what Charlton could have with a filled ground. Everybody happy. Bowyer has done that. He has got the crowd together, worked miracles with the budget and got them up with the aid of Gallen. They are really goof football people. Not Meire. Why don't you have Gallen in overall charge? Then Gallen (after being approached 4 months ago has now said "Roland, if you get that training ground built properly we can attract good youngsters coming through to balance with experience ones?". We can develop our own instead of loaning Leko. Gallagher etc" where we can sell them on for good money". We can compete financially if the club is run right" and guess what Roly me old mate. Did you watch the play offs... between Derby and Villa. All that lovely jubbly can come your way. New Training ground, Cat 1 or 2. Good players being developed, sign them on longer deals and when we do sell them we get them for good money me old china. "  Maybe Roland's rant was his way of letting off steam when he thought Bowyers was not going to sign and was panicking. 
  • Ok moving on to the house analogy, if you have a 4 bedroom house and gain planning permission to extend & improve to a 5 bedroom house. Then put the house on the market it will be given a higher valuation than it had previously without planning by the agent. 
  • Ok moving on to the house analogy, if you have a 4 bedroom house and gain planning permission to extend & improve to a 5 bedroom house. Then put the house on the market it will be given a higher valuation than it had previously without planning by the agent. 
    I agree. That's logical but we don't know what goes on in Roland's head.

If he is looking to sell why build now?
    He hasn't been able to and it means spending his own money.

Reading between the lines it could be that he is getting itchy feet. Move Gallen "upstairs" to have a proper footballing appointment and then build up the training ground to add value added to that, we have momentum. He saw Sheff Utd, Villa going up, can we get in the next Gallaghers, the Leko's,  etc. Maybe Galllen has sold him the idea of Category 1 and 2 over other clubs and what we could attract with young footballers going forward. 

I know where you're coming from, but something seems different this time around.
    To me anyway
    Why?
  • what do you reckon SoundAsa£