Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your personal favourite Museum (apart from Charlton)

124»

Comments

• Options
    They might've had, arguably, the biggest hand in defeating Hitler and the boche, but if I can't take my Samsung S22 in, they can stick their f ckin museum where the sun don't shine....
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    The old Rotunda up the barracks. Got fond memories of riding up through the deer park on our bikes to look round in there. 
    My old man used to take me there, great place. Just looked it up and it’s no longer used for anything and is classed as at risk. Real shame.
    I was told they took a lot of the exhibits down to Firepower at the Arsenal when it closed, but now it's all in storage in Birmingham?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    The old Rotunda up the barracks. Got fond memories of riding up through the deer park on our bikes to look round in there. 
    My old man used to take me there, great place. Just looked it up and it’s no longer used for anything and is classed as at risk. Real shame.
    I was told they took a lot of the exhibits down to Firepower at the Arsenal when it closed, but now it's all in storage in Birmingham?
    A funny man called Chris (I think) drove them down to Firepower and told me off for calling them tanks when they were “clearly” self-propelled guns”…
    Think they’re all down in the West Country somewhere now….
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    cafckev said:
    My new absolute favourite is the Kent Battle Of Britain Museum in Hawkinge. It’s the largest museum dedicated to the Battle of Britain in the world without doubt the most complete collection of histories of all the pilots who took part. 
    Well worth a visit on the old airfield and hopefully next year, they’ll purchase an extra parcel of land (more of the old airfield) to extend even more.
    Do they still stop you taking photos in there? Wasn’t the most visitor friendly place when I went.
    Unfortunately they still don’t allow photos and you have to leave your phone either in your car or at the front desk. They have lots of volunteers wandering around to help answering questions and a very nice cafe too
    WTF... Why the hell not?
    They cite security reasons but it’s quite frankly ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous. 
    Imagine if the Russians found out about our equipment.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Dave2l said:
    Anyone been to the Auschwitz concentration camp Museum in Poland?

Friend of a friend went. 

Heard it's a life changing experience and it changes a large part of your general perspective.
    No but I know a lot of people who have.  Not sure about changing a large part of your general perspective as that will depend on what it was before you went.

I was working with someone, British, in Poland a few years back and they said their Buddhist boyfriend had been there and had said it had a bad vibe about it. 

It was a fecking concentration camp, of course it had a "bad vibe" 

Never forget, never again.
    Go. That is my advice It is a thought provoking experience and Krakow generally is a good place to look around including the Salt mines. 
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of the above, but must reserve a shout-out for a now, sadly, defunct museum: the Museum of the Moving Image, which was on the South Bank!
  • Options
    Any IWM

Chatham Dockyard

But Beamish in the North East is also excellent
  • Options
    V&A
    Foundling Museum
    John Soames House

9/11 museum in Manhattan

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Chatham Dockyard.
    Battle of Britain Museum - Hawkhinge.
    Spitfire and Hurricane museum - Manston.
    Imperial War Museum.
    Country life museum - Dudley.
    Mercedes museum - Stuttgart
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    My new absolute favourite is the Kent Battle Of Britain Museum in Hawkinge. It’s the largest museum dedicated to the Battle of Britain in the world without doubt the most complete collection of histories of all the pilots who took part. 
    Well worth a visit on the old airfield and hopefully next year, they’ll purchase an extra parcel of land (more of the old airfield) to extend even more.
    Totally agree superb museum, spent 3 hours there and could easily have doubled it. Lots of stuff about German bombers and fighter pilots and where they met their demise and where they are buried.

Shame you couldn't take pictures due to thieving bastards spoiling it for others. They now have a Heinkel there which they allowed me to look into the fuselage at the cockpit and rear ends. Amazing how narrow it was nothing like you see on the war films, everyone had to crawl through it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Aushwitz Birkenhau museum really brings home what these bastards did,not for the faint hearted ,but very emotional.
    The Country Music Hall of fame Nashville is a must for followers of country music,seeing Chet Atkins first ever guitar was pretty special.
    For golf followers the Museum at St.Andrews is a must.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention The Hermitage in St.Petersburgh,wonderful exhibits but it would take a week to see them all.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Museum of popular culture, Seattle.