Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Road Accident Deaths Involving the Police

Comments

• Options
    Champs85 said:
    Every pursuit has to be dynamically risk assessed by both the driver and pursuit commander (usually an inspector in control centre). Regular assessments are provided including driving manner, weather conditions, pedestrian levels, and a grading (high, medium, low). If anyone feels at any point it is too dangerous then the pursuit is terminated. For example, driving the wrong way down a carriageway will automatically be deemed dangerous and police will stop. 

Unfortunately there are occasions that accidents happen as mentioned. But we cannot just stop chasing people, it would be like opening the gates to hell and crime would soar. 
    Afternoon Tom. ;)
  • Options
    I had a very near miss with a speeding meat wagon last year, November 24th actually. Coming down the A20 in Lee at 01:30, didn't have his sirens on and my rear view mirror had been blocked by a mattress that had been stuffed in the back.  By the time I had got to my turn off the wagon was right up my arse and was in a blind spot for side mirrors. I had no idea it was there and it had to swerve around me as I started turning the corner.
    Fortunaly I wasn't going very fast so was able to stop in time. Had it hit the side of my car I have no doubt that I would have been in serious trouble.
  • Options
    I still say arm those police helicoptors with missiles and guns... Chase over job done... No more scum to worry about.... But those that are against police chases, you wouldn't be if it was your property they were drving off with. 
  • Options
    no easy solutions are there .. ideally, 'chases' would be carried out by aircraft; copters or drones, information relayed back to ground forces who can then get in front of the pursuit and lay in ambush, stingers, blow the tyres out etc. .. whatever, it would not be easy .. oh for an ideal world ((:>)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    iainment said:

Easy one this.

Don't commit a fuckin crime then the police won't have to chase after you and you won't risk dying.

Any criminal killed running from the police is natural selection in my eyes.

And if the chaser or chasee kills someone because of the chase?

Acceptable collateral damage?
    If left to continue their chosen career they later select you/yourhome/your loved ones as victims how do you feel then, knowing the police maybe could have stopped them last week?
    At the price of death?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Latest annual police figures say 42 people died in RTAs involving the police. 15 of whom were not being pursued by them and who were innocent bystanders.
    I don't know about you but if one of my loved ones died this way because of a person being chased for a minor crime I'd be incensed. I think the majority of chases are for relatively minor crimes.

• Options
    iainment said:
    Latest police figures say 42 people died in RTAs involving the police. 15 of whom were not being purued by them and who were innocent bystanders.
    I don't know about you but if one of my loved ones died this way because of a person being chased for a minor crime I'd be incensed. I think the majority of chases are for relatively minor crimes.

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Latest police figures say 42 people died in RTAs involving the police. 15 of whom were not being purued by them and who were innocent bystanders.

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

I don't think many suspects of major crimes - such as murder, rape, serious assault etc - are subject to police chases. I think most are traffic offences.
    I'm willing to see the figures but until the police break down their stats for the public we're all left surmising.
    I do know that the number of innocent deaths caused by chases is too high and is very worrying to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    T_C_E said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

I don't think many suspects of major crimes - such as murder, rape, serious assault etc - are subject to police chases. I think most are traffic offences.
    I'm willing to see the figures but until the police break down their stats for the public we're all left surmising.
    I do know that the number of innocent deaths caused by chases is too high and is very worrying to me.
    Peter Sutcliffe caught after a routine traffic stop!
    but this was at a routine check 'road block' not a chase .. (I recall when I was in Holland, road blocks were fairly common, the main idea was to catch stoned and drunk drivers) 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    iainment said:
    Latest police figures say 42 people died in RTAs involving the police. 15 of whom were not being pursued by them and who were innocent bystanders.

Your stats are wrong. 

The Independent Office for Police Conduct says there were 42 such deaths in 2018/19 across England and Wales.

30 of the deaths were from police pursuit-related incidents and 5 came from emergency response incidents.

Of the 30 pursuit-related fatalities, 20 were the driver or passenger in the pursued vehicle.

A further 10 were in an unrelated vehicle or were a pedestrian hit by the car being pursued.

30 were pursuit related, meaning 12 weren't related to chases, this includes 5 fatalities came from other emergency response incidents. 

This means 7 were from standard RTA's in which a police car was involved and could have been any other car involved.

It's simply a danger of allowing emergency vehicles in chase or otherwise to travel at excessive speeds. 

The lives saved and criminals captured comparatively would for me probably be enough to say that it is worthwhile. 

I'd gamble your assumption about the severity of their crimes is wrong also. Unfortunately I don't have the stats for that.

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

but this was at a routine check 'road block' not a chase .. (I recall when I was in Holland, road blocks were fairly common, the main idea was to catch stoned and drunk drivers) 
    Merely pointing out that drivers are guilty of more severe crimes than traffic infringements, the police wouldn’t know until after the event. Sutcliffe was driving on false plates, should he been chased if he had driven off? 

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

If he'd tried to run there would have been a chase.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

Merely pointing out that drivers are guilty of more severe crimes than traffic infringements, the police wouldn’t know until after the event. Sutcliffe was driving on false plates, should he been chased if he had driven off? 

good point .. would he have been chased ? .. almost certainly I would think 
  • Options
    Depends on what the stop is for.  Armed robbery - go ahead.

But if it’s speeding or similar, then the risk is greater than the offence.  Even here they know to back off from a chase in a heavily populated area if it’s not a serious crime.  It’s not about the person being chased, it the bystanders that need protection. 

The info about the crime that initiated the chase is not in the report. 
    He stole the car to sell for 300 quid to feed his drug habit. As far as I'm aware, the dangerous driving only began once police started to pursue him
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain that consideration will already happen.
    Programmes in the UK about police have shown on many occasions that Police will call off chases if they deem it too dangerous, i.e. residential areas.
    Police called off a chase with the same vehicle for that reason a few days earlier in the same area
  • Options
    A helicopter following a car involved in a pursuit is still a pursuit. Funnily enough, criminals look up and will do anything to get away. 

This is another twisted article from the IOPC. The deaths will also include incidents whereby the vehicle being pursued has crashed. 

If you got burgled, robbed or stabbed - you would want the police to pursue. Police drivers who are allowed to pursue go through very high levels of training and levels of pressure. So to say it’s adrenaline fuelled is a bit of an insult when police driver’s generally stay incredibly calm. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

I can assure you that you’re wrong. 
  • Options
    if the cops were shooting dead 50 people a year there would be a national outcry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if the cops were shooting dead 50 people a year there would be a national outcry
    But they're not, are they?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    But they're not, are they?
    no mush, they are killing them in road chases
  • Options
    I'd like to see that number rise by police wiping out the little shits on scooters that go around armed with hammers & acid............
  • Options
    Cars should have an engine cut-out device fitted which the police can activate if a driver decides not to stop.
  • Options
    Cars should have an engine cut-out device fitted which the police can activate if a driver decides not to stop.
    How would you isolate the signal so you don't dangerously cut out the engines of other cars?
  • Options
    I'm not a tech expert but you must be able to have a cut out device that emits a signal unique to a specific car bit like an iPhone has a find-me feature. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

You think?
    So you don’t know. 
    Do you?

I can assure you that you’re wrong. 
    Well that's all right then if you say so.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    How would you isolate the signal so you don't dangerously cut out the engines of other cars?
    Don't bother with that.  Just get a universal button for all police.  Hit it once and every car in the country immediately stops.  
  • Options
    I'm not a tech expert but you must be able to have a cut out device that emits a signal unique to a specific car bit like an iPhone has a find-me feature. 
    No shit!  :lol: