Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dart Charge

Very soon after purchasing a new car I used the Dartford crossing but then forgot to pay (I do have an account but it was under my old car’s registration).
i phoned about a week later to try and pay but they said I’d have to wait for the reminder letter (£2.50 for first offence).
No letter came and it occurred to me that it might have gone to the dealer’s (Inchcape).
I phoned Dart Charge last week and they essentially confirmed this, saying the letter had been issued to “a company”. It had not been responded to, so was moving through the various stages of penalty.

So I phoned the dealership last week; in the meantime they’ve been sold to Motorline. To be fair they have promised to chase up but I’m wondering what my exposure is here? As far as I know I was the registered owner at the time of the crossing but even if the paperwork hadn’t gone through and I wasn’t, it was still me driving.

Of course, if Inchcape had responded promptly at the time it would all have been sorted anyway.

Comments

• Options
    When I changed cars, I entered the wrong registration. So, the first time I drove over, I got a fine but as it was the first time for me and the car, if I paid within x amount of days, all I had to pay was the actual charge for using the crossing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Would dart charge accept a payment from you without being the recipienr of their letter?
     Edit having read your post properly; That seems to be a process limitation on their part(?)
  • Options
    When I changed my car I forgot to put the new reg in and received a fine through the post. I added the car to my account and emailed to explain I had forgotten to include this car on my account. They cancelled the fine and just charged me the crossing fee.
  • Options
    I always forget to register a courtesy/ hire car.....and then when I do I always forget to remove it when I get my old/new one back. I have twice paid for someone else's Dartcharge because they have subsequently driven the courtesy car I had before them.

might as well stick it on my tab.....
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    When I changed cars, I entered the wrong registration. So, the first time I drove over, I got a fine but as it was the first time for me and the car, if I paid within x amount of days, all I had to pay was the actual charge for using the crossing.
    Made that mistake myself, new car and i got two letters of the reg number round the wrong way.  I remember them being ok as i just paid up the toll and called myself a twat a bit...
  • Options
    I always forget to register a courtesy/ hire car.....and then when I do I always forget to remove it when I get my old/new one back. I have twice paid for someone else's Dartcharge because they have subsequently driven the courtesy car I had before them.

might as well stick it on my tab.....
    Even if they tried they couldn't add to their own account as the system would block it as still on yours!