Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Toon enter Bent race" as Varney vents anger at Spurs

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
[cite]http://www.kentonline.co.uk/charlton/article.asp?article_id=33027&startrecord=2[/cite]CHARLTON'S sale of leading scorer Darren Bent took a new twist when Newcastle entered the bidding for the England striker.

With Michael Owen's future at St James's Park becoming increasingly uncertain, Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce turned his attentions to Bent who fits the bill for the role of lone striker in his preferred 4-5-1 formation.

Newcastle moved into contention as Charlton chief executive Peter Varney reiterated the club's stance over their £17million valuation of the player.

He was responding to Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy's declaration that the club had agreed a record £16million for Bent.

Mr Varney retorted: "Despite what's coming out of Tottenham, nobody, apart from West Ham, has matched our valuation.

"It's unfortunate that the Tottenham chairman is conducting his business through the media."

Comments

• Options
    If Toon get their house in order i would not mind him going there, but thats only because my mum and nan and Geordies!
  • Options
    "Tottenham Hotspur and Charlton Athletic are believed to have agreed"

Meaning we don't know if they have but we'll put this to press cos we haven't got anything else to print and then if they don't we can blame our "source" rather than look like a lying bunch of lazy twats
  • Options
    BBC are believing it as well....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6248774.stm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]"Tottenham Hotspur and Charlton Athleticare believedto have agreed"

Meaning we don't know if they have but we'll put this to press cos we haven't got anything else to print and then if they don't we can blame our "source" rather than look like a lying bunch of lazy twats
    Blimey that got you heated! They don't print endless gossip, so I reckon there is something in it ....
  • Options
    I think the compromise is that we'll knock off Ipswich's share from the £17M
  • Options
    I'm feeling sad, the realisation that DB is off has hit me.......
  • Options
    This is, basically, still Spurs doing its business through journalists.

Like they always do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]This is, basically, still Spurs doing its business through journalists.

Like they always do.

Agreed
  • Options
    true
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No doubt Eto will also join Dazza at WHL!
  • Options
    DB has gotta be mad going to them he'll end up being a bench warmer
  • Options
    Spurs are in Europe they'll be playing 60 odd games next season, he'll have plenty of game time.

Spurs front line is looking a bit tasty isn't it? arguably better than anything the top 4 can offer
  • Options
    it's not over yet the bbc understands, like they understood we were being taken over. i'm very confident this board will hold out for 15m plus add ons for england appearances, champs league etc
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: eeladdick[/cite]DB has gotta be mad going to them he'll end up being a bench warmer[/quote]

It all depends if Defoe stays and how far they get in Europe. I think he'll get plenty of games.